Started by emmsee, October 07, 2015, 05:58:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celicasx

Quote from: prl on October 08, 2015, 09:44:03 PM
Quote from: Pursya on October 08, 2015, 08:55:37 PM
So which is the best model?
In terms of reliability.
The $100 off deal is only for T2s.
Totally stealing Peturu's post from the BW Forum from July 2015.  If you're interested in the T2;
"There is also the T2, which has the same amount of RAM and flash as T3, but only two tuners. In terms of speed, the T2 is faster than T3, but slower than T4.

The T2 can do full 1080p, like the T4, but no PIP at all. The T2 has no front panel display at all, only a power LED.

The T2 is a lot smaller than T3 or T4 (or any DP-series) and only takes 2.5" (laptop size) HDDs. The T2 has no fans and if you chose an SSD variant, you can have a completely silent box.

In my opinion the T2 is actually a very, very nice box. If you have multiple screens in the house, I would probably recommend getting a few T2. The way the T-series can network and share content, you would end up with a very convenient and flexible solution.

My setup has T2, T3 and T4, with various sized drives and different sets of autotimers on each box. Playing content from any T-series on any other T-series is very easy as is playing files from the NAS. The DP-series PVRs I had previously are all decommissioned now and no one is missing them at all after taking about a month or so to adjust to the different user interface on the T-series.

The T-series are pretty good media players too. So far they can handle more media files than any other media player box I've ever owned."

The T2 normally is only a dual tuner, however it looks like it currently comes with an additional USB tuner to make it a 3 tuner machine, capable of recording 8 channels across 3 stations.

Damn, I'm talking myself into this.....

csutak40

Quote from: prl on October 08, 2015, 12:53:19 PM

But they require you to return the PVR with its HDD.

Well, it just so happens I have a spare Toppy 5K (besides the one I'm still using), which I bought on eBay for spare parts.  It is in perfect working order (with the original HDD) so would be happy to sacrifice that for the purpose.  Wonder if they would accept that? :)
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

EdQld

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 08, 2015, 11:22:12 PM
Quote from: EdQld on October 08, 2015, 10:55:21 PM
Dave, if the plug is pulled, is there any chance of a f/w upgrade that will give the Skippa access to FTA EPG?

That is the plan. We all own Skippas ourselves and don't want them to become doorstoppers either.

Thanks for the positive reply Dave

I  feel sorry for all the employees at IceTV, must be very stressful, facing an uncertain future

csutak40

Quote from: gibster on October 09, 2015, 12:46:44 AM
Dave, if the plug is pulled, is there any chance of a f/w upgrade that will give the Skippa access to FTA EPG?

That is the plan. We all own Skippas ourselves and don't want them to become doorstoppers either.

Good luck to you Dave. Hope things work out OK, for you the rest of the crew there, and for IceTV.

gib

+100  And we do appreciate you answering questions here
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

prl

Quote from: csutak40 on October 09, 2015, 01:10:19 AM
Well, it just so happens I have a spare Toppy 5K (besides the one I'm still using), which I bought on eBay for spare parts.  It is in perfect working order (with the original HDD) so would be happy to sacrifice that for the purpose.  Wonder if they would accept that? :)

The ad for the trade-in deal says: "All brands all models accepted: Beyonwiz, Humax, Topfield, ..." so I can't see why they wouldn't accept it.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Has anyone who doesn't have an outstanding pre-paid SKIPPA order received the letter from IceTV's Administrators inviting them to register as unsecured creditors?

Why don't subscribers appear to be being treated as unsecured creditors? I have pre-paid IceTV for services out to 2020.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

IanL-S

Peter, I am in much the same position as you; only prepaid to some time in 2019.

For me the it was less than $150 so it is not worth the effort of 'registering' as a creditor.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

prl

Quote from: IanL-S on October 09, 2015, 11:28:51 AM
Peter, I am in much the same position as you; only prepaid to some time in 2019.

For me the it was less than $150 so it is not worth the effort of 'registering' as a creditor.
I'm more curious about the process than any prospect of actually getting a refund (or seeing more than a fraction of my pre-paid service being fulfilled), no matter what happens from here.

I'm already planning to start setting up AutoTimers on our T4, and not enjoying the prospect.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Pursya

The IceTV service is still being fulfilled, so you cannot be an unsecured creditor until the service stops.
The Skippa unfulfilled orders have been told the order will never be fulfilled. Even if a new owner for the business is found.
So they are unsecured creditors already.

FMB

Quote from: prl on October 09, 2015, 10:56:42 AM
Has anyone who doesn't have an outstanding pre-paid SKIPPA order received the letter from IceTV's Administrators inviting them to register as unsecured creditors?

Why don't subscribers appear to be being treated as unsecured creditors? I have pre-paid IceTV for services out to 2020.

I wouldn't recommend registering as an unsecured creditor. You just end up getting bombarded with meeting minutes and reports all written in 'accountant'. It just makes for depressing reading when you realise how bad the situation is, how much money the insolvency firm is making (at your expense) and how unlikely it is you'll ever see any money.

I made that mistake a couple of times when clients went belly up. Now I just write off the debt and move on.

Dave at IceTV

Good luck to you Dave. Hope things work out OK, for you the rest of the crew there, and for IceTV.

gib

Thanks gib. We're all hoping for a good outcome.

Personally I'm thinking more about those still waiting to receive their Skippas or replacements for DOA Skippas.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

Coopsp

Hey Dave, I too hope you all keep your job and they find someone to buy the company. Because besides the Skippa issues you guys do do a great job.

lespato

Hi Dave

I am very sorry to hear about the situation at IceTV.I don't post on the forum very often but I do read the forums regularly. I have been a member for several years now and found you and your colleagues very courteous and helpful. The guide service is excellent. Hope everything can be resolved and all your jobs are safe and IceTV can continue their great service.
Lcp

IanL-S

Quote from: FMB on October 09, 2015, 12:36:02 PM
I wouldn't recommend registering as an unsecured creditor. You just end up getting bombarded with meeting minutes and reports all written in 'accountant'.

Hmm, written in 'accountant', I may be able to understand it. But I have been 'out of the game' for over seven years now so the jargon may have changed and my 'accountant speak' may have deteriorated. I agree about the likelihood of getting money back if it comes to liquidation. That said, I did get some money back on a liquidation once - but that was about 25 years ago.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

gibster

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on October 09, 2015, 12:49:12 PM

gib

Thanks gib. We're all hoping for a good outcome.

Personally I'm thinking more about those still waiting to receive their Skippas or replacements for DOA Skippas.

Yep, I understand. I'm one of those who was looking forward to this week when my Skippa shipping notice was supposed to go out.. LOL

Well, live and learn I guess. I've been a crowd funder for quite a few things on Kickstart and never lost out yet. I was just looking forward to a PVR that actually worked as advertised in conjunction with IceTV guide service.  I must say my Windows Media Center PC has been pretty reliable for the most part. So guess maybe I'll invest in some new harddrives and stick with it. I've got a quad tuner in it and it's been pretty amazing.

So here's hoping that IceTV Guide service does stick around.

Cheers

gib
BeyonWiz V2