ICE causes rebooting on 7100+ recorders beginning today

Started by mikeathome, March 01, 2016, 01:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeathome

If, like me, you discovered today that your 7100+ recorder(s) reboot every 30 seconds and do not respond correctly always to the remote, it seems to be caused by an issue with ICE as the problem goes away if ICE is disabled. Nobody answered the phone at ICE tech support so I don't know whether or not the issue has already been reported.

IanL-S

I checked both my 7100+ and nether has reported a reboot since 29-2-16, 16:00.

What version firmware are you using? Are you in a daylight saving region?

What service was it on when the reboot happens, or does it happen with all services?

Are you running any TAPs.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Dave at IceTV

The 7100+, 2400 and 2460 PVRs will reboot with IceTV enabled if there are conflicting channels or conflicting/duplicate LCNs set in your IceTV account.

As you have each channel set to one LCN and all correctly set this is not the problem in your case.

Another possible cause is incorrectly set channel mapping. The channel map settings can be accessed either; from one of the coloured buttons in the "Menu > Settings >IceTV" menu, or while viewing live TV press OK then press the Yellow button.

My 7100 added Ten HD as a radio channel! Maybe the 7100+ does the same thing?

Otherwise it will be that the 7100+ can handle the amount of guide data from IceTV when 23 TV channels are enabled in the IceTV account. It is a known issue that Topfield PVRs don't have enough memory or don't allocate enough memory for processing the IceTV EPG and schedules. The solution for this is to disable any channels that you don't watch or don't need in your account.
https://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi

Once the Topfield PVR has processed and displayed the guide for the enabled channels you may be able to re-enable the channels that you disabled (if you want to).

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on March 01, 2016, 04:56:08 PM
Otherwise it will be that the 7100+ can handle the amount of guide data from IceTV when 23 TV channels are enabled in the IceTV account.

Interesting that Ian has the same 23 channels enabled but has 28 LCNs set - while Mike only has 1 LCN per channel set.

The difference could be firmware version, or region (Mike and Ian are in different capitol cities). Nobody else in Mike's city has reported the rebooting issue with a Topfield (of any model).

Mike, if you haven't already please clear the service list and search the channels again.
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/54289800-How-do-update-to-the-new-channels-on-my-Topfield

Or better yet, do a factory reset.
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20177028-How-to-do-a-factory-reset
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

IanL-S

As the IceTV firmware module is, as far as I am aware, identical on the 7100+, 2400/2460 and the 5300/5310/5320 I would expect the same vulnerability. Another possibility, that I mentioned on the Topfield forum, is my system ID of is 32030? If you the Toppys have have system ID 32031 there could be differences which explain why I am not having problems.

I am running firmware December 2013 (1.10.00) whereas those with the issue are running Feb 20 2012 and Sept 26 2012 firmware. My recollection is that both 2012 firmware run the current version of the Topfield IceTV module.

There are numerous reports of LCNs getting scrambled, even multiple entries, when uses have done service scan for the introduction of 7flix and/or 10HD. Also for those regions that now getting the equivalent of 9HD. This issues has been noted with more recent firmware than that being considered here. Although I have a dim recollection that I had problems with one of my 7100+ units.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

mikeathome

Both of mine are 32030's. My rebooting problem was gone when I re-enabled ICE TV later this afternoon so I guessed that Dave had fixed whatever was causing it. Thus far I haven't altered any settings on my recorders.

DaveD

I have two 2400 machines.  One in the bedroom and one in the lounge room
This rebooting started this morning (Sunday 6th March).

After trial and error I also narrowed it down to IceTV access.
Once I turned the IceTV access off they both stopped rebooting.

I tentatively turned the IceTV access back on later in the afternoon and it seems OK at the moment.
I have also removed duplicate programs from the tuner and have set the IceTV account LCNs to specific values rather than 'all'

I have the Aug 4 2014 firmware in both machines (which occasionally reboot when I insert/remove a USB stick).
The System Id = 32020
Loader version = v1.03
Device version = v1.0.1
App version = TF-BCPF 2.02.00

I will be on holidays for 5 weeks starting Wednesday and a friend will be looking after my place.
I hope they don't encounter any issues while I am away.

Dazza-2460-7100

Well here we go again, as at yesterday morning 6/03/2016, YEP both my 2460 and 7100 plus, rebooting soon after power up, (loading ICE guide), so went and disabled ABC2 in ICETV settings, saved settings, and turned on both toppys (Guess what, ALL GOOD.) had this same problem with old 7100 late last year, same fix, must be something in ABC2 again, can you guys have a look and see if you can find it (may be a character again in the guide that toppys don't like)
Please advise ???

DaveD

The rebooting has started again today (Tues Mar 8th).
I followed Dazza's solution and disabled ABC2 which 'seems' to have rectified it.
But I will want to record some shows from ABC2 while I am away for 5 weeks so 'not good'

Is anyone from IceTV looking at this?.
There has been no respone here after Dazza's entry regarding 'bad' characters being transmitted to the PVRs.

map856

I too have been experiencing random and continuous rebooting on my 2460 since about the start of this Month. I can confirm that disabling IceTV stops the problem. I have since tried Dazza's workaround of disabling ABC2 and so far this also seems to work. I can only reach the same conclusion that something about ABC2 is causing IceTV to generate random restarts on my machine. Hope IceTV can get to the bottom of this and provide a fix soon.

mikeathome

This problem, which is happening again to me now, started on March 1. For the 4 years or so that I have been using ICE on my 2 7100+ devices there was no problem. As I changed nothing on my devices on 1st Mar (other than the auto date) the issue is being caused by some change made at the ICE end. I'm wondering why things can't just be set back to the working condition that we had in the past?

I don't have the capacity (or interest) to be checking my PVRs continuously to see whether or not the problem has re-emerged so the only solution for me is to leave ICE disabled and to set my recordings manually. This leaves me with little incentive to continue my subscription - this would be sad after 12 or so years.

Dave at IceTV

Can some try it now and confirm if it is fixed or not?

You should clear the guide with the red button while in the IceTV menu on the Topfield to ensure it is getting the latest data.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

IanL-S

Synology NAS

Dave at IceTV

cheers

Dave
Customer Service

vincent

Okay I nearly purchased a new machine today as it keep rebooting. I still have the issues as of 7:30PM Perth time. I have disabled ABC2 on my ICE account menu for channels and am trying to get the top to stop rebooting. I got into the menu for ICE and pressed the red button and then restarted the toppy.

Am I meant to turn ABC2 back on, I can forgo the data if that stops this issue as it driving me mad and I am missing shows.

I will say I am happy on certain days to try and play with different settings.