suitable alternate remote for ICEbox?

Started by Robert_M, July 23, 2023, 09:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert_M

I have just setup my sister-in-law's ICEbox and found the supplied remote control for it somewhat restrictive, given that I am used to a Beyonwiz T4's expanded remote, with many functions that ICEbox needs to drill down to do on it's remote are often a dedicated single button press away on the T4.
Is there another remote that can be obtained that will also control the ICEbox as described or similar to above?
It would also make it simpler to use for the technically challenged (the partner) & (thinking possible upgrade but the partner needs to be able to use easily).

raymondjpg

Quote from: Robert_M on July 23, 2023, 09:03:12 AMI have just setup my sister-in-law's ICEbox and found the supplied remote control for it somewhat restrictive, given that I am used to a Beyonwiz T4's expanded remote, with many functions that ICEbox needs to drill down to do on it's remote are often a dedicated single button press away on the T4.
Is there another remote that can be obtained that will also control the ICEbox as described or similar to above?
It would also make it simpler to use for the technically challenged (the partner) & (thinking possible upgrade but the partner needs to be able to use easily).
A different remote won't get you any closer to what you can do with a T4, and the IceBox is built around what can be done in Kodi. So one-touch solutions are generally not possible, and "drilling down" in context menus is a standard way of moving around in and driving Kodi.

I really don't think that using the context menus in Kodi is technically challenging, it's just a matter of getting used to it. In general I think that the IceBox RCU makes a pretty good fist of providing a mix of some one-touch and context menu driven solutions.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Robert_M

Hello Raymond,
Thank you for your quick reply and answer :)

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: Robert_M on July 23, 2023, 11:34:59 AMHello Raymond,
Thank you for your quick reply and answer :)
IceBox/Kodi keyboard remapping is actually fairly comprehensive and consists of 2 basic steps:

Control device -> Standard keyboard keystroke.
Keystroke -> Internal Kodi function.

In the first step, you may have an external wireless keyboard, or IR remote control.  Whatever the device is, you need to be able to configure it so that it generates what the IceBox thinks is a keyboard keystroke.

By default, Kodi already has a number of keystrokes mapped onto internal functions.  For example, the keystroke 'x' is mapped to the internal command 'Stop'.

In the keyboard configuration file, you will see something like this:

<x>Stop</x>
There are extra commands that perform extended functions.  For example:
<g mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(TVGuide)</g>
This means that pressing CTRL-G will open the EPG window.  To may your Beyonwiz RCU to open the EPG on Kodi, you just need to translate whatever IR code it generates into a CTRL-G keystroke.

and

<o mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(TVRecordings)</o>
CTRL-O will display a list of your recordings ready for playback.  If you can find out the internal window name, you can open it directly with a single keystroke.

<red>seek(180)</red>
Will skip forward 3 minutes in the currently playing media.  This example is not opening a custom window, instead, it is performing a custom command.

It gets even more granular.  You can say that one key performs one function when you are doing one activity, like watching a video, but that the same key performs a different function when you are doing another activity, like listening to music.

If you want to emulate what your Beyonwiz RCU used to do, you can probably get very close, maybe even spot on.  If you no longer need the Beyonwiz RCU, you can even get a device that will convert the Beyonwiz IR signals into a keystrokes.  We have seen success with a device called a Flirc.

The next thing that you need to do is articulate exactly which functions you want the IceBox to do when you press a button on the Beyonwiz RCU.  You can then either map that button to an existing keyboard shortcut, or map it to an unused key and then manually map that to the custom function that you require.

There is a Kodi addon that allows users to remap keyboard functions, so you don't really have to change configuration files if that is beyond your skill level.

List the top 5 Beyonwiz RCU functions (forget about simple things like play/stop/pause, etc) that you could not live without and we can try to find an IceBox/Kodi equivalent.

TimC

Quote from: Robert_M on July 23, 2023, 09:03:12 AMIs there another remote that can be obtained that will also control the ICEbox as described or similar to above?

A possible solution is covered here.
Flirc Solution

It uses the Flirc USB to emulate a Remote Control.

It costs around 30 to 35 dollars. You can order it through Amazon and it arrives in a couple of days.

Once you have it you just plug it into a PC and grab any Infrared Remote you no longer use and follow the steps.

Postscript.  I discovered that you need to program the Flirc with full  3 second button presses. Otherwise random IR from a TV can trigger it.

Quote from: Robert_M on July 23, 2023, 09:03:12 AMI am used to a Beyonwiz T4's expanded remote, with many functions that ICEbox needs to drill down to do on it's remote are often a dedicated single button press away on the T4.

I Haven't seen the Beyonwiz so I am not familiar with the function you are looking for. Whether the IceBox can do anything similar is an interesting question.

Sometime (Probably the next Ashes Test) I am planning to take a Keyboard and plug it into the IceBox and find out what each key actually does and build a table so that anybody can set up their own controller. Hopefully I won't break anything along the way.

A second remote also ends the family Remote Control war (or the Lost Remote) issue.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Robert_M

Thank you DMC for your kind thoughts.

The sister-in-law is still playing, learning, getting accustomed to their new IceBox so for now, if I may come back to answering you after they work out what they want.
I too am interested as my T4 won't live forever and eventually I will need to "jump", hence the idea of the RCU cloning many functions I might use daily.

The process your suggest with the Flirc, thank you TimC, does however seem somewhat technically challenging, or am I underrating myself?

I agree not all T4 RCU functions need to be copied and will have to think what my top list would be.

Will report back. :)

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: TimC on July 23, 2023, 03:04:28 PMSometime (Probably the next Ashes Test) I am planning to take a Keyboard and plug it into the IceBox and find out what each key actually does and build a table so that anybody can set up their own controller.
You could start by looking at the default keyboard mapping file.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
For each section (global, LoginScreen, Home, VirtualKeyboard, etc) you can see which keys (plus optional modifiers) are mapped to which functions.

srto2

Quote from: TimC on July 23, 2023, 03:04:28 PMSometime (Probably the next Ashes Test) I am planning to take a Keyboard and plug it into the IceBox and find out what each key actually does and build a table so that anybody can set up their own controller. Hopefully I won't break anything along the way.

No need to wait 'til then.  Probably more rain anyway...

Using a Rii wireless mini keyboard, I get the following:

A = Audio Delay Adj +/-
B = Timers
E = EPG
F = FF (x2,x4,x8 etc)
H = Channels (List)
I = Info (Also M)
J = Radio Channels (List)
K = Recordings
M = Info (also I)
O = More Info
R = Rewind (-x2, -x4, -x8 etc)
S = Power Options
T = Subtitles
X = Stop Playback

Page Up-Page Down = Channel Up-Down
Number Keys select LCNs
Arrow Keys same as RCU
Enter = OK
F8 = Mute
F9 = Vol Down
F10 = Vol Up
ESC = Back, Ice Key, gets you out of submenus or back to the main Kodi menu.
SpaceBar = Wakeup (from suspend), also Pause + Timeshift Bar
Play,Pause,Stop (on the Rii Keyboard) as per the Ice RCU

I have used a Harmony Remote (650) to do it all, by substituting a renamed Beyonwiz DP-P1 as the "device" for the IceBox "Activity" using the Beyonwiz functions (adding extra soft functions as required), by programming a Flirc IR-USB dongle.

The only function that I feel is missing, at this stage, is a Red Button, for instant record.  Not a big deal though, it's quickly accessible from the Kodi menus.  Remapping can probably achieve that.  Probably after the next Test...

I have thrown my ICE RCU away now!  Not really - but I can certainly do all I need without it.

IanL-S

For the everyday user I suspect the RCU sold by IceTV is the best option (unless they have some special need). However, I suspect I am not one of those users!

Not sure if this is off-topic but ...

Has anyone found an alternative RCU where the mouse key behaves properly? With all the ones I have used once activated deactivating the mouse can be a pain. Using a standalone USB mouse not cause the same problem; nor does the touchpad on my Logitech keyboard [connects wireless via USB dongle].
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Ian_AW

FWIW, I am using a wireless Mini Keyboard (with a touchpad although I rarely use the touchpad). The touchpad should give you normal mouse actions.

It does need to be recharged every so often (it uses a phone battery), and I cannot find a suitable key combination to match the power button on the standard remote control. I have the standard remote control for that :)

A good Kodi "cheat sheet" should give you the keys to more controls.

Hati

Quote from: IanL-S on July 24, 2023, 02:31:51 PMHas anyone found an alternative RCU where the mouse key behaves properly? With all the ones I have used once activated deactivating the mouse can be a pain.

Wouldn't say "found" as yet, still to be tested with the IceBox, but on paper at least, seems to be crossing all the "t"s and dotting all the "i"s. There are a few reviews floating around that demonstrate the air mouse function on other devices. The potential is there. I thought the 30 buck price tag warrants an order even if it proves to be useless.

My motivation though is to replace the horrible factory remote hardware. I, and more importantly Mrs. Hati is happy with the function set and the required menu drills.

WeChip W1: https://www.amazon.com.au/Wireless-Keyboard-Android-Control-Projector/dp/B07FX672TJ/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3BEA5Q97JU8YI&keywords=wechip&qid=1690284343&sprefix=%2Caps%2C257&sr=8-2

TimC

Quote from: IanL-S on July 24, 2023, 02:31:51 PMHas anyone found an alternative RCU where the mouse key behaves properly? With all the ones I have used once activated deactivating the mouse can be a pain. Using a standalone USB mouse not cause the same problem; nor does the touchpad on my Logitech keyboard [connects wireless via USB dongle].

I'm not an IceBox remote expert and I can't speak to other remotes, but I did have the impression that the mouse button on the IceBox triggers an internal function on the remote that changes the signaling to Mouse based codes instead of Key based codes, if that makes sense.

Once you press it, the navigation buttons become the left/right/up/down mouse actions. When the Icebox starts receiving them, it places the mouse arrow on the screen.

I think that if you press it again the remote reverts to sending key codes.

TimC

Quote from: srto2 on July 24, 2023, 01:39:38 PMThe only function that I feel is missing, at this stage, is a Red Button, for instant record.  Not a big deal though, it's quickly accessible from the Kodi menus.  Remapping can probably achieve that.  Probably after the next Test...

You can get instant record via the Flirc by selecting the Flirc's "Microsoft WMC" controller.
Programming the Microsoft WMC controller's Record button gives you Instant Record.

Ian_AW

Quote from: srto2 on July 24, 2023, 01:39:38 PMThe only function that I feel is missing, at this stage, is a Red Button, for instant record.  Not a big deal though, it's quickly accessible from the Kodi menus.  Remapping can probably achieve that.  Probably after the next Test...

I have thrown my ICE RCU away now!  Not really - but I can certainly do all I need without it.

Thanks for the button mapping however I have searched high and low but cannot find the key combination for the "List" button In a Windows environment, this referred to as the Properties button. In Windows, this is pressing the Properties button or the right mouse button.

I have gone through every key on my mini wireless keyboard, but none bring up this command sequence.

Anyone managed to find this out?

Thanks.

TimC

Quote from: Ian_AW on July 31, 2023, 03:34:02 PMI have searched high and low but cannot find the key combination for the "List" button In a Windows environment, this referred to as the Properties button. In Windows, this is pressing the Properties button or the right mouse button.

Looking at this from another angle, is there an IceBox function that the LIST button invokes?