Not so interactive

Started by alland, May 20, 2008, 04:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on May 21, 2008, 11:40:58 AM...
The only accurate way of ensuring "to the nearest 10seconds" of recording a show is to be watching the channel at the time.   I see ICE currently supports 12 regions around the country with approx 12 channels per region, so do the maths and understand what a mammoth effort it would be to coordinate and employ people in every region to do something as mundane as watch some of the garbage we get dumped with 24x7 and press a button when a show finishes/starts on every channel!

And even if the information was available, there's no way under the current polling protocol for IceTV interactive to apply the change in time, for any reasonable polling frequency.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

alland

Glad to see some thinking and objections occurring. NOW, maybe some other alternative "work arounds" may also be considered.

Do you really think a commercial company is going to do anything unless customers object!!!!

Never said it should happen tommorrow, BUT IT SHOULD HAPPEN.

Thanks all for input

tonymy01

You say you are an engineer, but an engineer would think about the pros & cons and all possible options, and provide a well thought out paragraph with some possible suggestions.    I kind of read from you "I want I want" with seemingly no real thought in how it would be possible to achieve it?
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

bruiser333

Quote from: alland on May 23, 2008, 04:08:18 PM
Do you really think a commercial company is going to do anything unless customers object!!!!

I think commercial entities are more driven by commercial concerns (eg profitability), than customer objections.  I'm sure if there was a commercially viable and technically feasible way to make a buck along the lines of what you are talking about, then they (or someone) would do it.

I had always assumed that the rationale behind Ice dropping the automated advertisement skipping and timer start/stop functions was because PVRs & media centres handled those functions quite well anyway with navigation and padding features.