Auto-Renew and Save offer is disappointing

Started by Gary, October 16, 2008, 02:37:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary

Having received the new offer http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1330.msg5920#msg5920 I was disappointed to see that the savings on a 12 month renewal were so low.

After you have had a few specials recently (I think the latest is still around) offering similar reductionsm so I would have thought a $24 reduction off the 12 months price would have been more appropriate and appealing.

JPP

I had a look at the new rates - a 12 month auto renewal is $89 - that's about $1.71 per week. I guess if enough of us were to take up a 12 months auto renewal, it would be nice if we could settle on an even $1 a week or $52 per year. What would you say to that Matt? Would this be a possibility in the coming year?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

mtb

I have to say that I thought it strange that the longer the renewal, the less the benefit.  I guess that it makes for more regular income though I'd have though they'd preferr the longer commitment myself.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

tonymy01

$1.71 to $1.00 is a substantial ask...  they do have a number of peoples salaries to pay.   1/2 the reason we aren't getting our wishlists (e.g HD/SD prefs for duplicate shows) even responded to (let alone actual work done on them) is they are likely understaffed.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Gary

Quote from: tonymy01 on October 17, 2008, 09:48:35 AM
$1.71 to $1.00 is a substantial ask...  they do have a number of peoples salaries to pay.   1/2 the reason we aren't getting our wishlists (e.g HD/SD prefs for duplicate shows) even responded to (let alone actual work done on them) is they are likely understaffed.
As much as I think it would be a great price, I agree with you Tony.

I was thinking at least $24 off the price, so $75 for the year or around $1.44 per week. They have offered similar discounts before so it should be affordable and encourage a better uptake.

JPP

Yep, I think the compromise of $75 for a whole year is a good one. I wasn't really advocating the $1 a week for now, but I would hope that once things have settled down (and they win the case against Nine and then hopefully attract a whole lot of new and renewal subscribers) that in a year or so, we could get down to that number. But, I fully understand that we need to ensure that they have sufficient funds to stay in business and have the funds to develop the product further. It's a bit of the old chicken and egg situation I suppose - a half finished product will not attract sales, but more sales are needed to finish the product.
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

bigdan

No complaints here, just changed to auto-renew every 3 months and couldn't be happier.
Big Dan - finally got NBN and One HD in the Upper Hunter.

Mr_Q

I have the auto-renew option turned on, but there's no option to choose the renew time. From the "how to" text I got the impression I should have "auto-renew for 1 month, auto-renew for 3 months, etc.". Am I missing something?

prl

Quote from: Mr_Q on October 19, 2008, 01:26:42 PM
I have the auto-renew option turned on, but there's no option to choose the renew time. From the "how to" text I got the impression I should have "auto-renew for 1 month, auto-renew for 3 months, etc.". Am I missing something?
Perhaps it auto-renews your last order. But it should be clearer.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Marc

Currently it auto-renews your last purchased subscription. If you'd like to change your subscription type you'll have to purchase a new subscription (this can be just before your account expires).

We realise this isn't ideal and you'll have an option under My Account very soon that will let you choose the subscription type for auto-renewal.

We've already done part of the work on this, so I'd say you'll see it under My Account very soon.

Mr_Q

Thanks all. I'd assumed it's be something like that. It's just not very clear from the text on the page or in the email.

Gary

So Marc, would you or someone else from IceTV care to respond to my original post and the responses to it?

prl

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on October 19, 2008, 04:03:26 PM
... If you'd like to change your subscription type you'll have to purchase a new subscription (this can be just before your account expires).
But that presumably wouldn't attract the auto-renew discount.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Marc

Quote from: prl on October 19, 2008, 06:18:03 PM
Quote from: Marc-IceTV on October 19, 2008, 04:03:26 PM
... If you'd like to change your subscription type you'll have to purchase a new subscription (this can be just before your account expires).
But that presumably wouldn't attract the auto-renew discount.
This is true.

So if your subscription is due soon and you'd like the discount AND like to change your renewal type (for example: from 1 month subscription to a 3 month subscription), then please call IceTV support. We can fix this for you.

If you subscription isn't due soon, please hang in there. We'll have the option soon under My Account.

Quote from: Gary on October 16, 2008, 02:37:25 PM
Having received the new offer http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1330.msg5920#msg5920 I was disappointed to see that the savings on a 12 month renewal were so low.
I'm not sure I can personally provide a rationale for the various discounts, but I will say this... So far we've reduced the price of a 12 month subscription from $146, to $99, to $89 (as a renewal). We've also added quite a few features over the last couple of years:

- High def channel listings
- More regional listings
- The Interactive website has been continually developed, with new features added and bugs fixed
- iPhone app with remote recording
- Mobile website with remote recording
- Mac & PC Widgets with remote recording
- Facebook app
- Support for various recording software and PVRs

...with lots more features and fixes under development.

I'd say price changes are more likely to go down rather than up. Hopefully you'll agree that IceTV is not only getting more affordable, but does more with every month that passes, making it even better value.

If you'd like cheaper subscriptions, then spread the word!

Gary

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on October 19, 2008, 07:16:11 PM
Quote from: Gary on October 16, 2008, 02:37:25 PM
I'm not sure I can personally provide a rationale for the various discounts, but I will say this... So far we've reduced the price of a 12 month subscription from $146, to $99, to $89 (as a renewal).
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I may have just been fortunate but for the last couple of years I have managed to renew for $73/74 a year with the offers around at the time so you can understand why I am not rushing to auto renew at $89. :)

And while I agree there have been improvements  and additions, many of them have little impact on me while others such as the whole SD/HD which channel gets a timer and the problems the legal battle with Nine have created with completing the schedule have a greater impact. (Don't get me wrong, I support IceTV in this legal battle, I am just acknowledging some of the fallout)

But look I don't want this to become about what improvements are being made or what problems there are, as I have remained a loyal subscriber and have no plans to change that so I will stay one.

I just thought that in return for the added commitment we were being asked to make by auto-renewing there could be a greater financial incentive.