IceTV app on iPhone

Started by mattsydoz, August 08, 2008, 06:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattsydoz

Hi.

I just downloaded the app this morning. There's a few things I find strange about it. Is this the best place to provide them?

1. It seems a bit sluggish when I scroll it. It doesn't keep on scroll as much as I expect when I stop scrolling. Other apps seem to continue a bit more.
2. When I click on a show to look at the details, the top left corner still shows the date button and the back button is below it, in the scrolling region. At first I thought it was missing as I had scrolled down to the bottom of the details. I had expected the back button to replace the date button.
3. Tapping on a show to see the details does not give me any feedback that I tapped on a specific show. I expected it to highlight in some way.
4. If I click in the search box it expands the search box and brings up the keyboard. I then wondered how to exit the search without searching. In the contacts app a Done button exists above the search box. It didn't take me long to discover that if I tap in the centre of the screen it would exit search.
5. When tapping in the centre of the screen to exit search it then brought up the busy spinner. I wasn't sure why when the details were already there. It then occasionally brought up a tooltip type overlay with the name of the show where I tapped and the word 'Action' on the line below. Is this some future feature or an experimentation left in the code?

Other than that it's looking great. I know this is a new UI for every developer it takes some time to get used to designing for it. I'm looking forward to see what 'develops'. :)

AlexN

I'd just like to be able to run the app on the iPhone, but since Apple's App Sore stuffed up my phone, I can't.

They should have used Lisp ;).

Cheers,
Alex.

leyton01

I like the app - runs well and is pretty good looking.

The one problem I have with it is that it doesnt handle multiple PVRs very well.  I have 3 set up on mine (bedroom, loungeroom and desktop PC) and there is no way of switching between them.  Also the record series shows up as being associated with one PVR in the list of recordings and adifferent one when you actually go into the description.  Anyone else find this?

Marc

Quote from: leyton01 on August 09, 2008, 12:54:20 PMAlso the record series shows up as being associated with one PVR in the list of recordings and adifferent one when you actually go into the description. Anyone else find this?
Thanks for that. We'll investigate.

Vatoe

I can see a lot of potential in this app. Excellent work to get it out!

My issue (bug?) is that I don't get all the channels listed for my area for any particular time slot via the iPhone app? For example, tonight (Saturday) the only shows that are being displayed in the 8.30pm timeslot are: The Bill (ABC1) and Audrey Hepburn Season (ABC2). I have checked my settings via the web site and all the settings are in order so I am not sure why all the TV data eg data for NBN, Prime or SC Ten are not being displayed? This issue is reproducible in terms of missing data for most time slots, but channels may vary.

cheers,

John

BTW, I am on the central coast setting for Northern NSW.

mrees

Im absolutely blown away with this app.
GREAT work guys...

Honestly, you are so on the ball. Having something like this weeks after the iPhone release just makes people realise how much that subscription fee really pays off at times.

One feature add I would like to see, is the ability to simply go to the next time slot by hitting next page.
Its a little annoying once you hit the end of a time slot to change days or times just to see shows 12 hours later. It would be great to just be able to hit next and flick through whats coming up. Or maybe we could use the finger slide to get to the next page (?)

Just my 2c

Other than that... SH## hot effort!

Thanks
(man I love this phone, I really do! :)

Marc

Thanks for the praise! We still have some work to do on this app, so expect it to improve further (please do send in bug reports or feature requests).

Quote from: Vatoe on August 09, 2008, 01:24:00 PMMy issue (bug?) is that I don't get all the channels listed for my area for any particular time slot via the iPhone app?
Are you seeing all the channels on the TV guide on the IceTV website?

http://www.icetv.com.au/interactive/tvguide

What's shown on the website and iPhone app should match. If they don't match, it might be a bug with our iPhone app. If they do match and you don't have all the channels you should have on both, then it's likely something else isn't right.

Quote from: mrees on August 10, 2008, 12:05:11 PMOne feature add I would like to see, is the ability to simply go to the next time slot by hitting next page.
Its a little annoying once you hit the end of a time slot to change days or times just to see shows 12 hours later. It would be great to just be able to hit next and flick through whats coming up.
That would be very good.

Vatoe

Thanks Marc. I didn't mention they I had compared the two and they weren't the same.

It seems to have resolved itself today. I'll keep my eye on it and report back if there are further occurrences.

EDIT: Feature request: I definitely would love to see the guide data  caches, so when we are using the iPhone it via 3G we dont keep downloading the same data and it would presumably would work a little quicker.

retroneo

Feature request:

Support for remote scheduling to ToppyWeb connected Topfields.

This would be awesome!!!!

tonymy01

I don't get what the iphone owners fear of webpages is about?   Toppyweb provides a webpage to set timers, the iphone provides a web browser?
I have been doing this on my N95 for a year now.
You of course have this as a potential option: http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11431
But I can't see ICE supporting a feature that is open sourced (essentially) on the Topfield, given they don't have control on how it works?
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Vatoe

No fear at all Tony. In fact the iPhone representation of web pages is far better via Safari on its bigger screen. I have owned the n95 and agree it quite a nice phone, but the iPhone in my opinion bests it easily. The ability of having a nice little app that is specifically designed for a particular function (which takes into account screen size, font size, easier functionality, themes and so on) will always on the face of it beat doing it via a web page.

tonymy01

Granted using as many of the UI features of the phone is good, but there are "tailored" webpages to suit mobile use which work quite well, I think there was a modded toppyweb page to do the same, and of course even the ice interactive has a mobile web version also.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

nac6

Feature request:

Search categories. That's how I add all of my recordings.

timbertron

I have the iPhone app and its brilliant!! But since buying a Topfield PVR and actually scheduling recordings every so often it tells me there are errors and the recordings need to be re-scheduled. Even though my Mac widget says they are fine, the Ice TV website says they are fine and my Topfield has even set up the timers to record them. Seems like an iPhone specific issue.

Also on the Ice TV website and my iPhone all my programs are shown as queued to record whereas on my Mac widget they are shown as set to be record, as in they dont have the donut symbol. Not sure why this is happening. Most of the shows have been successfully delivered to the PVR (except First Australians which wont even come up as record even when I set it, and two series that just dont get sent through to the PVR).

Matt at IceTV

Quote from: timbertron on November 02, 2008, 12:08:43 PM
I have the iPhone app and its brilliant!! But since buying a Topfield PVR and actually scheduling recordings every so often it tells me there are errors and the recordings need to be re-scheduled. Even though my Mac widget says they are fine, the Ice TV website says they are fine and my Topfield has even set up the timers to record them. Seems like an iPhone specific issue.

Also on the Ice TV website and my iPhone all my programs are shown as queued to record whereas on my Mac widget they are shown as set to be record, as in they dont have the donut symbol. Not sure why this is happening. Most of the shows have been successfully delivered to the PVR (except First Australians which wont even come up as record even when I set it, and two series that just dont get sent through to the PVR).

Hi timbertron,

Not sure what is causing these issues or discrepancies you are experiencing when using your iPhone App versus our other IceTV Interactive features.

Please contact our Support guys through the Contact Us page so that they can look into your account and see if they can locate and fix the problem for you.

Regards,

mattk
IceTV
General Manager
IceTV Pty
1300 654 803