Timer conflicts

Started by BazzaG, August 26, 2021, 10:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BazzaG

With 1 of my 4 tuners in my Beyonwiz U4 dying I'm now having to deal with Timer Conflicts but I'm getting some odd results and I'm not sure how to resolve them once I've made changes.

First, at 12:05am this morning I received this email:

QuoteShow Name:   Australia: Now and Then
Channel:   7HD
Time:   2021-Aug-31 20:30:00
Duration:   60
Device Label:   Beyonwiz U4
Device Type:   Beyonwiz U4
Message from recorder:   Timer conflict: 'Australia: Now and Then', 'The Hundred with Andy Lee', 'The Cheap Seats', 'Bliss'
Last Updated:   2021-08-26 00:05:09

Correct. So I went online & deleted the episode recording for: 'The Hundred with Andy Lee'.

There is NO conflict now, however, as per the screenshot: TuesdayAug312021.jpg, 'Australia: Now and Then' still shows as being "in conflict".

Also odd, is I would expect the "conflicting" show would be: 'The Cheap Seats', this show is the last or latest show to start, NOT the first/earliest as 'Australia: Now and Then' is. To me this is rather odd behaviour.

Second, I wanted to record a show on SBS @9pm on Sunday night. As things were, this would lead to a conflict, so I DELETED the episode recording of '60 Minutes' *BEFORE* making any changes. However, I still received the following shortly after adding the SBS recording:

QuoteShow Name:   Egypt's Lost Pyramid
Channel:   SBS HD
Time:   2021-Aug-29 21:30:00
Duration:   50
Device Label:   Beyonwiz U4
Device Type:   Beyonwiz U4
Message from recorder:   Timer conflict: 'Egypt's Lost Pyramid', '60 Minutes', 'The Newsreader', 'Homicide: With Ron Iddles'
Last Updated:   2021-08-26 09:05:09

See: Sunday29Aug2021.jpg

Once I had deleted '60 Minutes' episode; which I did beforehand, there is *NO* conflict.

* So how to I resolve these conflicts?

* Why am I getting a "conflict" email when there is no conflict?

A response would be most appreciated...

Cheers
BazzaG...

prl

Timer messages from IceTV are processed in the order that they appear in the update message from the IceTV server. If the "add" is in the list before the "before", you'll get a conflict message, even though there would not be a conflict if they appeared in the opposite order. I don't know whether that's the reason for the problem, but it could be. Daniel Hall could answer that.

Also, conflict processing is done as each timer in the IceTV update is processed. The added timer is tested against what's in the timer list already, and it's always the timer being added that's flagged as the one being in conflict. It doesn't matter what the start and end times of the timers are, other than for determining that there is a conflict.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

BazzaG

Peter,

Some of your reply doesn't make logical sense to me. Recordings should be added in chronological order; including any post/pre recording buffers. But since I don't have access to the IceTV source code, etc. etc. what seems illogical to me might not be.

The Sunday conflict is concerning though. If I tried to add the SBS recording BEFORE making any changes to the existing list of recording there would definitely be a conflict. However, I deleted the episode recording of 60 minutes, waited a while, checked that the timer had been deleted from my U4 and then added the SBS recording. At this time there was NO conflict.

Given that the 60 minutes recording is a series recording it appears that IceTV has rejected the recording based on that rather than check the actual list of active recordings for the time.

Seems that I/we will have to wait until either Daniel or MD replies to this post.

Cheers...

PS. I've just received an email from AusPost with my tracking nbr, etc. and the eBay sight that I have purchased the new tuner from has changed the package to priority rather than standard. I know that AusPost is very busy these days due to lockdowns, etc. but hopefully it will arrive no later than Monday so these conflict issues will no longer be a issue.

prl

Quote from: BazzaG on August 26, 2021, 01:26:31 PM
Some of your reply doesn't make logical sense to me. Recordings should be added in chronological order; including any post/pre recording buffers. But since I don't have access to the IceTV source code, etc. etc. what seems illogical to me might not be.

I don't know why it's logical that timers should be added in chronological order. IIRC, the EPG data from the IceTV server is in chronological order, though that should make no visible difference its processing (providing there are no overlaps).

IMO the important thing is that removes should be processed before adds and updates, no matter what their chronological order is. That could be achieved without plugin-side changes by the IceTV server sending them in that order.

Neither of us have access to the IceTV server side code. The Beyonwiz IceTV plugin code, however, is open source and anyone can read it: https://bitbucket.org/beyonwiz/easy-ui-4/src/master/lib/python/Plugins/SystemPlugins/IceTV/, though there's probably a fairly steep learning curve to understand it.

Quote from: BazzaG on August 26, 2021, 01:26:31 PM
The Sunday conflict is concerning though. If I tried to add the SBS recording BEFORE making any changes to the existing list of recording there would definitely be a conflict. However, I deleted the episode recording of 60 minutes, waited a while, checked that the timer had been deleted from my U4 and then added the SBS recording. At this time there was NO conflict.

Given that the 60 minutes recording is a series recording it appears that IceTV has rejected the recording based on that rather than check the actual list of active recordings for the time.

It's not actually IceTV "rejecting" the recording. It's the timer management code in the U4. It checks each new timer that is being added against the timers that are already in the timer list, and reports any conflicts. If the IceTV email says that there's a conflict between 'Egypt's Lost Pyramid' and '60 Minutes', 'The Newsreader' & 'Homicide: With Ron Iddles', it means that at the time the Beyonwiz processed the IceTV recording request for 'Egypt's Lost Pyramid', there were conflicting recordings of '60 Minutes', 'The Newsreader' & 'Homicide: With Ron Iddles' in the U4 timer list.

The IceTV server has no idea what the timer conflict conditions are on a Beyonwiz client. It just sends requests and the client tells the server whether the requests could be met.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

Another complicating factor is when the EPG data for the particular program is entered into the IceTV database. For example data for "secondary" LCNs may be added later than that for main LCNs.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on August 26, 2021, 04:15:46 PM
Another complicating factor is when the EPG data for the particular program is entered into the IceTV database. For example data for "secondary" LCNs may be added later than that for main LCNs.

The only difference that makes is when the timer gets its description. All other timer data is contained in the IceTV timer request.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

BazzaG

Thanks for the discussion about timers, I understand things a bit more than I did before.

I purchased a Sony PS3 PlayTV tuner, it arrived today, it's now installed on my U4, both tuners are working on my U4, so shouldn't get any more timer conflicts.

Cheers...

IanL-S

BazzaG,

Glad that the Sony PS3 PalyTV tuner is working for you. I have not had a timer conflict on my U4 since installing one.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help