Windows 7 EPG Beta Readme: 09/06/2009

Started by Russell at IceTV, June 09, 2009, 06:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russell at IceTV

At the moment there are two main issues still to be resolved:

• Cast list. On the program details pages, you can use the left and right arrow keys to move between the pages "synopsis", "actions", and "other showings". There's supposed to be a 4th page called "cast + crew".
  • Recording shows that are serial but not episodic. Like news programs, or shows like Neighbours that don't have episodes. This results in a message from Media Center saying, "Another airing will be recorded on...[date]" and the show not being recorded. More info is available in this topic.

We've also had a couple of reports of people saying they're not able to create a series recording for a particular show.  It's possible that it's related to the "another airing" problem, but we'll look into it when we work on the other issues.

We've also had reports from people having problems when they load the IceTV guide data before scanning for channels in Media Center.  If you just installed Windows 7, run through the Media Center setup first, and let it find all your channels before loading the guide data.  A user has posted a way of fixing this problem in the topic "Ice TV Windows7 RC" (use at your own risk -- we haven't tested it, but it looks reasonable).

Although I know I've said it before (and quite a while back), the same is still accurate today.  We're definitely aware of the issues, and will get them resolved asap, but there are other more important projects underway.  When we can (finally) get the changes done to the various guide pages (on the web site, mobile site, iPhone app, and widgets), we'll switch gears and get the Windows 7 stuff working better.  The guide changes are taking longer than expected because of all the complications with the various places that need to be changed, as well as the server-side programs that handle series recording scheduling, etc.  We're getting close, and we'll try to keep you up to date as best we can.

Thanks,
Russell

Moby58

Yep, series problem here.
Perth Metro, Lipstick Jungle and Desperate Housewives arent showing as series.

WAF not good!!

mrmessy

muzzakus

I just got new PC bits prior to efy and was going to build with Windows7 vs my current Vista setup.  But this PC needs to be production quality to serve the houshold TV needs via xbox360 extenders.  Should I do it?  Is the over the air EPG good enough?  THe ICETv solution seems unworkable at present based on what I'm reading.

hamping

Quote from: muzzakus on June 29, 2009, 04:01:32 PM
I just got new PC bits prior to efy and was going to build with Windows7 vs my current Vista setup.  But this PC needs to be production quality to serve the houshold TV needs via xbox360 extenders.  Should I do it?  Is the over the air EPG good enough?  THe ICETv solution seems unworkable at present based on what I'm reading.

It is unworkable unless you pass the ICE TV data through Bigscreen EPG. This is a workaround and if I didn't already have a subscription, I wouldn't have bothered. For some reason ICE Tv think it is a greater priority to build gadgets than basic functionality for their customers.

dgaust

Why do you expect IceTV to support a beta product? Win7 is still in beta testing, things have (and are) changing between releases. If the issue still exists when the full version of Win7 ships (or it's not fixed within a reasonable time frame) then you have a valid point.

Given that Ice have numerous other devices to support, that are actually properly released products, I think it's slightly unfair of you to expect them to expend a large portion of their resources supporting a beta program.

If someone wants a rock solid machine for use in production, then they shouldn't consider Win7.

muzzakus

Actually Windows 7 is out of Beata and into Release Candidate.  Early adopters welcome.  Shame about this debarcle.  Can anybody post the icetv Xml?  Probably only take a few minutes to write a parser to fix up the anomalies.

tonymy01

Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

hamping

Quote from: dgaust on June 30, 2009, 10:56:03 AM
Why do you expect IceTV to support a beta product? Win7 is still in beta testing, things have (and are) changing between releases. If the issue still exists when the full version of Win7 ships (or it's not fixed within a reasonable time frame) then you have a valid point.

Given that Ice have numerous other devices to support, that are actually properly released products, I think it's slightly unfair of you to expect them to expend a large portion of their resources supporting a beta program.

If someone wants a rock solid machine for use in production, then they shouldn't consider Win7.

The reasons are that ICE TV encouraged the beta testing on WIN 7 from the earliest release. It has now been roughly four (4) months since and no real work has been done to resolve it. The problem is a known quantity. I would need to be convinced that anything relevant is changing. And indeed that is not the reason that has been offered. A large number of people world wide including ICE Tv customers are using WIN 7 on production machines for obvious reasons because it is hardly beta software and Microsoft has pushed the software with a very wide public release and numerous leaked builds. Finally, it would probably be a different story if the functionality being added was to enable the use of basic equipment required by subscribers. But it is redesigning the website, mobile phones applications and widgets for those who already have functionality.

Notace

Quote from: hamping on June 30, 2009, 11:19:52 PM
Quote from: dgaust on June 30, 2009, 10:56:03 AM

The reasons are that ICE TV encouraged the beta testing on WIN 7 from the earliest release. It has now been roughly four (4) months since and no real work has been done to resolve it. The problem is a known quantity. I would need to be convinced that anything relevant is changing. And indeed that is not the reason that has been offered. A large number of people world wide including ICE Tv customers are using WIN 7 on production machines for obvious reasons because it is hardly beta software and Microsoft has pushed the software with a very wide public release and numerous leaked builds. Finally, it would probably be a different story if the functionality being added was to enable the use of basic equipment required by subscribers. But it is redesigning the website, mobile phones applications and widgets for those who already have functionality.

I'm sorry, but Release Candidate is not a shipped product. Microsoft can (and may) still change things under the bonnet. Until it is shrink wrapped and on the shelves, ready for us to hand over cash so we can own it, you use it at your own risk. Anyone who uses Win7 on a Production Machine is brave, at best (I didn't want to say stupid, as that may offend  :o ).

Yes, IceTV encouraged people to undertake BETA testing. This is always done at your own risk, irrespective of who is encouraging it. It is implicit that you do this at your own risk, and that you accept that there are likely to be problems, which is rather the point.

So, like others, I think bagging IceTV for not fixing all the problems with this release is very unfair.

(I have no connection whatsoever with IceTV, in case you were wondering.)

kaldek

Quote from: Notace on July 01, 2009, 04:39:15 PM
I'm sorry, but Release Candidate is not a shipped product. Microsoft can (and may) still change things under the bonnet. Until it is shrink wrapped and on the shelves, ready for us to hand over cash so we can own it, you use it at your own risk. Anyone who uses Win7 on a Production Machine is brave, at best (I didn't want to say stupid, as that may offend  :o ).

So, like others, I think bagging IceTV for not fixing all the problems with this release is very unfair.

True - IceTV should be given a break.  Having said that, I'm running Windows 7 on a number of machines, and it is more stable than Vista (even Vista SP2), as well as the stuff we all know like faster, and not a bucket of crap.

Microsoft aren't stupid; this whole "public release candidate" thing is viral marketing at its best.  The RC is stable, the keys are free and last for a year (for now anyway) and everyone is saying it's what Vista should have been.  So, if you consider that what they're doing is very cleverly getting all the bad feelings from Vista swept aside while also locking us in for when the product is released in October, then IceTV need to be ready for that and it is worth their time putting the effort in now.

I would also say IceTV need to be ready long before Win 7 gets released; it supports the broadcast EPG, and unless IceTV have their marketing and tools ready first then a lot of people will ask themselves what they are paying for!

On a final note, my employer (who happens to be Microsoft's biggest Australian partner) is going with live production trials for engineering employees very shortly, long before production Win 7 release.  That says volumes for how "complete" the product is.

Russell at IceTV

Guys,

Just to let you know, we're working on the Windows 7 problems that I mentioned at the top of this thread, and have them just about done.  We need to do some final testing, and then we'll release it, most likely in the next few days.  Sorry it's taking so long, but we're just about there.

Russell

aswigon

Good news considering 7 RTM's in less than 2 weeks.

hamping

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 03, 2009, 11:12:16 PM
Guys,

Just to let you know, we're working on the Windows 7 problems that I mentioned at the top of this thread, and have them just about done.  We need to do some final testing, and then we'll release it, most likely in the next few days.  Sorry it's taking so long, but we're just about there.

Russell

I am told that I have been unfair, so let me be the second to say 'thanks' for this advice. Greatly looking forward to testing the new build of the beta program.

muzzakus

Quote from: Russell at IceTV on July 03, 2009, 11:12:16 PM
Guys,

Russell

Sensational.  The broken Win7 functionality has had me dragging my feet on the upgrade.  Now I feel more positive and enthusiastic again.