Audio volume control Humax HDR7500 1TB

Started by firey49, January 11, 2012, 12:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firey49

I have a new Humax and have just connected it up.I dont have any HDMI on my amp or TV so I used the SPDIF digital audio and component video  to the amp for decoding and switching all works fine.
The only problem I have is the volume control on the PVR has no control of level, is this because I am using the digital audio and will the audio control work on HDMI and analogue audio outs?. I really need it to work on digital audio as it is a pain having to switch to amp evry time I want to adjust sound level.
Peter ???

prl

It's generally preferable to have volume control (and mute) in the last active element in the audio output chain, and many audio sources don't have a volume control at all. Does your DVD player have a volume control? Mine doesn't.

One solution to the "too many remotes" problem is to us an activity-based universal remote, like the Logitech Harmony range.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

firey49

Yes the Humax remote has a large feature button marked volume and an on screen display shows the sliding bar increasing decreasing with the buttons just no variation in sound.I havn't tried the other audio outputs
Pete :(

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

swamprat96

I have my Humax going through my amp as Peter suggests. I'm using optical and I never expected the volume on the Humax to control this. That volume control on the remote is essentially only for tv use- ie- when you are using the TV's own speakers through an analogue connection. It won't work on digital.

I am using a Logitech harmony remote where the volume is slaved to the amp and all else to the Humax. It also allows me to turn on the TV, Amp and Humax with one button. It will be the best $90 you ever spent - one remote to do everything- without changing from device to device

One remote to rule them all....

prl

I think my Logitech Harmony 875 remote is the best value for money I've ever spent on A/V equipment :)

All our original device remotes live in a cupboard.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

firey49

Thanks guys for your inputs and yes I do have an intelligent remote BUT my point is that the Humax has a volume control and it has a bar graph that displays on screen as volume incrementing and decrementing but nothing happens AND that my friends is what has raised my curiosity. Why have a bar graph with on screen and it does nothing? if it does what audio output does it control?????

I am totally fine controlling master audio from the amp etc etc.

SO I open the discussion to this topic- what does it control????
Pete :-\

swamprat96

it controls the analogue audio output only. If you connect via RCA jacks to any device you'll find the volume will work

firey49

Thanks for  sorting that, I know it may be easy to check, but my unit is in a cabinet and rear access is a real bathplug and for me to hook up rca's to amp to check is about as easy as getting a date with Kylie Minogue so thanks you one and all.
Cheers Pete
;D

prl

Quote from: swamprat96 on January 16, 2012, 07:19:16 AM
it controls the analogue audio output only. If you connect via RCA jacks to any device you'll find the volume will work
It's the same on Beyonwiz and Topfield (or at least the TRF7000, I'm not certain about the rest). Most audio source devices don't even allow you to control that much. As I posted earlier, does your DVD player have a volume control?

I guess that having the volume control like this is so that on the simplest connection setups (PVR & TV only, analog video & audio) you only need the PVR remote for watching TV or recordings via the PVR once the TV input has been set. But we got by without volume controls on DVD players, component CD players, tuners, turntables, etc, so I'm not sure why manufacturers insist on putting volume controls on PVR remotes. Volume control belongs on your audio output device. So does mute, too, but unfortunately I don't have that on the old AM/FM receiver we use as our amplifier, so I'm glad to have it on the PVR remote.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

Dave at IceTV

Quote from: swamprat96 on January 16, 2012, 07:19:16 AM
Or just set the Humax to 2 Channel in the menu. Multi-Channel is passthrough and should only affect the HDMI and Optical outputs. While 2 Channel would affect all audio outputs.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service