Win 7 Ice TV EPG

Started by cjq, June 23, 2009, 02:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjq

I just installed Win7 on my HTPC and I’m wondering whether to install IceTV EPG as I’ve heard it's not all that reliable & stable at the moment. I was surprised after setting up the channels that a EPG automaticly loaded, I've been using it for a couple days and it seems to work ok. Should I wait untill the IceTv EPG is storted out or is it good enough to use now? I’m happy enough to use the free EPG for the moment.

Charles

swingcat007

It sounds too good to be true.  I amsure there are many people out there with questions because WMC has never had a downloadable Guide, well for as long as i have been using it anyway.  What postcode did you use?

cjq

I'm in North Qld 4860, I didn't konw about it either, I just stumbled across it after I scanned for channels.

zoszos68

It's not a downloadable guide. The "free" as you call it is from the " over the air guide" broadcast from the networks.
I must say it's hard to know which is over the air or ice without reading to see if it's a funny description or not.
Ten help by putting copyright Ten on there info.
Kevin

muzzakus

Wait.  So the free to air EPG is resonable enough? Whats the advantage to paying for icetv going forward?

zoszos68

Quote from: muzzakus on June 30, 2009, 12:47:51 PM
Wait.  So the free to air EPG is resonable enough? Whats the advantage to paying for icetv going forward?

the free to air guide is ok if you don't want the following: 1: Series recording as many titles etc are not suitable (last I looked that is).
2: More reliable updates of programme changes at late notice.
3: More descriptive programme info.

That,s just a few of the things I can think of of the top of my head. 
Kevin

muzzakus

Quote from: zoszos68 on June 30, 2009, 03:36:13 PM

the free to air guide is ok if you don't want the following: 1: Series recording as many titles etc are not suitable (last I looked that is).

Kevin

Series recoding is broken with IceTV for WIndows7 - which is the deal breaker.  The free to air EPG has the same issue?

Looks like only option is fumbling around with XML data if chosing to go to windows7

zoszos68

Quote from: muzzakus on June 30, 2009, 04:57:36 PM
Quote from: zoszos68 on June 30, 2009, 03:36:13 PM

Kevin

Series recoding is broken with IceTV for WIndows7 - which is the deal breaker.  The free to air EPG has the same issue?

Looks like only option is fumbling around with XML data if chosing to go to windows7

Not really broken with fta epg. It's just the info is not so great for example Nine just say Saturday night movie for example or Wide
World Of Sport etc with the name of programme in the description.
The networks are a fault there.
Kevin