Where are the names of my shows?

Started by charlotte, December 18, 2009, 09:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlotte

My shows are showing as the name of the channel, not as the name of the show eg *GO, not the program name.  Have had the Wiz for years but first time I've had this problem.  Names will come up if I record using my iPhone, but not my puter.  Am I holding my mouth the wrong way?

tonymy01

The Wiz names the timers if there is EPG for those timeslots at the time the timers are uploaded.   I found the other week when my ISP DNS died (well, the one my router somehow got), I didn't get timers or EPG for days and didn't realise (as I tend to not to look too far head in the guide, and timers are set for 5days ahead anyway), and when I fixed the issue, everything came flooding thru from ICE, but it appears the timers came before the EPG, and thus generic names for the timers.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

charlotte

Unfortunately that isn't the case.  My epg is working fine.  I've even tried deleting everything from the timer and resending the information, but I still don't get any names.  Any other ideas?

charlotte

Well I thought I'd give it another go, but now I'm missing part of my epg - before it was fine.  What is even more weird, my wiz in the bedroom is missing one channel (ABC3) while the wiz in the livingroom has ABC3, but is missing 5 other channels!  I have checked and all the channels I'm using are in my favourites list and also ticked on my IceTV page. 
How can this be and how can I fix it?

tonymy01

Have you setup 2 devices?  Do you have duplicate channels?  If you have duplicates with the same LCN (channel number) then this is bad.   The Wiz gets confused and doesn't know which ones to send the EPG or timers to, it would explain a lot of your problems I think.
and before you post back and ask (as everyone seems to):
Press list while watching live TV, choose "all channels" (not just your favourites group) and then delete ALL the channels related to duplicates from the one broadcaster (check their RF frequency/channel number on each one in the list, delete all that are the poorer of the two for repeption).   Plenty of info on the Beyonwiz forums about duplicates and the damage they can cause and how to remove them: http://www.beyonwiz.com.au/phpbb2/index.php
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

charlotte

Thankyou very much everyone.  I tried everything I could think of, including emptying the cache and rebooting the wireless router.  Finally I disconnected the router, plugged it in again and rebooted it and everything reappeared!   :D

I've had a problem with this router as when I turn on the aircon it upsets the router, but sometimes only partially, not completely.  Don't use the aircon much, only on very hot or humid days.  I've been told that it isn't possible that my aircon can affect the router, but it does - that's been the reality for the past few years.  The running of the aircon isn't a problem, only the surge when it turns on, not sure whether turning off creates a problem.  I think that maybe I need a new router?  Anyone ever heard of this problem?

Many thanks once again.

prl

If you have the problem again, check how many days EPG you have. You should normally have 6 or 7 days information. If you don't, your Beyonwiz isn't updating the EPG properly, and you may have a router problem again. The Beyonwiz caches its last valid EPG to HDD, and will use this if it can't update theEPG over the net.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

AndrewT

Quote from: tonymy01 on December 18, 2009, 11:55:51 PM
The Wiz names the timers if there is EPG for those timeslots at the time the timers are uploaded.   I found the other week when my ISP DNS died (well, the one my router somehow got), I didn't get timers or EPG for days and didn't realise (as I tend to not to look too far head in the guide, and timers are set for 5days ahead anyway), and when I fixed the issue, everything came flooding thru from ICE, but it appears the timers came before the EPG, and thus generic names for the timers.
Regards

Had the same problem using the new Google DNS service.Switched back to my ISP's service and the timers came through on the next cycle.