How do I know if The IceTV EPG is Working

Started by gemini67, June 12, 2009, 10:36:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gemini67

Good morning all, this is my first post here as just recently got a BW DP-P1, so apologies if this is a dumb question but it just seems a little weird to me.

Everything has bene set up and orking good, the only question is how do I know that the guide that I am seeing is that from IceTV and not just the free over the air guide.  When I first got the unit and saw the guide I thought great, but then signed up with IceTV and checked the guide again and it looks exactly the same.

I have gone into the IceTV settings and asked it to 'check' and it can ping the server ok but I'm just not sure if it is actually getting down to my BW

Thanks

tonymy01

If it was the FTA guide, some descriptions are limited to the EIT short event descriptor amount of 249bytes for both name & description, and so truncated mid sentence from some broadcasters (EIT standards, not a wiz bug).   If the broadcaster would use the Extended event descriptor, like ICE does, that description bumps up to 3,700ish characters!    Another tell-tale sign of FTA is UPPERCASE TITLES FOR SHOW NAMES for Nein especially, and USELESS SHOW NAMES LIKE "MIDDAY MOVIE".    Ice would put something like Movie:Movie Name
But if your ICE option is enabled in the Wiz, then it will definitely be using the ICE EPG.   It can disable itself if there are communication issues to the ICE servers (such as you hadn't connected a network connection I think... this was the behaviour a year or two ago anyway!).   You can tell if it is enabled or disabled simply by checking the ICE setup menu in your Wiz.   Other checks to give you peace of mind is the status messages you are getting in that status window in the setup menu, and timers showing up when you use ICE to set series recordings, one off recordings and keyword recordings.
Regards
Regards
edited to fix my "piece of mind" dyslexia with words!  I can spell, but for some reason now I seem to touch type not what is in my head... strange.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

gemini67

thats great thanks I'll check those out,  but from what you have already said it sounds as if it's the IceTV guide, strange though I thought they would have the IceTV logo somewhere on the guide.

thanks again

tonymy01

All ICE does is loads EPG up into the PVR.   It is up to how the PVR displays the EPG, if the PVR loads the ICE data into its EIT tables (normal scheme I have seen for the Topfield 5K & Beyonwiz), then the display method the PVR uses doesn't have to change.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

You can see whether IceTV is running and fetching things by looking in the status window in SETUP>Network>IceTV, especially just after boot, and then by looking at the messages that tell you when the Beyonwiz will next contact IceTV, and using that to tell you when the status window will next have something interesting in it. It's a pity that the status window can't scroll over the last 20-30 lines of IceTV status.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

TripleJ

Wondered the exact same thing when I set my beyonwiz up a couple of weeks ago gemini :)
I expected to see the name IceTV or a logo on the EPG, was puzzled for awhile.

tonymy01

Would ICE putting "(C) ICETV Australia" in every guide entry like Nein and Ten do make you happier :-).
Regards
Tony