New firmware released for IceBox 1.11.6

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, March 21, 2024, 03:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian_AW

Thanks. The channel numbers are back.

Any reason as to why the ABC channels have gone AWOL?

GreyNomad

Hi Daniel,

I have a problem with the ad skipping. While watching a new recording (after the update), the sound frequently cut off and on for about 1/2 a second. However, the most significant problem was with the ad skpping whereby after the ad break, the video repeatedly cut off and on, until finaly there was just a blank screen. I have checked the recording (using my PC) and it is fine, so I turned off the ad skipping feature and now it looks and sounds OK.

Regards — Russell

TimC

Quote from: GreyNomad on March 27, 2024, 10:08:00 AMHowever, the most significant problem was with the ad skipping whereby after the ad break, the video repeatedly cut off and on, until finally there was just a blank screen.

That looks more like a HDMI issue.  Do you have a HDMI cable connected directly to your TV or is there something else in between, e.g. an AV Amplifier, a HDMI extender, HDMI splitter, HDMI switch, etc.)?

Sometimes with HDMI, something that interrupts the data flow can trigger the receiving device to go through a housekeeping check which results in a bit of flashing while the HDMI reconfigures itself. Sometimes the result can be a blank screen.  The more devices in the chain, the worse the flashing can get.

Usually a directly connected TV doesn't do that, but a bad cable may cause something similar.

Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

IanL-S

Also check the video output setting - should be 50 not 60.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

GreyNomad

Thanks for the replies.

The video output is set to 50 although it was 30. Not sure how that happened.

The HDMI cable is less than 12 months old and is connected directly to the TV.

When turning off the ad skipping function, the recordings play normally. For now, I have left it off and will revisit the issue at a later date. In the meantime, I can easily use skip forward via the remote.

IanL-S

Are you using an IceTV IceBox or a BYOB? If a BYOB what CPU does it have, and how much RAM?
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

TimC

I started this thought on another thread, but brought it here as it is more relevant to the recent update.

The point I was making was regarding ongoing development and how the recent update worked.

I expressed a desire for a reset that didn't wipe my addons and a channel scan independent of a reset and was more effective and capturing both the channels and their relevant channel numbers.

With the recent update there seemed to be something close to what I have been looking for. The update was able to be implemented without wiping my addons and implemented a channel scan as well.  However, whether there was anything reset related involved in the update, I don't know. There also seemed to be something off about the related channel scan as well. It seemed that even the more experienced users were having missing channel and missing channel number issues. In my case the channel scan missed entire channels, as well as many channel numbers. Unfortunately, there was no way the redo the channel scan without a reset.  As a result, I had to spend another day reinstalling all my addins and tweaking the various settings to get the IceBox back to where it was.

I suspect the Channel scan with the update may need a slightly longer sample period for each frequency to be more reliable at capturing the all the channels and the related channel numbers. i.e. it would take longer, but return more data.

It looks like the possibility of a channel scan Independent of a reset is within reach. If you can have one with the update, it shouldn't take much more to put an option in the IceBox UI to allow it to happen.

MD

Hi Tim,

Yes we are aware of the missing channel issue which we believed had been fixed during testing and we are still investigating as to the cause, amongst other development tasks. We will implement the ability to do a separate channel scan asap as it is also important to be carried out outside of a soft reset should a network bring out a new one.

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: TimC on March 27, 2024, 06:59:29 PMI suspect the Channel scan with the update may need a slightly longer sample period for each frequency to be more reliable at capturing the all the channels and the related channel numbers. i.e. it would take longer, but return more data.
I recently wrote an addon for LibreELEC that touches on scanning channels.

During the channel scanning process, I found that two possible errors could occur.  The most common error was no LCNs, but also less frequently, no service name.

My solution was to not take the TVH scan return status at face value.  If the scan 'passed', I still looked to see if there were any LCNs found on that mux, if not, I would rescan until I either got LCNs or exceeded and arbitrary number of scan attempts.

From what I can see from the DVB specs, the LCNs are broadcast separately to the central channel definitions.  Perhaps the TVH scanning process is not waiting long enough and may need some further investigation.

panio-man

Hi

My icetv is 11.03 but have done several reboots yet no 11.06 install has happened.

I even did a soft reset still no update.

Any thoughts on how to get the update?

Thanks Ron

raymondjpg

Quote from: TimC on March 27, 2024, 06:59:29 PMI suspect the Channel scan with the update may need a slightly longer sample period for each frequency to be more reliable at capturing the all the channels and the related channel numbers. i.e. it would take longer, but return more data.

It looks like the possibility of a channel scan Independent of a reset is within reach. If you can have one with the update, it shouldn't take much more to put an option in the IceBox UI to allow it to happen.
You could try the Force Scan option in the Web UI Configuration|Networks|Force Scan. I haven't done it myself in IceBox, only LibreELEC test installations, but I can't think of a reason why it would upset IceBox to do one. No guarantees!
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

Quote from: panio-man on March 28, 2024, 09:26:47 AMHi

My icetv is 11.03 but have done several reboots yet no 11.06 install has happened.

Thanks Ron

I cannot find a link for downloading 11.06 - I am chasing it up with the development team.
Synology NAS

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: panio-man on March 28, 2024, 09:26:47 AMHi

Thanks Ron

Hi Ron,

I can copy in here the email we sent to people without 1.11.3, and it's the manual firmware upgrade instructions:

The updated firmware is available for download from https://releases.icetv.com.au/generic/IceBox-Generic.x86_64-1.11.6.img.gz

To update the firmware on the IceBox, download the update file, then get the IP address of the IceBox by going into the settings (the cog icon on the main screen), then going across and selecting "System Information". On "Summary" tab write down the "IP address" (this will be referred to as IP_ADDRESS for the rest of this guide)

Then choose the steps for you depending if you are using a Windows PC or a Mac:

For a Windows PC:
1. Open the Run box by pressing the Windows and "R" keys together on the keyboard
2. In the Run box that comes up type in "\\IP_ADDRESS" (without the quotes, and put in the actual ip address that you wrote down above, for example "\\192.168.0.89"), then click on OK
3. If it comes up asking for a username and password then put in a username of just 'guest' and don't put anything in the password field.
4. On the list of folders that comes up go into the "Update" folder.
5. Copy the file you downloaded above with the filename of "IceBox-Generic.x86_64-1.11.6.img.gz" to this "Update" folder and wait until the you are sure the file has finished copying.

For a Mac:
1. Full details on this process is available on the Apple website at https://support.apple.com/lt-lt/guide/mac-help/mchlp1140/mac
2. In the finder under the "Go" menu select "Connect to Server"
3. In the "Server Address" field type in "smb://ip_address" (for example "smb://192.168.0.89")
4. Click connect
5. Select to connect at "Guest"
6. Select the "Update" share as the one to connect to
7. When the folder opens copy the file you downloaded above with the filename of "IceBox-Generic.x86_64-1.11.6.img.gz" to this "Update" folder and wait until the you are sure the file has finished copying.

Once the update file is in the correct location, the rest of the process is on the IceBox itself.

Press the power button on the remote control and a menu will come up for "Power Options", go down to "Reboot" and press the "OK" button on the remote control.

The IceBox will reboot twice, after the first reboot you will see some text on the screen as the update is applied, then it will reboot again into the new IceBox firmware. You will know the process is complete once the normal IceBox home screen is shown.

The first time the new firmware loads a migration of your settings will occur, this will include a re-scan of channels, this is all automatic and you will be updated on the progress through it. Once the migration is complete your IceBox will reboot one last time.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

TimC

Quote from: raymondjpg on March 28, 2024, 10:01:59 AMYou could try the Force Scan option in the Web UI Configuration|Networks|Force Scan.

Youve lost me there Raymond. How do you get to "Web UI Configuration|Networks|Force Scan"?