Windows XP Media Center Support

Started by lukem, January 06, 2012, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lukem

On the 1st July 2012, IceTV will no longer support Windows XP Media Center. We recommend that all existing users upgrade to Windows 7 for a better experience. If this is not possible for you, please let us know.

csutak40

I am still on XP on my main computer, for various reasons I can't upgrade just yet.  I don't suppose it will matter, you haven't been able to offer much in the way of support for quite a while now. :P
Cheers,
Judy
Last Update Dec 9 2020; Beyonwiz V2, T2,

lukem

Hi Judy,

Of course we're not going turn anything off, so everything should still work as it does now. :) But seriously, with the upcoming version 4 for Win7 I really don't see any reason to remain on XP. We could also organise discounted Win7 licenses and hardware as part of an upgrade package.

Let me know if you're interested.

Regards,
Luke

csutak40

Well, the truth is that my computer itself could do with an upgrade (anything that could be added, has already been added  ::)).  It is a matter of working out my budget, but upgrading would involve having to replace quite a few of my peripherals and even more importantly, some of my favourite software may not work.  I ran the Win7 compatibility report, so I know that my printer and scanner (both working perfectly fine) don't have drivers available, but it doesn't list most of the software I'm running, so won't know if they work or not until I try to install them.  The two that I would be most worried about are not free or shareware (and are quite expensive) and I haven't upgraded them for a long time, because the version I'm using is fine for my purposes, but would really miss them if I could no longer use them.  Also (and I can hear the boo and hiss  :-[) I would also miss OE.  ;D  I just had a play with WLM, because someone told me they were similar - they lied.   :P
Cheers,
Judy

Dave at IceTV

Hi Judy,

It sounds like you're due a few new devices. New printers and scanners are cheap these days (as are HD PVRs, BTW). If you get the Pro or Ultimate versions of Win7 you can install the free XP Mode and run most XP programs.  And you may be surprised to find that Win7 may install and run on your old PC. I've seen Win7 running on old PCs that would have struggled with Vista.

I was reluctant to part ways with XP, and OE, but after buying a new PC 12 months ago I grew to really like Windows 7, and tolerate WLM.  There's very little that I miss from XP, but plenty I would miss from Win7 if I had to go back to XP.
cheers

Dave
Customer Service

csutak40

Hi Dave,
No doubt I will have to upgrade sooner rather than later, and I wasn't aware that you can run Win7 in XP mode, which made me more hopeful that my software will run.  Thanks for that info.  A friend of mine, who is quite a nerd had a look at WLM with me and I better not quote him in a public Forum :-)  We concluded that, if forced, Thunderbird is a more user friendly alternative.

Having said that, another reason I keep procrastinating about is, is that I just don't have the time (and patience) at the moment to go through the pain of reinstalling everything.  I just moved, still haven't sorted myself out, so the last thing I need it that!  :-)

As for s HD PVR, believe it or not, the reason I still use Toppy 5k, is because I love it, not because I can't afford to replace it.  :-)  In fact, I just purchased a backup one (second hand, of course) in case my beloved friend dies.  I only use MC for the HD channels that the Toppy can't record, (well, that is not entirely true, it can record them, but you can't watch them, without transferring them to the PC) or shows that I intend to keep long term.
Cheers,
Judy

crackles

Quote from: Luke at IceTV on January 06, 2012, 11:26:05 PM
Hi Judy,

Of course we're not going turn anything off, so everything should still work as it does now. :) But seriously, with the upcoming version 4 for Win7 I really don't see any reason to remain on XP. We could also organise discounted Win7 licenses and hardware as part of an upgrade package.

Regards,
Luke

I am highly interested in going to Win 7 but is it stable and reliable enough?
Also I don't have the time to put together a decent machine to meet my needs.
I have looked on the ICETV website but you only seem to offer propeitry systems, but I would like mine to be win 7 computer running WMC.

What can icetv offer in this regard. I have trying to find a decent builder that can build a system for me with proper parts but am struggling to find a local builder in Adelaide that has an undertsanding of the different requirements of a HTPC.

lukem

Hi Crackles,

We can offer a Windows7 HTPC solution much like a proprietary PVR with a new product due out later this year. This solution does not let you install 3rd party software, as reliability is the key, but will allow us to make additions through remote updates for popular software and services.

If you are interested, let me know.

crackles

Luke,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I maybe interested bur one of the reasons I like having a htpc is it's ability to change and adapt when required. It provides me with the flexibility of having and installing applications whi,h either assists with my entertainment.For example I can use my android taand et to contol mouse and keyboard activity when needed.

Having said that I can understand the need to control software etc if support is to be provided.
Let me know when avaliable and will make up my mind then based on what is offered. Sounds promising though.

Another app I like to use is one which allows me to control reboots and when standby shuts down or boots up. It's all about the flexibility of moding my system to suit.my needs.

Allan

Quote from: Luke at IceTV on January 06, 2012, 11:26:05 PM
Hi Judy,
Regards,
Luke

Hi Luke

Is the offer for Win 7 Pro or Ultimate still valid as I have hardware that wont run Win 8 but will run Win 7 and I like the option that it can run XP within Win 7?
I have only just purchased a Humax and now want to connect to a network server - my main PC.

Regards
Allan