Nine switch from Win to Southern Cross Austereo

Started by prl, June 23, 2016, 11:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

Nine has started advertising the switch of its network services from Win to Southern Cross Austereo. The switch date is July 1. There's a web page for the switch at http://www.nineon5.com.au/.

Southern Cross won't carry 9HD and 9Life initially, because they need new gear to be installed. From the NineOn5 FAQ: "9HD will be broadcast by mid-August at the latest"; "SCA is expecting that it will be broadcasting 9Life by mid-August."
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Dave at IceTV

Peter, do you know will happen with the WIN and SCA triples?
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 23, 2016, 01:00:57 PM
Peter, do you know will happen with the WIN and SCA triples?

The first thing I'll know will be when I do a scan on 1 July, unfortunately.

According to this press release on 23 May, the switchover of Ten's services to Win will also be on 1 July. However, while I've seen ads for the Nine changeover in the Canberra Times and in ads on Nine, I haven't seen anything about it for the Ten switchover.

The Ten press release gives a marketing contact and a media contact, but, of course, no technical contact.

Presumably Ten will be taking over the old Win LCN range, as Nine is taking over the old SC Ten LCN range.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

vader1111

SCA have announced today that they will be carrying 9HD from 1st July.  9Life will have to wait until mid-August though.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/06/9hd-confirmed-for-july-1st-launch-on-southern-cross.html

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: prl on June 23, 2016, 01:22:41 PM
Presumably Ten will be taking over the old Win LCN range, as Nine is taking over the old SC Ten LCN range.

Or to put that a different way, SCA and WIN will keep their current LCN ranges.

Still not sure what is happening with Nine programming in TAS. It is not a simple "WIN and SCA are swapping Nine and Ten" in TAS as TDT currently broadcast Ten's channels in TAS and SCA will continue to broadcast Seven's channels.

WIN say they will be broadcasting Ten's channels in TAS. So what happens to Nine's programs in TAS...  and what will TDT be broadcasting?

SCA could end up with Nine and Ten affiliations. There are existing multi-affiliations already.

- WIN currently broadcasts Seven's, Nine's and Ten's channels in the 'Griffith / Murrumbidgee Irrigation Area' region.
- Southern Cross currently broadcasts Seven's, Nine's and Ten's channels in the Spencer Gulf, Eyre Peninsula  (Port Augusta) and Broken Hill regions.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

Aren't there oddball affiliation arrangements in WA and NT, too?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: prl on June 23, 2016, 05:10:17 PM
Aren't there oddball affiliation arrangements in WA and NT, too?

Not that I can see but QLD's Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast are odd.

Sunshine Coast has 2 sets of Seven's channels both from Seven(!) but on different LCNs (in ranges with 6s and 7s).

Gold Coast has 2 of everything. It has retransmitted Brisbane channels on Brisbane LCNs and local Gold Coast channels on 'regional' LCNs.

Ten seems to like small single-region broadcasters like MDT in Mildura, TDT in TAS, DDT in Darwin and West TV in Regional WA and CDT in the central Oz. Prime has remote affiliates like GWN in WA and Imparja in VAST supported areas. Then there's 2 indigenous broadcasters; Goolari and Larrakia in central Oz, that have their own content.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Mac37

The Sunshine Coast's sets of sevens are broadcast from the same place (The beautifully named "Bald Knob", somewhere up near Maleny), but they are different transmitters.
The 6's are called Sunshine Coast North and deliver the true Regional news progs etc.
The 7's are called Sunshine Coast South, and re-transmit Brisbane's 7's. This covers from about where we are in Sippy Downs (near Buderim and Maroochydore), to the South, covering a lot of Brisbane's Northern Suburbs, as well as Caloundra and other southern parts of the Sunshine Coast.
There is the complication of further north in Nambour, which has a transmitter (Dulong, I think), cuz Nambour is a difficult area for reception (in a valley, sort of).
Mac
Beyonwiz T2 X 2
IceTV Interactive EPG - HDMI to   Linden TV 65

prl

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 23, 2016, 04:42:48 PM
Quote from: prl on June 23, 2016, 01:22:41 PM

Or to put that a different way, SCA and WIN will keep their current LCN ranges.

There was an article about the switch in today's Canberra Sunday Times with more detail than has previously been available (not that that's saying much). The print version of the article lists the new LCN assignments, but the online version doesn't.  ::)

The new LCNs are:
5 Nine
50 9HD
52 9Gem
53 9GO!
54 9Life
56 Aspire

8 WIN (Ten)
80 WIN HD
81 One
82 Eleven
84 TVSN
85 GOLD
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

Thanks Peter.

The online version that you linked to does include the new LCNs for each channel (in the text). I assume the print version must have also had a nice easy to understand table or list of the new LCN/Channel assignments.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

prl

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on June 28, 2016, 01:14:26 PM
Thanks Peter.

The online version that you linked to does include the new LCNs for each channel (in the text). I assume the print version must have also had a nice easy to understand table or list of the new LCN/Channel assignments.
No problem.

Yes for the table in the print version. I thought the text version of the LCN assignments looked a bit muddled, though I didn't check it against the table.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Andomoose55

When will Tassie have the epg guide for wintv which is still missing and also TDT seems we'll get channel Nine now but no info for both.

timaa

Worth noting that I needed to clear service list before rescanning channels on Topfield 2400, otherwise the LCN's get all messed up.

prl

It will may also be necessary to do a manual scan with "clear services" on Beyonwiz T series boxes. I'll post more when I've tested it.

In the short term, channel picons on the T series will also be messed up in affected areas.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use