Only want guide, not Interactive

Started by ozbear, November 24, 2009, 09:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozbear

The installation instructions don't say how to only get the guide data and skip the interactive machinery that I neither need nor want, and I certainly don't need yet-another-app running and/or in my systray.

How do I configure IceTV to just get the guide data quietly in the background?

Also, a few questions which I believe are still unanswered:
1) Is it still necessary to force a manual reindex so that new guide data is available for searches/etc. after downloading the guide data?
2) Does the Get New Guide Listings menu option from the Media Center TV Guide display work now like it used to under Vista to force a guide data fetch?  Within Media Centre go to Guide, arrow over to any channel and press the "info" key for the Get Latest Guide option.

Oz

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Unfortunately either way you will need to have the IceTV Interactive app running on the computer, there is an option on the login screen to specify a device of "Guide Data Only" and this will disable all Interactive functionality and just download and load in the guide into Media Center as well as run the re-indexing as well.

To go through the questions in order:

1) This is handled by the IceTV Interactive application (even in guide data only mode).
2) The Get New Guide listings menu option does not work in Media Center, and will not work under Windows 7. Because of changes Microsoft has made it will not be possible (apart from some serious hacking) to get this working, thankfully Microsoft did provide another method to load a third party guide and this is what is being used.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

dgaust

Daniel,

Would it be possible to allow for a third party MCPL application to make a call to the IceTV interactive application requesting a guide update? I used to have a MCPL application that would run the scheduled task to update the guide, but as the task has now been removed it would a good option.