ICETV on Windows XP

Started by rodn, July 02, 2009, 08:51:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodn

Hi,

I guess this might be a simple question for some although I've searched and can't find a simple answer.

Is there an ICETV interactive application for use on Windows XP?

I love ICETV but am loathe to have to change my OS to vista (yuck) or MCE just to be able to have an icetv setup on my PC. I'm currently using it on my Beyonwiz which is brilliant but would like it to work silently in the background on the PC and just use my P1 and H1 as terminals that bring all the data from the PC.

Cheers
Rod

tonymy01

??
Are you asking for a server application so your Wizes can point to your PC instead?  The ICE IP/URL is hard coded in the Wiz.   There is interactive clients for Windows.  The Widget & a web browser.
I don't really get what you are asking actually.
Slaps forehead, as I was reading another media centre thread (lllllots of those LOL) I realised you are probably asking to have your PC operating as a media centre, and record with that instead of the Wizes.   Not quite sure why you would want to do that though, the Wiz is pretty reliable, the interactive works well, and by the sounds of it, you have a couple of them, so plenty of HD tuners to go around, where as depending on the kind of PC you setup, you may only have 1 tuner, have all the quirks that the media centre people complain about all the time (channel names, manually padding timers, local media centre series record doesn't like some of the flags etc).
But WMC is avail in an XP form, Vista form and "Windows7" form I believe if this floats your boat.   Else you can certainly get ICE downloaded with wget as XML and use this data for any application you can dream of.   It isn't interactive as such, it is guide data only, but many solutions out there provide timers and other features from a good set of XML data if you don't like the way Interactive currently works.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

rodn

Just looking for an App for my XP PC that will make it act like a beyonwiz off icetv.

So a program that will pickup from my icetv account feed and schedule recordings on the pc tv cards just the same way a beyonwiz does.  I can then use my 2 beyonwiz to work of the network folder containing all the recorded files.

But from what you are saying there is app's but they're all fiddly, don't want fiddly.

The purpose and point of it is that my P1 is only 250g and it's far easier for me to get a 1t hd and put it in the pc which has tuners than it is to faff about with another new 'add on' hd addon box via usb to the beyonwiz.

tonymy01

No need to faff with anything, just bolt a whopping big HDD into the Wiz and it will provide you weeks of storage. 
Anyway, your choice I guess.   I just don't think having a noisy power sucking PC on 24x7 is any kind of solution compared to a dedicated PVR.   I tried the HTPC route years ago, and there was *plenty* of "faffing" with that everytime I wanted to play/do anything (not to mention it wouldn't go to standby and wake from standby, definitely wouldn't wake up for timers, needed the "Bill Gates BSOD reboot" on occasions etc).

Anyway, just look at the "what you need" or "compatible devices" info in the interactive front page.  Tonnes of info really: http://www.icetv.com.au/about/compatibility.shtml
And also cruise on over to the xpmediacentre forums ( http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/ ), tonnes of info there, but good luck, what you want to do is really only for fiddlers/people with some nous to get things up and running, and people that want to do a bit of forum research to learn/tweak/whatever.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

jillmess

Quote from: rodn on July 02, 2009, 10:14:16 AM
Just looking for an App for my XP PC that will make it act like a beyonwiz off icetv.

So a program that will pickup from my icetv account feed and schedule recordings on the pc tv cards just the same way a beyonwiz does.  I can then use my 2 beyonwiz to work of the network folder containing all the recorded files.

I use DVScheduler to do this.  I use my icetv account to supply the EPG info, but the "scheduling" is done in DVScheduler itself (not through Ice Interactive).  See this link for some details & download http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~efax/DV%20Scheduler.html

Jill