New IceTV branded PVR

Started by Mantorok, July 17, 2013, 01:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

Quote from: Paul55 on December 02, 2013, 06:57:08 PM
Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 02:30:17 PM
It is going to be the best PVR in the market. That you can bet on!

Well, that's what I wanted to hear. Despite comments about it being a "media centre" it sounds like the core priority will be recording FTA TV - which is exactly what many of us want.
Since Topfield (via Toppro) has started making poor marketing decisions and Beyonwiz appears to be stagnant at best, the PVR market is a fair way from the heights and potential of a few years back. We need something to raise the bar.
I'm a bit concerned about the "controlling the hardware" comment. Smacks of the TiVo/Apple business model as well as having overtures of "FreeView".  Surely IceTV isn't going down that track!! I hope you only mean having an input into its capabilities.

I am sure IceTV have no intention of adopting the TiVo/Apple approach.

By using its own hardware platform IceTV will avoid the coordination problems when the hardware/firmware is controlled by a third party. Misunderstanding can arise, particularly when the primary language of the manufactures engineers is not English. The impression I get is that Topfield has no interest in releasing any new IceTV enabled devices. Some of the recent Toppys have been poorly targeted: the TRF-2100 would be OK as an entry level PVR if it had network connectivity. The TF-T6000 has so many shortcomings that as a PVR is it not much better than the TRF-2100. The absence of TAP support means that it is nowhere as user friendly as the TRF-7260 or TRF-7170. During early development of the TF-T6000 I told Toppro and Topfield that TAP support was essential and that IceTV capability was desirable.

Toppro does not see user input as a priority. The beta-testing panel has been effectively abandoned and the forum discontinued.

Ian

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Paul

A question whose answer I may have missed. Are there plans for the new Icecube to have user programmability similar to the TAP concept that I love about my Topfield machine?

Thanks, Paul.

IanL-S

Quote from: paulgraham on December 04, 2013, 06:53:58 AM
A question whose answer I may have missed. Are there plans for the new Icecube to have user programmability similar to the TAP concept that I love about my Topfield machine?

Thanks, Paul.

This matter was raised in an earlier post. I cannot recall if there was a definite response. As it will probably be running a customised Android firmware, it should be relatively easy to have something similar to TAPs. (Should they be called icicles?) Most modern PVRs run Android - I understand that even the Topfiled TF-T6000 runs on Android.

From IceTV stance, it is a way of enhancing the user experience, and also provides an opportunity to incorporate outstanding Icicles in the firmware. This has happened once or twice with Topfield units.

Heinz, can you say if there will be Icicle support?

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

Mattcooper

Hi Everyone!
With the recent release of the Xbox One console and the awesome HDMI pass through feature mixed the Kinect voice recognition. I've suddenly come into the market for a high class set top box. 

I'm a huge fan of premium UI and cool features like DLNA! The TiVo romio in the USA looks fantastic but obviously we can't get that here! So my search made me arrive onto the Humex 7510! Which I was almost sold on until I read about IceTv Box! My eyes light up! With excitement!

I can possibly hold off a month or two but is there a approx release date? I'm dying to get my hands on it. I'm sure the Ice TV guys will nail the UI.

Matt

blip

Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 10:33:51 AM
We've changed chipsets and are now realistically looking at July. Given that it's more of a media centre than a PVR, we're also likely to change its name from IceBox to IceCube  8)

csutak40

Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 05:58:56 PM

When we get closer to the release date, we will be looking for beta users  :o
I would love to put my hand up for that!  I have two Toppies, plus use the Windows Media Centre with two tuners.  However, I am in Melbourne, so not sure it will be possible.  :'(
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

csutak40

Quote from: prl on December 03, 2013, 04:47:38 PM

And it's the name of a now no longer available IceTV product that did something completely different. Here's some (non-official) information about the original IceBox.

Well, I know what it is, as I still use one  ;D  And I do hope it will last until the new IceCube comes along.
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

IanL-S

Quote from: csutak40 on December 07, 2013, 10:46:13 PM
Quote from: prl on December 03, 2013, 04:47:38 PM

And it's the name of a now no longer available IceTV product that did something completely different. Here's some (non-official) information about the original IceBox.

Well, I know what it is, as I still use one  ;D  And I do hope it will last until the new IceCube comes along.

I still have both an original IceBox and an IceBox 2. I no longer use them (my 5000 became unstable), but both still work (although I had to get a generic power supply for the IceBox 2 when the original one failed).

Ian
Synology NAS

Mattcooper

Quote from: blip on December 07, 2013, 06:20:58 AM
Quote from: Heinz on December 02, 2013, 10:33:51 AM
We've changed chipsets and are now realistically looking at July. Given that it's more of a media centre than a PVR, we're also likely to change its name from IceBox to IceCube  8)

Thankyou, I might have to buy the Humax after all sigh....

idiesel

Been a long time supporter of IceTV and just checked in to see how things were going with this device. Shame to hear it's suffered a minor setback with chipsets and now postponed to July next year.
I'll keep pushing with my 2 x beyonwizes that have lasted nearly 7 years now, but I am keen to see these things released and hope they live up to expectation!

Mattcooper

Apparently someone leaked some images of the Foxtel IQ3 Box thats due out next year! My GOD the UI is sexc! Its so fresh and modern! I'm even more torn now! Wait for Icebox or IQ3 or buy a Humax.

Andrewt

On Saturday 14th December 2013, IceTV's CEO, Heinz Herrmann, was the weeks special guest on Tech Webcast to chat about IceTV and the future plans the company has in-store. Our IceCube get a lot of mentions in this webcast.

Here is the link to have a listen for yourself: http://www.techwebcast.info/techwebcast-episode-269/

bodogbodog

Quote from: Andrewt on December 16, 2013, 04:07:20 PM
Here is the link to have a listen for yourself: http://www.techwebcast.info/techwebcast-episode-269/

It starts at 42:30 for those who want to skip straight to it
Beyonwiz V2: 4 HDTV Tuners, 16gb SD + unRaid 10TB NAS + IceTV Skippa (for old times sake - make me an offer and it's yours!)
Beyonwiz V2: 2 HDTV Tuners - spare

Mattcooper

Loved listening to what Heinz Herrmann had to say on the podcast. Now all i want for Christmas is an Icebox PVR Sigh!..........

*Try's to create one

Paul

Sorry if I missed it, but I would love a DAB+ digital radio receiver in it. I don't mean the ABC and SBS one currently available, I mean the the ones that copy the AM and FM stations and the extra channels they provide. Not knowing the technology, not sure if this is an easy or hard thing, but I'd like it.

Cheers, Paul.