Missed Rugby League?

Started by markb, October 16, 2011, 04:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markb

Can ICE or anybody suggest how best to set up ICE so that I don't miss the top Rugby League games? E.g. we missed the Rugby League Trans Tasman Test today because it had a different title to all the other NRL and representative games (actually we just missed the start because my wife was out and heard about it so she madly called me to record it manually). Given that sport, particularly the footy codes in Oz, are usually of strong interest to most ICE subscribers then there must be a better way for ICE to accommodate this?

If I use just a generic keyword search, e.g. "Rugby League" then I will get way too much junk recorded. I am not interested in the footy chat shows, local leagues etc. All I want (and most subscribers I suspect) is the NRL and representative games. How can I set up ICE to always get these games but not the junk?

jillmess

Keyword record for title:"Rugby League". 

markb

Quote from: jillmess on October 16, 2011, 06:15:59 PM
Sorry, but you must have missed the second paragraph of my post.

Madeleine IceGuide

You're correct that the genre or keyword "rugby league" will pick up anything tagged rugby league, which is too broad for your purposes.

One possibility is to create an extra genre, eg. Rugby League International. We could tag games like the one yesterday (as well as any future series the network creates for various international RL games), but leave it off things like the NRL Championship series and State of Origin.

Would that work for you?

jillmess

Quote from: markb on October 16, 2011, 11:08:52 PM
Quote from: jillmess on October 16, 2011, 06:15:59 PM
Sorry, but you must have missed the second paragraph of my post.
Nope - wasn't there when I posted my reply.

My approach is that it is easier to delete timers/recordings that I don't want, rather than missing something that I do - so I am quite happy to have some fairly broad keyword searches.  You can filter out quite a lot of the unwanted "stuff" by using the -title: option.  For example, I have the following keyword record - title:"Cycling" -title:BMX -title:"Mountain Bike" -title:MTB - that filters out anything with BMX, MTB or Mountain Bike in the title.

markb

Quote from: Madeleine at IceTV on October 17, 2011, 12:34:32 PM
Would that work for you?

Madeleine, I am not posting here particularly for myself. I am interested in the long term viability of ICETV and make posts like this merely because I think this another example where ICE could do better. I am suggesting to ICE that the vast majority of ICE subscribers who watch RL really only want the NRL games and representative games (SOW, internationals, etc). So personally I think that a simple "rugby league:" keyword tag should catch those games and not all the other rubbish (no Qld/local cup, no footy talk shows, etc) given that this is the "obvious" keyword search to set up for this. Or else ICE should publish a list of special keyword sets for each of the footy (and other sports?) codes at the start of each year and post that out in an email newsletter? I really think the Rugby L, Rugby U, and AFL sport are special cases which ICE should deal better with given they have such relatively enormous following in Oz. I miss a few top RL games per season because I don't bother to keep on top of the tag/titles changes and I bet plenty of others do also. There has to be a better way than the way it works now.

Madeleine IceGuide

We won't be removing the rugby league tag from any programs that are rugby league.

In your case the best solution is to refine your keyword recordings more than you currently do eg. rugby league  -entertainment and rugby league -talk show would automatically skip programs you don't like such as the Footy Show, One Week At A Time etc.

Dave at IceTV

It's just a matter of using the advanced search and refining yuor search terms until the results return what you want.  The good thing about the search engine is that it will also show you results from shows that have been on in the past.

Something like the following will do what you want:
-title:Roast genre:"Rugby League" -genre:Entertainment -genre:Documentary -genre:"Talk Show" -genre:Children -genre:"Real Life"
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

markb

Dave, your expression still captures heaps of junk which the regular footy viewer is not interested in (and probably misses games they are?). I don't think any text based match expression can capture what I am saying regular footy viewers want. Unfortunately I think it probably needs explicit tagging by ICE with a "pseudo-keyword" for NRL plus representative games. So TFH I guess ..

Dave at IceTV

I beg to differ. It removed the 8 documentaries and talk shows and left the 23 Rugby League matches (plus 2 others: 'Manly Night Football' and 'Rugby League's Greatest Ever'). I could have filtered those last 2 out but I wasn't sure if 'Manly Night Football' was a talk show or an actual football match, and I though fans of Rugby League would want 'Rugby League's Greatest Ever'. My search removed exactly what I wanted it to and left me with exactly what I wanted.

The point is, you can refine it or simplify it as much as you want. And because the search engine also searches on shows in the past you can test and refine your search until it works the way you want it to.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service