No EPG data for ONE SD from Wed onwards

Started by JPP, February 06, 2010, 09:40:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPP

I've just noticed that there is no EPG data for ONE SD (which is a copy of ONE HD in metropolitan areas) from Wed 10th 10.30pm onwards. You can see it on the ICETV TV Guide web page. I first noticed on my TRF2400 Toppy and thought at first that it was a problem on the Toppy, but it's not!! There is data all the way up to Friday 19th for ONE HD though (on both the Toppy and ICETV TV Guide web page), and as ONE SD is just a carbon copy of ONE HD, there should be no reason for this.

This can create a problem for some PVRs as timers set for any show that is on after Wed midnight will come back with an error and unless manually resent (after the EPG has become populated for that show), you will miss that recording.

ICETV normally sends out one off timers about 5 days ahead, so unless the EPG is fixed up by tomorrow and the PVR has received the updated EPG data from ICETV, it will result in a missed recording.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

tonymy01

??  The Beyonwiz sets timers independently of EPG, is the Topfield any different?
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

JPP

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 06, 2010, 11:21:39 PM
??  The Beyonwiz sets timers independently of EPG, is the Topfield any different?
Yes, the 2400 and 7100HD+ appear to need a valid EPG entry to allow a timer to be set. Not quite sure why. Could it be that this is connected with FTA behaviour where perhaps it tries to allow now and next broadcaster entries to update a timer? As you say and I totally agree, when using ICETV EPG data there is no need at all to have a vaild EPG entry.

Going on a couple of other things (can't quite conjur them up atm), I think that they have tried to make FTA and ICETV EPG operation as similar as possible and in doing so have stuffed a couple of things up. One annoying difference for example is that you can change channel by pressing OK when using FTA EPG, but not when using ICETV EPG? Hopefully the next FW will solve these pesky little things. Otherwise, my 2400 is now fully stable using ICETV, hasn't missed a beat wrt recordings unless there's no EPG entry for it and happily allows itself to be turned off when not in use.
Phil.

JPP

Have just got through to ICETV. They have acknowledged the problem and will be fixing it shortly.
Phil.

JPP

Quote from: JPP on February 08, 2010, 04:17:06 PM
Have just got through to ICETV. They have acknowledged the problem and will be fixing it shortly.
Obviously not too many people are worried about this, but, just for the record, the gaps still haven't been filled. Thursday pm till Sunday PM is still empty (no EPG data). Monday pm and from then on it's OK again.
Phil.

JPP

Quote from: JPP on February 10, 2010, 08:30:17 PM
Quote from: JPP on February 08, 2010, 04:17:06 PM
Obviously not too many people are worried about this, but, just for the record, the gaps still haven't been filled. Thursday pm till Sunday PM is still empty (no EPG data). Monday pm and from then on it's OK again.
Ok, now fixed I see - thanks. Holes/gaps/no_information in the EPG stuff up timers on a lot of PVRs if the timer or a recurring timer is set for a time slot that doesn't have an EPG entry - that's why it's important not to have any!!
Phil.

JPP

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 06, 2010, 11:21:39 PM
You sure about this Tony? I seem to recall reading in the Wiz Forums, that duplicate LCNs stuff up recordings, or is that only because the chosen LCN doesn't have a service attached to it? Have you ever tried emptying out the EPG (clearing out the cache as well) to see if timers are still set by ICETV? Might be difficult to do/prove as once the "timers" have come in from ICETV, it may create the timers on the PVR almost instantaneously from the Program ID before you get a chance to delete the EPG data.

On my 2400 Toppy, the first Reservation fetch occurs one half hour after turn on, followed by an EPG and Reservation fetch a half hour later. If it's the same on the Wiz, then there is an opportunity to wipe the EPG just after the first one hour EPG and Reservation fetch, immediately followed by setting a fresh Reservation (timer) up on ICETV. There should thus be no EPG data when the Reservation is sent out, provided ICETV sends it our pretty well straight away after you set it. Choose a program that needs to start pretty well straighaway - I find that ICETV does prioritise timers. I'll be very interested to see what you find - we're still trying to nail down some quirks wrt timers on the 2400/7100HD+ - your feedback might shed some light on things by knowing how the Wiz does all of this.
Phil.

tonymy01

I am positive about that.   I notice that if the timers come before the EPG (which does happen, say, when the LAN is down for a few days... happened to me, actually the DNS, never noticed it until the EPG had run out, which meant timers also hadn't got set, fixed the DNS and bingo, timers thru first, followed by EPG), the timers won't get named, this is the only side effect.   They are named the channel name only with * in front of it.
Duplicate LCNs *do* stuff things up, but this is only due to not managing to set timers for a channel that has good reception, as the Wiz maps based on scanning (so first in the list probably gets the EPG and timer, and this may not necessarily be the one that has good reception).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

JPP

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 14, 2010, 09:02:42 PM
I am positive about that.   I notice that if the timers come before the EPG (which does happen, say, when the LAN is down for a few days... happened to me, actually the DNS, never noticed it until the EPG had run out, which meant timers also hadn't got set, fixed the DNS and bingo, timers thru first, followed by EPG), the timers won't get named, this is the only side effect.   They are named the channel name only with * in front of it.
Duplicate LCNs *do* stuff things up, but this is only due to not managing to set timers for a channel that has good reception, as the Wiz maps based on scanning (so first in the list probably gets the EPG and timer, and this may not necessarily be the one that has good reception).

Hmm.. thanks for the feedback Tony. This is interesting. I have been told by Daniel of ICETV that they treat every PVR the same, i.e. the same protocol is used, regardless of the brand or model PVR. What you are saying is suggesting that ICETV DO send out time data. It is also suggesting that the Wiz treats the ICETV Timer data differently or perhaps uses more of it than the new Toppies which appear to only use the Program ID as blank EPG entries generate a Timer error and result in no timer being set. Need to do some more sleuthing to nut this one out............
Phil.