Topfield Freezes

Started by lmsmith, November 29, 2010, 04:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave at IceTV

IceTV is aware of this issue and looking into it. We cannot reproduce it here in Sydney with our 7100, but I notice that all but one person posting in this thread have Melbourne as their IceTV region. The odd one out has ACT as their IceTV region.

The seven network just added a new infomercial channel on channel 78 so that could be related. I would suggest checking the "IceTV channel mapping" on the Topfield. e.g. While viewing any channel press OK then press the blue button.

Or better yet perform a factory reset and setup the Topfield again. Then once the newly setup Topfield has downloaded and loaded the IceTV guide data resend all recordings for your Topfield 7100 device from "My Account > TV Recorders".

1. Perform Factory Reset on the Topfield from the Installation menu.

2. Setup and enable the network on the Topfield.

3. Setup IceTV on your 7100
http://support.icetv.com.au/entries/20153933#setupiceguide

4. Resend recordings from here:
http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi?op=editSubscription
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

coolbaci

I've enabled IceTV again (no different to what I was doing last night) and the system has been running for about 30 minutes with no freezing to this point. It wouldn't last a few minutes yesterday.

In regards to Dave's post, I always remove all channels which aren't listed within my IceTV config before setting up IceTV on my unit.

Last night I wasn't even able to check/map the channels before the unit froze.

Topblah

Just got off the phone with Dave from support. It looks like a factory reset doesn't fix it, but the problem *may* relate to the fact there's a new channel available (78) as of Dec 3 which may exceed the number of channels the topfield can cope with. We just reduced the number of channels ICETV sends through to my topfield and it seems to have fixed the problem. I'll post again if the freezing comes back, but if not I'll try to gradually reintroduce channels until it freezes again.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 04, 2013, 04:22:13 PM
...but I notice that all but one person posting in this thread have Melbourne as their IceTV region. The odd one out has ACT as their IceTV region.

That's me folks.

Quote from: coolbaci on December 04, 2013, 05:01:10 PM
I've enabled IceTV again (no different to what I was doing last night) and the system has been running for about 30 minutes with no freezing to this point. It wouldn't last a few minutes yesterday.

Same here. No change to my setup, PVR now appears to be functioning normally.

Quote from: Topblah on December 04, 2013, 05:07:39 PM
Just got off the phone with Dave from support. It looks like a factory reset doesn't fix it, but the problem *may* relate to the fact there's a new channel available (78) as of Dec 3 which may exceed the number of channels the topfield can cope with.

Maybe, if one had done a channel scan. But I haven't done one of those for a while, and there is no new channel 78 in the ACT.

Quote from: Dave at IceTV on December 04, 2013, 04:22:13 PM
IceTV is aware of this issue and looking into it. We cannot reproduce it here in Sydney with our 7100

Please keep looking Dave. If disabling IceTV fixed whatever problem presented itself last night and this morning then there is still a strong pointer to IceTV being implicated in some way. I would like to see a plausible reason for what looks like IceTV having frozen, albeit temporarily, this particular model of PVR. If I had to speculate, I'd suggest something in the Ice EPG that has now passed through. But it could happen again.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

jamumu

It's been happening to me too for a couple of days and I'm in Adelaide.
I've reset and started again from scratch but last night it was still crashing.

Today, fingers crossed, it seems OK again.

BTW, your Captcha is damn near IMPOSSIBLE to read!

Topblah

So if a few people's topfields have spontaneously improved looks like the channel fix is a furphy. Does anyone still have freezing issues?

mfl3

I can confirm the factory reset didn't work last night.  It fixed the problem briefly but this morning it was freezing up again.  I was about to try Topblah's suggestion but the channels in my account didn't even have 78, although I know it exists after re-tuning my TV last night. 

I wasn't sure how long the Toppy would take before it froze tonight but surprisingly it hasn't.  I managed to remap my channels via Services > Show IceTV Channels (?) > Map IceTV Channels on the Toppy itself, deleting a few that didn't match but I doubt it had anything to do with its stable performance now.

Topblah, thanks for sharing your solution and contacting IceTV.  It does seem like there's something else that IceTV have done and aren'T sharing with us.

Fingers crossed, all is OK now....and we can resume normal viewing (pun intended).

Markfran

Hi. I am based in Canberra and my 7100 started freezing 3 dec.  I had made no changes to the pvr which has been running relatively trouble free for around four years. I have reverted to the free to air epg and it works fine. Reset to icetv and it freezes within about three minutes of start up. :'( Reset back to air epg and it is now working fine. :)

Cheers

Mark

Topblah

Mine doesn't have channel 78 either, and neither have I done a recent scan, but is don't think that matters from what Dave was saying. Either way I think the channel 78 idea was a guess based on the fact that channel started on the 3rd when the problems started. Since it looks like everyone's problems have ended, we may never know what it was. I just hope it doesn't happen again!

mfl3

I don't know if it's coincidence or not but my programs have been resent.  Last night and this morning, nothing came through to my Toppy after resending from my account.  However, my new programs are now there after remapping my IceTV channels...and it has been stable for 3 hours now.

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: mfl3 on December 04, 2013, 10:14:17 PM
I wasn't sure how long the Toppy would take before it froze tonight but surprisingly it hasn't.  I managed to remap my channels via Services > Show IceTV Channels (?) > Map IceTV Channels on the Toppy itself, deleting a few that didn't match but I doubt it had anything to do with its stable performance now.
Correctly mapping the channels in 'My Account' on the IceTV website is absolutely vital for later model Topfields if in a region that includes extra channels or extra channel numbers (LCNs). Anyone with a region selected that has extra channels should map the correct channels in their account regardless of which recorder they have.

Quote from: mfl3 on December 04, 2013, 10:14:17 PM
Topblah, thanks for sharing your solution and contacting IceTV.  It does seem like there's something else that IceTV have done and aren'T sharing with us.
IceTV did not change anything so there is nothing to tell. Though there could have been something in the guide data that the 7100 didn't like.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

IanStir

Dave from icetv
Attitude adjustment required.

People are having real problems here and are paying for an ice tv subscription they can't use. No change at your end dosen't cut it.

If customers can't use your service what do you think they are  going to do?

When is Ice tv going to provide practicle advice on this issue. I assume it's currently impacting at least all of metro Vic which would be a significant proportion of the customer base.

Support the previous comment that the captcha is unreadable.

Topblah

Mine still seems to be working fine now.