ABC switching to HD transmission

Started by Andrew Smith, December 05, 2016, 10:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

This is strange; 50/50 success. T2 2 and SKIPPA 2 are downloading neither EGP nor timers. EPG completely empty; no scheduled timers. T2 1 and SKIPPA 1 have downloaded both EPG and Timers.

In both cased the PVR thinks that it has completed EPG/Timer download. Very strange.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: BruceJG on December 06, 2016, 04:55:36 PM
I finally found ABC HD at the end of my EPG list, NOT with the other ABC channels.
Which bouquet? A rescan to get ABC HD will change your current bouquet to LastScanned, and yes, ABC HD will be out of order there. But it should be in the correct place in Terrestrial TV LCN (grouped with the other two-digit ABC LCNs).

You'll also need to add it to your Favourites list if you use one.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on December 06, 2016, 05:35:24 PM
This is strange; 50/50 success. T2 2 and SKIPPA 2 are downloading neither EGP nor timers. EPG completely empty; no scheduled timers. T2 1 and SKIPPA 1 have downloaded both EPG and Timers.
I had an instance of that on a T4 in Canberra. I fixed it with Disable EPG/Enable EPG/Ferch EPG...

YMMV.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

prl

Quote from: Rhetts on December 06, 2016, 04:45:42 PM...
Issue fixed, EPG has appeared. No recordings yet, but I presume they will follow.
I'm not sure quite what you mean by that, but if you think that your ABC recordings will automatically migrate to ABC HD, I doubt that that will happen.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Paul55

Just did retunes on 1 x Toppy 2400 and 3 x DP Beyonwiz.
Toppy via JustEPG (XML) has ABC HD EPG.
Toppy via native EPG - No ABC HD EPG.
All Wiz DPs - No ABC HD EPG.
All PVRs are one hour out for ABC HD Now and Next info. Daylight Saving? - I'm in QLD. Obviously not an IceTV issue for N & N.
And yes, I have made sure I have ABC HD set to 20 in My Account, Guide Settings.

prl

Quote from: Paul55 on December 06, 2016, 05:57:55 PM
... Obviously not an IceTV issue for N & N. ...
"Obviously" is a word I'd only ever use cautiously about the Beyonwiz T series. ;)

Whether the Now/Next data comes from the FTA Now/Next data stream or from the EPG is controlled by MENU>Setup>TV>SPG settings>Show EIT now/next in infobar. It defaults to disabled, which means that if IceTV is used for the EPG, then the Now/Next data comes from the (IceTV) EPG.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Tezza007

Quote from: charlotte on December 06, 2016, 05:17:24 PM
I'm in Perth.
Later: After two hours I now have timers for a weeks time, but not this week.
Also in Perth. Have ABC HD timers as from Wednesday next week only
I'll add this weeks manually

raymondjpg

I just received an email from IceTV "ABC HD is now live, action required". The body of the email starts off with "This will affect your upcoming recordings previously set with the ABC..."

I'm not sure how or why. All the devices I have rescanned, and I count 2 PVRs, 2 instances of TV Scheduler Pro, WinTV 7 and MediaPortal have recorded an additional channel ABC HD which prior to going live would have had no recordings set. ABC remains unaffected and I don't think ABC News 24 has shifted LCNs so any recordings that may have been set on this channel should be unaffected.

While I appreciate the precautionary advice that IceTV has delivered I'm not sure what, if any, action is needed by me other than a rescan and possibly some re-setting of timers on ABC HD in the forlorn hope that they may possibly constitute more than an upscaled version of what is on the ABC.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

Not sure if this is related to the introduction of ABC HD; now both my T2 and one of my SKIPPA are showing that no timers have been set (looking at MyAccount). My other SKIPPA which is on a different account is working OK. No issues with the Toppys.

Update: while there are errors showing for all timers on the T2 that has been working, all timers seem to be in place on the unit. Further update: Some timers are missing from this T2.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

prl

Quote from: raymondjpg on December 06, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
... and possibly some re-setting of timers on ABC HD in the forlorn hope that they may possibly constitute more than an upscaled version of what is on the ABC.

What's unclear about the ABC's statement on the question ;)
QuoteWill everything on the channel be in HD?

All materials delivered to the ABC in HD will be broadcast in HD.

All clear now?

Seriously, though, it would be great if the IceGuide said what programs on HD channels are sourced in HD, though I suspect that would be too hard to do.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

raymondjpg

Quote from: prl on December 07, 2016, 11:24:26 AM
Quote from: raymondjpg on December 06, 2016, 10:12:44 PM
... and possibly some re-setting of timers on ABC HD in the forlorn hope that they may possibly constitute more than an upscaled version of what is on the ABC.

What's unclear about the ABC's statement on the question ;)
Nothing. What is unclear is how much of this material will be what some refer to as "native" HD.

Quote from: prl on December 07, 2016, 11:24:26 AM
QuoteWill everything on the channel be in HD?

All materials delivered to the ABC in HD will be broadcast in HD.

All clear now?
Er, no.

Quote from: prl on December 07, 2016, 11:24:26 AMSeriously, though, it would be great if the IceGuide said what programs on HD channels are sourced in HD, though I suspect that would be too hard to do.
So aren't you saying that some HD material broadcast on ABC might not be sourced in HD?

Really!
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

No way of knowing which content the ABC has that is in full HD (1080p). Old content is unlikely to be in any version of HD unless it has been remastered. Other content will be up-scaled during transmission. It will also be converted from MPEG 2 to MPEG 4 on-the-fly. The same happens with 10 HD, 9 HD and 7 HD. SBS HD is still transmitting in MPEG 2 so on-th-fly conversion will not be necessary, although there may be on-the-fly up-scaling.

Not sure where this gets us ....

Ian
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on December 07, 2016, 12:54:22 PMNot sure where this gets us ....
Nearly, but not quite, back to square one I suspect. Given the ABC's history with HD broadcasts (IIRC "Rain Shadow" was about the only true HD material broadcast on ABC HD before they moved to squander their HD channel on ABC News 24) I'm not so confident that we will see much more full HD, as opposed to upscaled SD, material from the ABC in the short term. Having said that things have moved on since the ABC last broadcast HD and the technology alone should predicate more true HD than before. How much, and of what type or category, remains to be seen.

I'm not picking on the ABC in particular, but as the argument went back in the day when ABC first broadcast in HD, for our National Broadcaster to be showing mainly upscaled SD on their HD channel it was pretty pathetic.

Never mind all that, the New Year's fireworks broadcast in HD should be enough to silence anyone with the timerity to be critical of Aunty. If anyone can persuade them to broadcast the accompanying bangs and whoops in surround sound I'll shout them a bottle of scotch.

prl

None of that was helped by the fact that while the commercial networks were required to broadcast a minimum amount of HD source material per year, neither the ABC nor SBS had to meet that requirement.

The requirement was laughably small (1040 hours/year, or just under 3 hours/day). IIRC that was often helped along in the early days by broadcasting the commercials' "morning shows" using HD cameras. The ACMA hasn't issued a HDTV quota compliance report since 2013.

But it's still interesting that no-one seems to be interested in advertising which programs are from HD source material. The only times I recall it being done was when SBS started using HD cameras for their Tour de France coverage.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

christas

This change has prompted me to hide some channels I don't use. I have a Beyonwiz DP-P2 and have deleted various channels from the guide by going to 'list' and deleting them. However channels 2 and 21 are deleted but re-appear. I have 'disabled' ABC on the Ice-tv website and have LCN's of 20 22 23 24 selected for the various channels. Any idea of how to get rid of LCN 2 and 21?