Tofield Loader Version 2 available now

Started by pvogel, May 23, 2005, 06:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvogel

We have now released a much improved version (V 2.0) of the iceGuide for Topfield software which includes:
     * Automatic padding to recording times (set the extra time for recordings in the Topfield's ice menu)
     * Easy channel - to - guide mapping
     * Automatic scheduling of iceguide fetches and uploads
     * Significantly increased guide loading speed that does not degrade remote control responsiveness
     * Automatic notification of new Topfield Application Program (TAP) (you choose whether to install them or not)

Our V2.0 software package installs a new PC loader and the loader in turn gets the latest TAP from our server and installs it on the Toppy.

This software will only work with Topfield's May 10 2005 (or later) firmware (now available from the IceTV website, click on Tech Support, then HowTo's).

Complete howto document is at http://www.icetv.com.au/ts_howto.php

I'd be pleased to hear your evaluation of this new software via this forum.

Peter Vogel

Mantorok

I've installed the new version of the IceGuide as well as the Topfield firmware but I don't seem to be able to get the scheduled Upload feature to work.  I've tried leaving the IceGuide4Topfield.exe open on thr desktop as well as minimised in the system tray but the upload never occurs at the specified time.  

Should I see any visible sign on the screen that indicates the scheduled upload is in progress?  BTW, I'm running this on a Toshiba laptop using Windows XP SP2.

The good news is that the new IceGuide TAP no longer causes the unit to respond slowly anymore.

Russell at IceTV

QuoteI've installed the new version of the IceGuide as well as the Topfield firmware but I don't seem to be able to get the scheduled Upload feature to work.  I've tried leaving the IceGuide4Topfield.exe open on thr desktop as well as minimised in the system tray but the upload never occurs at the specified time.   Should I see any visible sign on the screen that indicates the scheduled upload is in progress?
Hi there,

At the moment, it's best to just close IceGuide4Topfield.exe completely, and then at the scheduled time, another copy will be launched by Windows.  The reason for this is that if you leave the first copy running, it locks the USB connection to the Topfield, and then the second copy will usually show an error message.  It's strange though that you don't seem to be seeing a second copy at all.

You might try checking to be sure the scheduled task is setup ok.  In Windows, go to Start / Settings / Control Panel, and then double click the Scheduled Tasks icon.  There should be an entry there for IceGuide4Topfield, and if you double-click it, you can check the settings and make sure everything's setup correctly.  To test it, you can also right-click on the icon and select Run, to make sure it's ok.  If you don't find an entry at all, you can use the IceGuide4Topfield program to set it up again.

We're working on a solution to this USB locking problem, so hopefully the next version will take care of the issue and you won't have to close the first copy of the program.

Let us know if you find any problems...

Russell

Mantorok

Thanks Russell,

I found the problem.  The scheduled task was set to not activate if it was running on batteries.  A trap for any laptop users out there.

I now have another problem though.  If the laptop is in hibernation mode, then the IceGuide4Topfield task activates its unable to establish a connection to the ICE server.  I'm pretty sure its because the laptop takes a few seconds to get its WiFi connection to my WLAN.  Somehow I need to put in a short delay after Windows wakes up but before the task executes.

If the laptop is not in hiberation mode the scheduled task works fine.

Any ideas how I might solve this one?

pvogel

How would it be if we included a retry after 10 seconds delay in our loader?  Woudl that solve your problem?  If so, I could put t hat on the suggestion slist for a future release.

Peter

Mantorok

Hi Peter,

Including a retry would probably solve the problem.  It may also be good to make the delay configurable incase 10 seconds is not long enough.

I think I may have found a workaround though.  I scheduled another task to run a minute before the IceGuide4Topfield task.  The other task just runs the Windows calculator but its enough to allow Windows to set up the WiFi connection.