Humax freeze on Wi-Fi problem - Solved

Started by jeffoz1, October 23, 2013, 12:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffoz1

After I bought my Humax, I had same problem as others with it freezing when scrolling recordings or even menu items. This usually occurred straight after I turned it on. I figured that it may have to do with the Hummy still in 'boot' mode when I scrolled and that this was exacerbated with the device taking time to sort out it's IP address on Wi-Fi. I thought that maybe it would help if I set a static IP address for the device and also reserve the same IP address for the device in the router. I know that is redundant but my thinking was that it would shorten the Wi-Fi connection process. It worked. Been running for a month like this without one freeze. Thought I would share.

kbosward

Thanks for this! Ours also used to hang most often when browsing media soon after turning on. I have set fixed IP instead of DHCP and we will see how it goes.

Ken.

kbosward

Since the change to a static IP 5 weeks ago we have had only one freeze, and that was when browsing media immediately after coming out of standby. If we wait a few seconds there is no longer a problem. Thanks jeffoz1 for your tip!

Ken.

jeffoz1

Sorry to bump this but thought I should mention that it is also important to not only 'Manually" fix the IP address of the Humax but also reserve the IP address in the router too. Note the Mac address of the Hummy is what comes up in the router not what is shown in the Hummy menu settings (they are incorrect). I also set "Automatic Power Down" to 'on' and "Power saving in standby" to 'off' so that my wireless connection is not broken. Hope this helps as it saved me a lot of heartache if I had to put in ethernet over power cables.

With the Hummy media server turned on I can also see it on my PC using VLC and on my boy's PS3. Very convenient to have recordings played back throughout the house. I had trouble trying to do this before.

Dave at IceTV

I believe that the MAC address that the Humax displays in it's menu is the LAN port's MAC address, not the WiFi MAC address. So yes, to reserve the WiFi IP address you would need to find the MAC address in the router's connected devices list.

For Windows owners who don't know what a network MAC address is: MAC address is short for Media Access Control address, which is a hardware address that uniquely identifies each node of a network.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service