IceTV app for Android

Started by guywellhard, November 20, 2009, 10:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guywellhard

Hi all,

I am working on an app to use the XML guide to display the IceTV guide in a native application for Android mobile phones. This will be hopefully be similar to the iPhone app that IceTV already provide. I have a very early Beta version of the app which includes:

* Download of full IceTV program guide (using a valid IceTV account)
* Display of all program information (rating, widescreen, SD/HD, full description etc)
* Filtering based on program name, time range (morning / afternoon / evening etc), station or genre.

Currently, none of the IceTV interactive features (recordings, series recordings, favourites, upcoming shows) are implemented, but if there is some interest in this app, I will work on their inclusion. Note also that the program is a little unpolished at the moment (icons particularly), and any error messages may be a little cryptic. It has also only been tested on HTC Magic phones, but should be compatible with Android 1.5 (Cupcake) and later releases.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in giving this app a beta test, please email me at android@frisbeeworld.com and I'll let you know where to get the file, and how to install a non-Android Market app.

Any feedback is appreciated! If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Derek Waters.

Waynos

Android FTW!

Sounds very interesting, I will give it a go. A decent TV guide for my phone would be a big plus.
I have a HTC Magic also, can you send me a link?

Cheers

Waynos

Thanks mate.

What a cool little app! Very quick and easy to use. I am going to keep this app for sure, I will use it a lot.

If I could make a suggestion? :)
For example, I changed the filter to ONEHD, and checked out the upcomign shows. All good up until midnight... but it really need a little "next" button or something to show the next date/time range. Easier than going to to the date and choosing the next day.
What do you think?

guywellhard

OK, an updated version is available with the following new features:

* Quick "Previous Day" and "Next Day" browse buttons next to the current date button.
* Local caching of daily files for each IceTV session, improving performance when switching days.

Waynos

Wow, that was fast!
That is heaps better now in regards to changing days. Thank you! I will keep playing.

So what is involved in getting the remote recording operational? That would top this app off.

guywellhard

Hi Waynos,

The problem with implementing recording is that the web APIs to do so are not made public by IceTV - the TV guide itself, distributed in XML format, is open and well documented. To implement recording will need the agreement of IceTV to open those recording APIs, or their direct involvement in the development. I am working on this, and will let you know when I have an update!

Cheers,

Derek Waters.

anthonettex

Hello, I'm getting an android phone too and was wondering about the status of this program. It would be great to see an official product rolled out soon.

natjen

Just sent you an email, I would love to try this as this is certainly an app I miss from my iPhone, thanks!