New User - Topfield 2400 - Reservation Problems

Started by dingers, September 10, 2009, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingers

I'm new to all this stuff.
Have installed the 2400 & IceTV to use with it.
Instalation, not a problem.
What I'm finding though is that nothing I select to record on the ICE website or the widget transfers to the Reservations list on the device. Even if I click on "resend recordings to devices" on the account page.
I've tried IceTV support - but they don't reply to my messages, so not exactly helpful.
Can anyone give me a clue to what I might need to do to get this going.
Thanks

timotsc

I have the same problem too.
I'm not sure if the 2400 can receive the reservations from Ice Interactive when on standby but I've tried with it left on and still no go. Reservations also may take some time to send to or register on the PVR, not sure.

Have you got the latest firmware (http://www.itopfield.com.au/aus/product/detail.asp?idx=242) as updating the firmware helped me a little with EPG issues on the PVR.

sladey

I am having the same issue.  My epg data is only requested when I turn the toppy off/on but my reservations are not being loaded into the Toppy.  I am on the latest firmware  - 1.04.00.  The epg should be fetched hourly according to the iceTV support guys but the last fetched date on the icetv site reflects the last time I turned the toppy off/on.

IceTV support have been somewhat responsive but I have just been "escalated" to a senior support eng.  Let's see how that goes.

dingers

I managed to get some info from Ice, and seems to have sorted out my problems.
Seems that there's a fair delay with the update from Interactive to the 2400 - should only be 30 mins, but has taken longer. Also the PVR will only show reservations 5 days in advance - even if they show as being in your upcoming shows on ICE (they transfer over once you hit the 5 day mark).
Would seem that with me fiddling about trying to get the info onto the 2400 I managed to confuse it & create timing conflicts. Those have been cleared & reservations now seem to be going through OK.
Hope that makes sense.

gibster

Quote from: dingers on September 12, 2009, 11:11:55 PM
I managed to get some info from Ice, and seems to have sorted out my problems.

Has Ice mentioned if your firewall/router needs to have any specific ports opened in it for this to all work?

I'm having some guide issues with my just purchased 2400 and older 5000 also. If I change the ICE configuration on their site to match the 2400, the the data downloaded causes TED/TEDS for the 5000 to crash. Waiting for response from ICE on this issue at teh moment.

gib
BeyonWiz V2

sladey

QuoteHas Ice mentioned if your firewall/router needs to have any specific ports opened in it for this to all work?

I have to assume there are no ports you need open.  All connections are outbound from the toppy to the ice tv site.  I have _had_ it working with no ports open. 

sladey

I have not been getting epg data reliably on my toppy for about a week now even after
I turn the toppy off and on. Icetv support told me about 3 days ago thatan issue has been found and a new firmware is on the way. I am currently on 1.04 - 19/8.

keichan56

I have also had reservation issues (see more under my post under Topfield 2400 Setup title)...and found the only way to get it back on track is to do a restore factory settings and set it all up again.

Keith

tonymy01

This sounds like a 7100 broken record topic... the old "factory reset" once a month to keep it working properly.  ouch.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

adama

My 2400 is less than a week old.  I've been a happy toppy 5000 MP user for several years and have at last upgraded to HD.

After some teething problems trying to figure out how ICE interactive really worked, it's still a mixed bag of "Wow - this is such a convenient way to record / search for stuff online" and "OMG I'm going to throw this fricken box out the window!!"

After several rounds of clearing ALL timers and trying to force ICE to 're-download' my scheduled recordings, I think it's mostly stable. 

Outstanding issues:

1. All of my scheduled recordings for the next 4 days are showing as yellow 'alerts' in the interactive ice guide on line (even though they appear fine on the box itself).

2. If I delete or change a timer on the actual 2400 (not on-line) does ICE interactive somehow 'know' that you've changed it and reflect this in the on-line version as well?

3. As I work shifts I record Ch. 9 6pm news each night.  ICE keeps starting the recording at 6:02pm so I need to keep changing the time on the 2400 ahead by a few mins just so it doesn't keep chopping off the start of recorded shows (wasn't just Ch 9 news either!). I've tried setting the box to 'auto' time but makes no difference.  Work in progress this one - not sure how padding is used with ICE, only know that the padding on the 2400 add's time AFTER the show.

I'd say I will get used to the way it works and things will settle down into routine again soon.  But so far I'm not sold on ICE (still using 3 month free trial).  I hope that Just EPG is re-written for the Toppy 2400  ;D
Matt

Topfield 2400 Masterpiece
Topfield 5000 Masterpiece

prl

Quote from: adama on September 22, 2009, 03:59:29 PM
My 2400 is less than a week old.  I've been a happy toppy 5000 MP user for several years and have at last upgraded to HD.

After some teething problems trying to figure out how ICE interactive really worked, it's still a mixed bag of "Wow - this is such a convenient way to record / search for stuff online" and "OMG I'm going to throw this fricken box out the window!!"

After several rounds of clearing ALL timers and trying to force ICE to 're-download' my scheduled recordings, I think it's mostly stable. 

Outstanding issues:

1. All of my scheduled recordings for the next 4 days are showing as yellow 'alerts' in the interactive ice guide on line (even though they appear fine on the box itself).

2. If I delete or change a timer on the actual 2400 (not on-line) does ICE interactive somehow 'know' that you've changed it and reflect this in the on-line version as well?

3. As I work shifts I record Ch. 9 6pm news each night.  ICE keeps starting the recording at 6:02pm so I need to keep changing the time on the 2400 ahead by a few mins just so it doesn't keep chopping off the start of recorded shows (wasn't just Ch 9 news either!). I've tried setting the box to 'auto' time but makes no difference.  Work in progress this one - not sure how padding is used with ICE, only know that the padding on the 2400 add's time AFTER the show.

I'd say I will get used to the way it works and things will settle down into routine again soon.  But so far I'm not sold on ICE (still using 3 month free trial).  I hope that Just EPG is re-written for the Toppy 2400  ;D

Beyonwizes allow both pre- and post- padding. Topfields don't. I don't think that IceTV will be sending timers that start later than what they appear to be in the schedule. Have you checked the start time of the timers on the 2400? I assume you've checked the 2400's clock time (should be OK if running on AUTO time). Is your 2400 starting from standby to record the news? Usually the wakeup timer to bring a PVR out of standby is set to fire up the device a few minutes before the next timer is due to run (and to not shut down after a recording if another timer is due to start soon).

You can add, change or delete timers on the Beyonwiz when using IceTV. I think deletions stay deleted (just that episode is affected), but I haven't done that for a while, but timers I add on the Beyonwiz are definitely shown in the IceTV schedule, but aren't managed by IceTV. I have a regular weekly timer on the Beyonwiz that just records John Clarke and Bryan Dawe on Thursday's 7:30 report. Tells me all I need to know about Federal politics for the week :)

I don't know why you're seeing the yellow warning triangle for timers that have actually been transferred successfully. I was seeing them occasionally for the Beyonwiz a while ago, even though the recordings succeeded. The problem went away of its own accord. I've asked on the forum that a tooltip be added to the triangle to give a reason, but IIRC there's no such error information in the protocol. The usual legitimate reason for the triangle is sending more simultaneous timers than the recorder can handle.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

JPP

Quote from: adama on September 22, 2009, 03:59:29 PM
......I'd say I will get used to the way it works and things will settle down into routine again soon.  But so far I'm not sold on ICE (still using 3 month free trial).  I hope that Just EPG is re-written for the Toppy 2400  ;D
I too had a bit of a problem after a short period of success when changing over to the 2400 Device on ICE. After this short period of about a day, nothing would transfer to the 2400, even though everything seemed OK. Eventually, I deleted all of my Devices and started from scratch with just the 2400 as the only Device. That certainly fixed it.

I take it the timer info that was sent from ICE does have the corrcet start time? I did a manual recording to check the actual start of a recording and found that it could be up to a minute over time before recording actually started, which seems to bear out your experience. This was from an ON state. I'll check what it does from an Standby state.

I think we have a willing author to re-write/compile JE for the 2400. Stay tuned  ;).
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

Quote from: JPP on September 23, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
... I did a manual recording to check the actual start of a recording and found that it could be up to a minute over time before recording actually started, which seems to bear out your experience. This was from an ON state. I'll check what it does from an Standby state. ...
Suggestions & guesses, rather than experience. I don't have a 2400 (or other Topfield). I used to have a 7000 about 2 years ago, but I don't recall it having any problems with it not starting recordings at the correct time.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Roman Renegade

Hi, this is a first-time post.  I appreciate the help from more switched on users than me.  My recordings were not appearing on the Timer Setting tonight, and via this thread, I discovered how to fix it.  All is well now having switched Toppy off and on. Very simple but it didn't occur to me!   Thanks for the advice.

JPP

Quote from: prl on September 23, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
Quote from: JPP on September 23, 2009, 02:20:56 PM
... I did a manual recording to check the actual start of a recording and found that it could be up to a minute over time before recording actually started, which seems to bear out your experience. This was from an ON state. I'll check what it does from an Standby state. ...
Suggestions & guesses, rather than experience. I don't have a 2400 (or other Topfield). I used to have a 7000 about 2 years ago, but I don't recall it having any problems with it not starting recordings at the correct time.
You're absolutely correct - it does start exactly on time - to the second! The PVR powers up just over a minute before the start time, the waits until the excat second when the record icon on the VFD comes up.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor