IceTV Scheduled Maintenance tonight (22/10/2015)

Started by Daniel Hall at IceTV, October 22, 2015, 05:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Tonight IceTV will be performing scheduled maintenance on it's servers between Midnight tonight (22/10/2015) and 6am tomorrow (23/10/2015). We will be moving them to new hardware which will also involve changes to our DNS setup.

What does this mean to me?

During the maintenance window the IceTV service will be unavailable. Also as this includes a DNS change depending on your Internet Service Provider it might take between 24 to 48 hours to come back.

Is there anything I should do to prepare for this?

Any last minute scheduling of shows should be performed this evening before midnight for the next 24 to 48 hours if you have not already.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The server maintenance has been completed successfully. Final testing is still occurring but everything is back online.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

IanL-S

HI Daniel

My SKIPPA is making contact with the IceTV servers as expected. However, none of my Toppys have done so since 12.14 am. I have tried rebooting them but so far no success. It may well be a peculiarity of the Topfield firmware that is causing this to happen (or not happen may be a better way to say it).

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

daylesfordpep

Hi
Since your update my units now say my account details are invalid.  Is this normal or is it caused by something else?
Cheers

prl

Quote from: daylesfordpep on October 23, 2015, 09:30:54 AM
... Since your update my units now say my account details are invalid.  Is this normal or is it caused by something else? ...

It might help to say what kind of "units" they are.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Our Beyonwiz T4 is fetching normally from IceTV.

However, both the EPG fetch and the timer update is failing on our Beyonwiz DP-Lite and DP-P2. When I check the IceTV connection with the IceTV Check User Info on the two DP series boxes, it returns "Authentication Failed". My "My Account" page shows the "Last EPG fetch" for the DP devices was at 11:23pm last night, 22 Oct.

I tried re-entering my IceTV password on the DP-Lite. That didn't help.

Other network functions on the devices, like NTP time update, are working normally.

Is there anything else I should check or try doing?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Paul55

None of my PVRs is able to connect to IceTV since last night.
Beyonwizes give same message as prl and Toppy says invalid account.
ISP is Bigpond if that matters.
Didn't this happen last time there was a server change?

daylesfordpep

The units are both Topfields.  I consider it as irrelevant as the issue is that my login details are no longer accepted.

prl

I think it's relevant because it seems that some devices are working after the upgrade and some aren't.

It's beginning to look like the difference is that devices using the old servers are getting these authentication errors, and devices like the Beyonwiz T series that use the new servers are working.

Knowing what the device is helps build a picture of the problem.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

The type of device is relevant. New devices use a different IceTV API; thus the SKIPPA and Beyonwiz T3 and T4 (possibly all the T-series) are working OK.

All Topfield PVRs, even the new TRF-5300 series use the old IceTV API.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

JPP

OK, my experience:

Windows MCE says 'Not Authorised" - not fetching

Both 2400 Toppies - not fetching

PC Widget works OK - fetching

iPhone and iPad working OK - fetching
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

I called IceTV support. The 1300 number gave me "The number you have dialed is not in service". The 02 number put me through to voicemail. I left a message and my phone number.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

Different PVR brands and models each use a different server address to connect to IceTV. The Topfield PVRs use one address, the old Beyonwiz PVRs use another address, the new T series Beyonwiz PVRs use a different server address the old Beyonwiz PVRs, etc. So each recorder brand or model type's specific server address needs to be updated in all DNS servers worldwide (or at least Australia wide).

It can take 24 to 48 hours for the changed IP addresses to filter through the Internet to all DNS servers worldwide.

As per the scheduled maintenance message at the top of this thread:

• We will be moving them to new hardware which will also involve changes to our DNS setup.

What does this mean to me?

During the maintenance window the IceTV service will be unavailable. Also as this includes a DNS change depending on your Internet Service Provider it might take between 24 to 48 hours to come back.

There are 2 stages to moving to new servers:

• Service completely offline temporarily for everyone (this stage finished at 6am today, Friday).
  • Service alive but all ISP's DNS servers (Internet address books) take up to 48 hours to learn of the new addresses (this stage started at 6am and will gradually affect less and less people until the whole Internet has learnt of the new addresses, by some time on Sunday).
It takes 24 to 48 hours for a changed IP address to filter through the Internet to all DNS servers worldwide. Some ISPs take longer than others to update their "address book".

What is a DNS Server?

A DNS server is like a phone book for web servers. Every ISP has their own DNS servers and they have many different DNS servers in each city. The numerical IP address of the IceTV servers has now changed, and many ISP's DNS servers are still pointing to the old server addresses. As each server learns of the new address, it later passes that new address onto the next server and within 48 hours they will have all been updated.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Paul55

Thanks for the detailed explanation Dave. We probably should have read the message more thoroughly.

furbies

I've got a Topfield 7100 & EyeTV 3.6.8, and am unable able to connect to the IceGuide Server.

The TopField gives me the error: Invalid User Account.
The EyeTV simply reports: Update failed due to a server error.

Is this likely to just be a DNS issue ?

I pointed my ADSL modem's DNS entries to Google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, but that didn't fix the lack of connectivity.