What's happened to the Topfield Forum?

Started by mikeathome, May 06, 2009, 10:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac37

Quote from: csutak40 on May 14, 2009, 01:48:30 AM
Quote from: mac37 on May 13, 2009, 05:02:33 PM
I remember reading back on the sadly missed iTopfield forum,
Not sure if you're all aware that there is another (the original) Topfield Forum, http://www.topfield-australia.com.au/phpbb2/ that does have a section for the 7000 machines as well

I was not aware - Thank you.

Mac
Mac
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
IceTV Interactive EPG - HDMI to   Linden TV 65

austini

Have decided to take advice given previously on this thread and get rid of the Topfield 7100.  I have had a gut full of the stuck on run problem.

Whilst I'm still within the 30 days since purchase limit I'll get a refund.  At this stage I'm considering purchasing the Beyonwiz DP-P2.

thanks for your help.

Cheers - Gordon

Notace

Quote from: Vortical on May 06, 2009, 12:26:05 PM
Quote from: mikeathome on May 06, 2009, 12:19:28 PM
I rang TF support and was told the site would be down for at least 6 weeks. Managed from Korea, ouside the control of people in Australia. Hard to believe though.

That's quite a long time to be down for.
Anyway thanks for ringing and letting us know.

Edit: The itopfield website and forum is hosted in Korea but as for why the 6 weeks + outage for the forums only has occurred we're all in the dark on that one.

This topic got hijacked very early and seems to have turned into a F/W thread for a little while then nothing.  Has there been any update on the iTopfield forums? Or are they still down for an unspecified time? Is it time to hammer Topfield with annoying phone calls, or perhaps Topfield in Korea?

Ron

mikeathome

I rang TF support yesterday as the six weeks was more than over. Was told that the forum would be back "soon" - pressed for more precision but didn't get it. Also the person I spoke to said that the delay was because a new web site was being developed - apparently web site developers cannot be held accountable for keeping to delivery dates as their work is "difficult". He would not confirm that the content of the old site was going to find its way to the new - although he did say that it wouild be a good idea.

Some of the user guides have recently been published on DTV Forum.

mikeathome

Progress report. No information available about the forum's return. Someone is (said to be) working on it. Comment was made that the more people that call and complain about its absence the more likely it is that the work will be given higher priority.

mcarfa

well I am on my 2nd Toppy.  My first 7100 died after about 14 months but only needed to be sent back to Topfield once.
I now have a newer 7100 purchased January.  Started palying up (freezing during playback and then not seeing Hard Drive)  Sent it to Topfiled and 3 weeks later eventaully got it back.  New firmaware and new HDD.  The day after we got it back same problems occurred.  I am frustrated by the lack of support I am getting.  Difficult to get through on the phone and they do not reply to emails.  Whay can't I be told to take it back to the place of purchase and get a new one?  No I have to send it back to them again, only this time they will make it a priority....haha.
My wife has terminal cancer and sits at home all day.  She relies on this machine to record and replay TV programs for her to watch. It does not does this reliably.  My PC has a dualt tuner card and it NEVER plays up, so why can't Topfield get their one to work??  It only marginally better than the old Toshiba HDJ35? device I had.

I am sick of this.  what should I buy that will do what I want if this time they don't fix it?  Any ideas please.

signed
frustrated.

prl

Quote from: mcarfa on August 12, 2009, 05:08:20 PM
... Whay can't I be told to take it back to the place of purchase and get a new one?  No I have to send it back to them again, only this time they will make it a priority....haha.

My understanding is that the retailer should normally be the first point of contact for warranty problems. Unfortunately, though, I think for faults (rather than "unfit for purpose"), the retailer, like the manufacturer, has the option of offering repair or replacement. Some warranties offer replacement for Dead On Arrival, but you've probably had the 7100 for longer than those warranty conditions last, if they exist at all.

You could try contacting your local Fair Trading/Consumer Affairs office if you're unsatisfied with the service you're getting.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

AMLagonda

My topfield 7100 is a dream, it had had no problems (except one where it deleted a show we were in the middle of watching???)
The 7100 and IceTV is exactly what I wanted and its great knowing that having shows we want to watch will be there waiting for us even if the station
changes the time of the program!!

I could never go back to programing a timer  :-\ no way.

mcarfa

Well got my Toppy back again today.  Its still working -:)  This time they needed to replace the power PCB whatever that means.  Now I have new power PCB and new hard drive plus new firmware but no warranty extension even though Topfield have had the thing on and off for one month now.  Still can't complain about that can I.  Well I expect everyone to help by keeping their fingers crossed for me. ;D

Notace

Quote from: mikeathome on July 23, 2009, 09:19:06 AM
Progress report. No information available about the forum's return. Someone is (said to be) working on it. Comment was made that the more people that call and complain about its absence the more likely it is that the work will be given higher priority.

It's been a while now. Is there any further information on this? Obviously not a high priority for Topfield.

Regards
Ron

mikeathome

Why not call Topfield support and ask - there's a chance that adverse customer feedback to the forum removal could result in it coming back.

Notace

Quote from: mikeathome on September 05, 2009, 06:22:10 PM
Why not call Topfield support and ask - there's a chance that adverse customer feedback to the forum removal could result in it coming back.
I emailed them. Their reply was (I'm paraphrasing here) "The forum was a user run forum and we have no control over them". Sound like complete bulltish to me, but certainly doesn't sound hopeful for the return of the forum, does it?  Can Vortical etc. comment on this?

Regards, Ron.

tonymy01

Maybe what they meant was that the support etc provided was not endorsed in any way by Topfield (even though they had provided the forum hosting and software LOL).
So they didn't like that users can say anything, so closed it down.    Must be a pride thing.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Vortical

Quote from: Notace on September 30, 2009, 11:05:52 AM
Quote from: mikeathome on September 05, 2009, 06:22:10 PM
I emailed them. Their reply was (I'm paraphrasing here) "The forum was a user run forum and we have no control over them". Sound like complete bulltish to me, but certainly doesn't sound hopeful for the return of the forum, does it?  Can Vortical etc. comment on this?

Regards, Ron.
As far as the Forum coming back the beta testers have been told the same as everyone else.
I always thought having the two forums and websites would cause more confusion than anything else, I pretty much stopped using the DPG Topfield forums as soon as itopfield was online.

Having said that I have a distinct suspicion that Topfield wanted the topfield.com.au domain back so there can be no confusion over who is distributing the product.
I beleive that is what is causing the delay.  So we will probably see a new Website and hopefully a new Official Forum,

Toppy.org.uk have created a Aussie Topfield section for those who can't wait for Topfield to get the forum up and running again.
http://forum.toppy.org.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=21

mikeathome

For those who haven't been made aware the Topfield forum has been back for a couple of weeks (actually it has started again with none of the old posts kept unfortunately).

http://www.itopfield.com.au/forum/default.asp