Main Menu

Lockup

Started by Jenolan, January 30, 2024, 09:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenolan

Almost everyday when I turn the TV HDMI to the Icebox it seems to be locked up. The remote will not garner a response and I need to reboot the system.

One time I tried removing and re-inserting the remote usb dongle (after waiting before inserting) this caused a re-boot anyway.

Have noticed that pressing the remote keys doesn't always seem to be recognised, yes changed the batteries, that's survivable but the need to boot all the time is getting tedious.

Thanks
Larry
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>

We have an IceBox .... once a Skippa & Humax

TimC

It certainly sounds unhappy.

Has it always done this or is it just recent behavior?

In and case a Soft Reset may be the best next action e.g.:
A soft reset takes you back to factory settings but retains any recordings you have.
You will then be asked for your login/password and will then rescan the channels.
Note: It will remove any Addons you have installed.
To do a soft reset:
1. Press the Home key
2. lick on the Cog icon (at top)
3. Click on the LibreElec button
4. On the System tab, move to the Right and scroll down to and click on "Reset System Settings to Defaults".

From there, follow the bouncing ball.  You will see a couple of confusing notifications.
Note: there is a point where nothing appears to be happening for a short while (a minute or so - From Memory shortly before the channel rescan) and you may be tempted to click on a button. Resist doing so. If nothing happens for ten minutes re-clicking a Next button might be necessary.

Another possibility I have seen in PVRs generally is a Hard Drive that is almost full can cause strange things to happen. You could try deleting any recordings you don't need.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

TimC

Also, you will need to redo any personal settings you set up (e.g., regional settings for your area).

Jenolan

We have hardly any disk usage, will try the soft reload again but it didn't make any difference last time I tried.

It is like it goes to sleep and then zombies ... tried telling it not to sleep but that made no difference.

Hohum ;-)
<?= "Jenolan(Larry) :: Coding Since 1973" ?>

We have an IceBox .... once a Skippa & Humax

TimC

When you say the unit is "locked up", is the screen blank, on a Menu or a frozen picture?

Some of the possibilities I can think of:
1. software getting into a loop and not being able to see the dongle that detects the RF signal from the remote. (Possibly reload the latest firmware - This retains existing recordings)
2. a strong external RF signal interfering with the remote signal. (Unlikely, but possible)
3. a faulty remote, (Replace Remote and dongle)
4. a faulty remote dongle, (Replace Remote and Dongle)
5. a bad connection between the USB port and the circuit board, (Replace Icebox)
6. some other Hardware fault. (Replace Icebox)

Other thoughts:
When the Box goes to "sleep", does it ever come good on its own i.e. if you leave it for a while.

Do you push the button on the box to reboot it, or do you have to turn the power off?

You can Try plugging a USB Keyboard in, the Backspace key should bring up the Main Menu ("Home" function) and the Arrow Keys should move the selection around and Enter the equivalent of the OK button.

How good is the Network you are connected to? (Dropouts could cause spurious software issues)

Has the unit had the SSD replaced? (checkout the forum threads on the subject)

Has the new firmware been installed? (checkout the forum threads on the subject)

Failing all that, I am out of ideas and I suggest calling Customer Support.

vader1111

Quote from: Jenolan on January 30, 2024, 09:15:12 AMAlmost everyday when I turn the TV HDMI to the Icebox it seems to be locked up. The remote will not garner a response and I need to reboot the system.

One time I tried removing and re-inserting the remote usb dongle (after waiting before inserting) this caused a re-boot anyway.

Have noticed that pressing the remote keys doesn't always seem to be recognised, yes changed the batteries, that's survivable but the need to boot all the time is getting tedious.

Thanks
Larry
Are you putting it into "Suspend" mode, from the power menu?

From what I've been told, the IceBox wakes itself up to service scheduled timers/recordings, but otherwise it remains suspended.  From my own personal testing, and IceBox in "Suspend" mode does not respond to the remote control, so the only way of "waking" it is to press the power button on the IceBox itself.

Short version... never select "Suspend" on the power menu.

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: vader1111 on January 31, 2024, 10:50:53 AMFrom what I've been told, the IceBox wakes itself up to service scheduled timers/recordings
Does this feature have a version dependency?

vader1111

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on January 31, 2024, 11:45:22 AM
Quote from: vader1111 on January 31, 2024, 10:50:53 AMFrom what I've been told, the IceBox wakes itself up to service scheduled timers/recordings
No idea.  That would be a question for Dan.

I don't know if anyone has even tried leaving it in Suspend mode, to verify that it does wake up for scheduled recordings.  I've steered clear of it since discovering that it didn't respond to the remote control while in this mode.

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: vader1111 on January 31, 2024, 01:14:40 PM

I don't know if anyone has even tried leaving it in Suspend mode, to verify that it does wake up for scheduled recordings.  I've steered clear of it since discovering that it didn't respond to the remote control while in this mode.
I did a quick test and the IceBox did not wake out of suspend using addon v0.1.54.

vader1111

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on February 01, 2024, 03:52:18 PM
Quote from: vader1111 on January 31, 2024, 01:14:40 PM

I did a quick test and the IceBox did not wake out of suspend using addon v0.1.54.
It's not something that would/should be dealt with by the IceTV addon.  If anything, it would be handled at the LibreELEC level.  I suspect all USB operations are suspended in that mode, which is why it doesn't respond to the RCU.  That is just me guessing though.

raymondjpg

Quote from: vader1111 on February 01, 2024, 04:57:32 PMI suspect all USB operations are suspended in that mode, which is why it doesn't respond to the RCU.  That is just me guessing though.
Not necessarily so. See here https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=7841.new#new

That is with an IceBox BYO; behaviour of IceBox could be different, but it is not possible to say one way or the other on this evidence. My suspicion would be that the USB ports on IceBox don't die either.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

I suspect the BIOS settings may play a role in getting this to work. The BIOS settings on the IceTV IceBox are rather limited when it comes to power options. Those on my BYOB (has Intel BIOS) are slightly more comprehensive.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help