Cannot see Device

Started by jeepers, March 31, 2009, 08:45:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeepers

I have my BW setup with a DWL-G810 AP/Bridge, I have entered my details into the IceTV on the BW, when i select  "Check"  it says "couldn't resolve host" and the "Device" is blank. I tied it last night, and it said that it downloaded the EPG on Disk, but had to wait 15min for sheduled tasks.

cheers

tonymy01

That first error is a DNS error.   Did your Wiz get a DNS address from your main router? (you can check with the red key I think it is).   You should test your wiz network connectivity with wizfx (enable WizPNP server on the WIz).  This will prove the physical network is working, and the IP address, but doesn't prove the gateway or DNS.   I guess the checking of user credentials or using WizTV is the best way to test whether that is correct.
It is quite normal for ICE to throttle the EPG and timers, so you will see this message a LOT.   This is probably a sign that things are working... so what did you change?

Once you get a network up, you can select the device on the Wiz, and then be able to make timers from the schedule on ICE interactive to the device.   You setup this device name in the ICE account pages.

Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

jeepers

Got it working...it now recognizes my Device, and downloaded the EPG, but keeps saying i have to wait for scheduled tasks (20min). Does the EPG show up on the BW or do i have to go to IceTV and set the programs from there.

cheers

tonymy01

EPG? Programs?
You see normal looking EPG in the Wiz, but datafilled with ICE data.   Look descriptions of at "A Current Affair" and "Today Tonight", and late night on Nein (will show "N/A Channel Nine" or something like that) to prove it is ICE data.
To set interactive timers, you need to select entries in the ICE EPG here at ICETV and choose whether you want to record once or all eps, including reruns or first runs, and all channels or this channel..   and choose the device you want the timers on.
Job done!   Then wait the required delay, and you will see the timers in the Wiz just like normal timers.
If you setup a daily wakeup timer on the Wiz (not a real timer, just a view timer) then this will ensure the Wiz will get new updates from ICETV at least once a day (I have mine setup for 4am, but apparently ICE can be making last minute changes to the schedule when they learn about it, so maybe later might be wise, but I do it early to avoid any clashes, as any timer later in the day will take one timer slot away from potentially recording 2 shows at once.  I guess  during the week this isn't an issue, but the weekend it is.   Maybe I should setup a weekday 5pm 15minute view timer, and a weekend 5am view timer).
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

jeepers

Thank you...that cleared that up  ;D In the Guide section there is now a more detailed explanation of what the program is about. So it looks to be working O.K.

cheers

melvy

I'm also having trouble getting updated timers set in ICE interactive onto my BW.

My LAN is set up fine as I'm streaming video consistently from my laptop.  I need to manually reapply my LAN settings whenever I want updates.  I do this by either putting the BW into standby and restarting or by going into the setting part of the network section and hitting apply to the settings already set up (DHCP enabled).  This successfully grabs the updated timers from ICE.

This seems to work for 1 or 2 cycles then after this, the logs show the message  "Wait x (25 - 5) minutes to get scheduler tasks" up until 5 minutes, then sits on "Try to get scheduler tasks" and doesn't grab any timer updates from ICE.  I also get a "Failed to access page" message when trying to get to WizTV.  This isn't a problem at the start of the process.  Access to the internet just seems to hang after a couple of successful cycles.  I also occasionaly lose the EPG all together.

I'm also using a D link G810 wireless bridge to connect to a Motorola SGB900 with WPA PSK security with TKIP encryption.

UPDATE: I worked it out. I noticed the DHCP server lease time on the router was set at 3600 seconds which is how long I had internet access for. Extended that and Bob's your uncle.

tonymy01

Quote from: melvy on April 05, 2009, 01:28:53 PM
UPDATE: I worked it out. I noticed the DHCP server lease time on the router was set at 3600 seconds which is how long I had internet access for. Extended that and Bob's your uncle.
Oh... that is a concern.   There was some question about this previously about whether the Wiz was re-negotiating the lease middway thru the lease period or just letting it expire, and either it is just not trying to renew, or your router is doing something funny here.   PRL (Peter on the ICE/Wiz/DTVforums) looked at this once I think, I just can't remember what the outcome was.
Regards
Tony

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on June 13, 2009, 11:14:39 AM
Quote from: melvy on April 05, 2009, 01:28:53 PM
Oh... that is a concern.   There was some question about this previously about whether the Wiz was re-negotiating the lease middway thru the lease period or just letting it expire, and either it is just not trying to renew, or your router is doing something funny here.   PRL (Peter on the ICE/Wiz/DTVforums) looked at this once I think, I just can't remember what the outcome was.
The Beyonwiz is very naive about DHCP leases. As soon as it's granted one, it believes that it owns it forever. If the lease expires and that IP address is granted to another device, the Beyonwiz will continue to use it and it all gets a bit messy. Similarly, if a PC gets its lease changed to another IP address, its Windows Shares won't be accessible by the Beyonwiz, and you'll have to do a Clear All PC, Scan in the Network section of the file player.

You can make life easier for yourself if you fix all your devices' MAC addresses to fixed (but different for each device) IP addresses. The way you do dhis varies from router to router.

I don't think I've ever posted about how the Beyonwiz, DHCP and IceTV interact. With short leases, it may not be pretty. :)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing