Best use of interactive?

Started by Ozemale6t9, January 06, 2009, 12:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozemale6t9

Hi all,

I apologize for my first post here being a question, but, what setting is best to use for series recording on the 7100?

I will explain my problem/s: I series record a number of shows, and the problems I am having seem to come from the IceTV EPG. Examples, I hear you ask...well OK.

1st example.
I wish to record new eps of "Heroes".... channel 7 in their infinite wisdom typically show SD at an earlier time than HD. If I set to record HD only, I must set to record 'first runs & repeats' or it will not record since the EPG lists the later airing HD as a repeat. I can choose 'any channel' and 'first runs only' which will record the SD version but I would prefer to record the HD version, so you see my dilemna.

2nd example.
I wish to record new eps of "Top Gear".... SBS typically show SD at the same time as HD (but have been know to show only on one or the other). If I set to record HD 'first runs only' , I have missed episodes due to showing only on SD and vice versa. I can set to record 'any channel' but when they are showing both at the same time, the EPG does not list one as a repeat, so I end up recording both SD and HD.

I am not sure what the solution is, but I would think that Interactive should not regard the later airing of the same episode, aired on the same night, by a different channel on the same network, to be a repeat. If this were the case, and you had the option in channel selection for "prefer HD", it would just about solve this problem.

Anyway, thanks for reading my rant, and hopefully someone can help me with a solution.

regards, Oz

tonymy01

Keyword searches are the solution for your second example, you can setup the keyword search to have a preference of HD over SD.  I would NOT think it was sensible to label one of a simulcast show on SD and HD as a repeat!
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Marc

"Prefer HD" is coming for series recording. It's a feature we're working on right now.

We agree that this is really important, given the way a lot of Australian TV stations are using their high def channels.

madenglis

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on January 06, 2009, 03:11:42 PM
"Prefer HD" is coming for series recording. It's a feature we're working on right now.

We agree that this is really important, given the way a lot of Australian TV stations are using their high def channels.

"Prefer HD" is something I'm really looking forward to using.  Will there be an annoucement when it's available? Any idea when?

Marc

Quote from: madenglis on January 16, 2009, 02:03:11 PMWill there be an annoucement when it's available? Any idea when?
It's very likely that it'll be announced on the IceTV News page. So if you subscribe to our RSS feed then you'll know the second it's available.

We're working on the feature right now, so it shouldn't be too long, although I can't give an exact date.

Vortical

Marc how do you subscribe to an RSS feed of the news, there is no RSS link on the news page that I can find?

prl

Quote from: Vortical on January 17, 2009, 01:29:18 PM
Marc how do you subscribe to an RSS feed of the news, there is no RSS link on the news page that I can find?

I'm not Marc, but the RSS link is in the very bottom line of the News page.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Marc

Thanks prl.

The RSS feed address is: http://www.icetv.com.au/news/?feed=rss2

You'll need an RSS reader (or Firefox, Safari or a web browser that can read RSS) to read it though.

Vortical