IceTV Resurrected

Started by Dave at IceTV, October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

This is great news!  :) :) :) :)

Max of 5 devices should be enough for most users. (But not me! :-[) I am really glad that the SKIPPA will not end up being a useless brick.

Ian

I suppose if you can afford to have more than 5 IceTV enabled recording devices you can afford 2 subscriptions. ;D ;D
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Paul55

Quote from: peteru on October 16, 2015, 12:36:44 PM
Is the old management still involved? Are we looking at a phoenix here? A case where the company has gone down in flames, thus shedding any debts and obligations and then from the ashes rises the same company, doing the same business?

What is the story here?

Questions to be answered later.
C'mon Peter, don't be a wet blanket. A lot of IceTV users are happy about this reprieve - let us enjoy the moment.

Fester

Dave, thinking this was the end, I have deleted my account. Is it possible to resurrect it or do I have to now open up a new account?

jas55

HI
will the skippa get future updates after 1.1.10604?
will the adskip still work?
will the skippa ever get a FTA guide?
thanks.

snuke

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: Vortical on October 16, 2015, 12:07:45 PM
What do current users need to do at the moment with the new monthly payment conditions?

Quote from: GlenR on October 16, 2015, 12:16:24 PM
Can you tell us how soon "soon" is? How long do we have before we have to re-sign up or whatever?

Quote from: SkippaBeat on October 16, 2015, 12:12:33 PM
I haven't looked but assume we will be told where/how to re-subscribe?

All existing subscriptions will be honoured until the new payment gateway is operational. We will notify all customers what to do before their subscription expires.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Eaglehawk

Heideho

Thank you! This is the best news I've received in a long time.
Brisbane

marcusstringer

Marcus
Twitter: @MarcusStringer
www.midlandtypsetters.com.au

IanL-S

Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PM

I suspect this will depend on all sorts of considerations. There could be murky copyright issues as much of the firmware was developed by UEC Altech. I suspect bug fixing may not be a big issue, but adding new features may be problematic. The critical thing will be the ability to compile the firmware into an installation file.

Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PMwill the adskip still work?

Logically it should still work and presumably continue working. The current limitations are the requirement to validate the use regularly by logging into the IceTV server. One thing is almost certain, there will be no updates to the ad-skipping part of the firmware.

Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PMwill the skippa ever get a FTA guide?

This again is likely to be complicated by licence and copyright issues. If UEC Altech are able to sell the units that have not yet been sold (a very murky issue when it comes to add-skipping part of the firmware), they would probably include a firmware switch that allows the user to use either FTA EPG or IceTV.

As always, this is merely speculation ... I know no more than anyone else about this.

Ian

IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

danauld

Congrats Dave and the team, here is to hoping that the new IceTV can continue to be a viable service!

Happy_aussie

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 16, 2015, 11:59:20 AM

Dave... back at IceTV

Congratulations. 

Big sigh of relied from me.  (As I am sure you guys as well.)

Skippa brickowner ...

srto2

Well, bugger me.  :)  I came along today to wish Dave farewell and to mourn the loss of IceTV (since August 2005 for me) after doing as much as possible to get my DP-P1 working as well as possible sans IceTV  :(

Nothing in life ever stays the same and the loss of IceTV was just another hoop to jump through...

So I bit the bullet yesterday and ordered a Beyonwiz T4...

I can handle a monthly subscription.  However, like many others, I'd like to get some idea of the viability of any ongoing service, especially after making up my mind to manage without IceTV.

I refrained from getting involved in any SKIPPA discussions;  I would only have added a dose of negativity - I always imagined that it would be killed by the commercial networks - remembering the NINE vs IceTV battle.  But I didn't think that the SKIPPA would kill IceTV...

Cheers Dave,
Rob

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: IanL-S on October 16, 2015, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PM

I suspect this will depend on all sorts of considerations. There could be murky copyright issues as much of the firmware was developed by UEC Altech. I suspect bug fixing may not be a big issue, but adding new features may be problematic. The critical thing will be the ability to compile the firmware into an installation file.

Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PMwill the adskip still work?

Logically it should still work and presumably continue working. The current limitations are the requirement to validate the use regularly by logging into the IceTV server. One thing is almost certain, there will be no updates to the ad-skipping part of the firmware.

Quote from: jas55 on October 16, 2015, 01:18:49 PMwill the skippa ever get a FTA guide?

This again is likely to be complicated by licence and copyright issues. If UEC Altech are able to sell the units that have not yet been sold (a very murky issue when it comes to add-skipping part of the firmware), they would probably include a firmware switch that allows the user to use either FTA EPG or IceTV.

As always, this is merely speculation ... I know no more than anyone else about this.

Ian

Ian answered these questions very well. At this point in time I really don't know and would only be speculating.

One correction though, I believe the AutoSkip can be updated without needing a firmware update. But that may only be able to tweak parameters, whereas any major changes to the way it works could require a firmware update.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

ozmosys

Dave (IceTV)

Can you please advise when the Skippa firmware update will be released? You mentioned in another post that we should expect it last Monday. Given that the IceTV guides are being reinstated I am very keep to have Skippa start doing what I purchased it for, .. to skip ads.

Cheers

Steve