eyetv schedules says "abc1 (unavailable)" but it is , and other problems

Started by sunfish, July 07, 2008, 10:00:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunfish

please tell my why ,no don't bother, just tell me how to fix this. I have mulitple abc1 transmitters available eyetv/icetv mis doesn't seem to be able to deal with this.
So if I have mulitple abc1 transmitters available and they all seem of good quality I can either using the eyetv channel pane , choose one and disable others, OR have duplicates of the same station availabe to eyetv . I have tried disabling one then another of the duplicates or leaving both on.
When using icetv in conjunction with this I get the (unavailable) message when clearly it is available. Furthermore when I schedule a program using icetv remote and it DOES NOT appear in the eyetv guide (but may? appear in the schedule as "abc1 unavailable" )and if i then schedule it manually using the eyetv program guide quite often a warning pops up saying there is a duplicate or clash and telling me the program is already scheduled despite the fact that i can't see it as such in the program guide . What i think is happening here is icetv is setting up a schedule for me in eyetv program guide but it is invisible .
However if I just leave it i.e don't try to manually record a program when it is not appearing in the eyetv program guide (despite the fact that it has been scheduled in icetv as a series or individual recording) , it may or may not be recorded by the invisible schedule set by icetv .
this gets to the root of the problem with icetv and eyetv interact which IMO makes the icetv thing very buggy. you are in a situation where you don't know what to do  you can either , try to manually fix use eyetv in which case you get duplicate recordings (which mean you can't record another program using diversity in affect making useless the dual recording capability which is well worth having) OR hope that icetv scheduling will work (which in this situation it sometimes doesn't ) , all the time risking missing shows that you probably don't want to miss .

I have been battling this problem for months and it really drives me nuts . sometimes the delete prefs script will fix but it creeps back in for no apparent reason or you can be in the situation i am in now where i just used the script and the way thing works sucks more or less within a week .

btw i just did a full delete prefs using the eyetv script supplied in link elsewhere , that was less than a week ago .

I really think icetv would do well to ditch development of support for iphone and widget and just get their basic interaction with eyetv working flawlessly . Afterall isn't that what the service is about guaranteed scheduling and recording of programs via eyetv interface . If that isn't working rock solid what is the point of the thing .

btw I am posting here because i have found email support to icetv be totally erratic.

tonymy01

Maybe I am overstepping the mark a bit here as my Ice experience is Widget, Topfield 5K & Beyonwiz, but from what our experience is with the Beyonwiz, it isn't going to datafill every single channel you have scanned (for obvious reasons including memory, network bandwidth, server load etc).   If you have duplicates of channels, I would suggest deleting all channels and only scanning the best reception frequencies (there is no point having two ABC2 LCN2s from different transmitters, it will just confuse everything).
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

sunfish

thanks for your replby but ah yes but as i understand it you don't have any control over what frequency you scan except for an exhaustive scan which uncovers even more duplicates than the standard scan i use. (and doesn't find any new stations i don't already receive ).
I guess i could ask the abc which is the preferred choice but in reality both transmitters come up with v good signal . I have tried turning one off and then turning the other off to see what happens with the abc unavailable problem but nothing happens immediately . maybe i should be waiting for them to update but this is frustrating.
I have just done a complete delete of eyetv prefs it looks like this is what i will have to do again . that sorts it out if for an unknown duration before it reoccurs . 
What i possibly need to know which is the default frequency icetv chooses for me and turn the other frequency off and then i guess wait for icetv to update eyetv.
does anyone know what is the default broadcast frequency icetv uses for abc1 in Cairns 4870 ?
but then i have the same problem from time to time with sbs which also broadcasts from mulitple transmitters .
this really is a problem for tech support but so far i have had better result by posting here in forum for tech issues . I also feels making the "issue" public places a little pressure on icetv to fix it or just publicly announce that there is an issue.

sunfish

I have realized i can edit the channel chosen for recording by using the edit schedule for the scheduled recording in the Schedules pane . but i have to do this for each "broken" recording. And this doesn't answer why icetv is instructing eyetv to record the wrong channel .

tonymy01

Can you completely delete the "wrong channels" (preferably from the same RF frequency)?   Most STBs will let you do it.
Then you may need to clear the ICE cache to ensure that ICE datafills the channels correctly again.
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

sunfish

I possibly could have solved this issue by simply switch from dvb to icetv in the EPG column of the channels setup window.
now if i could only have some support with other issues .