Using Wired and Wireless Ice Router Interfaces

Started by recur, October 31, 2005, 06:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

recur

I've managed to get my Ice router to use the wired and wireless interfaces simultaneously and to route between them.

I'm now running my Xbox on the wired segment, and using the wireless interface to route back to my access point and the remainder of my home network.

Eth0 on the router is where the Xbox is connected, and it can now reach the internet over the same router that the Toppy updates its EPG from.

I'm not sure what the state of the hub/switch ports on the back of the unit are at the moment, or whether I can activate them. I will investigate further and report back.

The underlying Ice router linux distro isn't too hard to navigate or "adjust".

Shouldn't be too long before someone puts together a page that allows you to tweak the IP forwarding, as well as wireless settings and routing table to give you a lot more control over these routers.

recur

Done.

Step 1: Set up IP address on wired side port within eth0 script located at /etc/init.d
Step 2: Set up IP forwarding echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward within /etc/init.d/rcS
Step 3: Connect outside port to inside ports using a short ethernet cable (Cross over or straight through. Ports appear to be auto sensing)

Now the box will route from the wired to wireless sides with ease.

peteru

You should check out http://icebox.sf.net/ if you are interested in hacking the Netgear or contributing additional functionality.

robbanks

May I recommend a possible feature that would insert proxy settings for those behind a corp firewall...?

cheers
rob

dJOS

I discovered that the network switch on the 634 works fine independently of the router section and if you loop a cable from the router port to the switch and plug the switch into an active network port it works perfectly.

Im not sure if this works if you only have wireless connectivity or not - might be worth a try for those who only have wireless to their toppy's?

My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

Dazza

Sorry to ask a dumb question but how do you modify the ethO scipt at /etc/inid.d &  set up the port forwaridng code /etc/init.d/rcs

Thanks

Dazza

mooksy79

Yes how do you do this in laymans terms? :-/