Beyonwiz DP-P2 and IceTV

Started by firefly2662, May 21, 2009, 08:35:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefly2662

If I have made some changes using IceTV ineractive (e.g. queued up some recordings), will these only be updated to the Beyonwiz when it is next switched on or will it add them without having to power it on after making the changes??

prl

Quote from: firefly2662 on May 21, 2009, 08:35:31 AM
If I have made some changes using IceTV ineractive (e.g. queued up some recordings), will these only be updated to the Beyonwiz when it is next switched on or will it add them without having to power it on after making the changes??
On the Beyonwiz "Standby" means "almost completely turned off". The only thing powered up is the front panel, which has the clock, the restart timer and the remote receiver, as well as the display itself.

The main board with the CPU, video processors, memory, etc is powered down, so is the HDD and the network devices.

There's no way that the Beyonwiz can update IceTV when it's in standby.

It's quite unlike "Standby" in the TiVo, which means "almost everything powered up".

Some Beyonwiz owners use a "View" timer on the Beyonwiz to wake it up once a day to get IceTV updates.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

Nickwontlose

Quote from: prl on May 21, 2009, 09:11:36 AM
Some Beyonwiz owners use a "View" timer on the Beyonwiz to wake it up once a day to get IceTV updates.

How would you go about setting this up??

tonymy01

The same way you setup a normal timer, but you choose to make it a view instead of recording one.  This should be in the manual (well, how to create date_time/channel/duration timers will certainly be).   Hint: popup.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

mtb

Pop-up | Timer List | Red button

Set the Start Time and Duration and change the Recurrence to Daily.
Go down to Mode and use < > to change to View.
Go down to Accept and press OK.

I would suggest a duration of at least five minutes, perhaps ten.  The unit should now turn on daily at the required time to allow the updates to occur. 

One side effect that you might want to consider when choosing the time of day for the view timer, if you are watching the unit when the view timer ends it might turn off the device.  Admittedly we've only had the P2 for a few days but this is based on the behaviour of our S1 - I haven't nailed the exact circumstances but have seen this a number of times.  I would therefore recommend setting it about three in the morning if you don't want to risk this happening when you're watching during the day.
Beyonwiz DP-P2, Epson EH-TW5500, Pioneer VSXLX52 & BDP-320, Screen Technics 100” screen, WD Live TV x2, 6Tb NAS (Linux)
Beyonwiz DP-S1, VIERA TH-42PA60A
HTC Desire (rooted) Froyo
Topfield 5000MP

prl

Quote from: mtb on February 09, 2010, 01:02:47 AM
Pop-up | Timer List | Red button

Set the Start Time and Duration and change the Recurrence to Daily.
Go down to Mode and use < > to change to View.
Go down to Accept and press OK.

I would suggest a duration of at least five minutes, perhaps ten.  The unit should now turn on daily at the required time to allow the updates to occur. 

One side effect that you might want to consider when choosing the time of day for the view timer, if you are watching the unit when the view timer ends it might turn off the device.  Admittedly we've only had the P2 for a few days but this is based on the behaviour of our S1 - I haven't nailed the exact circumstances but have seen this a number of times.  I would therefore recommend setting it about three in the morning if you don't want to risk this happening when you're watching during the day.

You definitely want to set the View timer to start up at a time of day that you're not using the PVR. However, not so much because it might shut the PVR down (if the PVR is running when the timer starts, or you use the remote while it's running, it shouldn't shut down the PVR when it's finished), but because when it starts it will change the LiveTV service away from whatever service you are watching to whatever service the View timer is set to. If you happen to be time-shifting, you'll lose the timeshift buffer, too :(

Also, padding applies to View timers, so if you have any reasonable amount of padding set, the View timer will run for easily the 5 ot 10 minutes needed to safely do the IceTV updates.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

I have found (thru falling asleep while watching something on the HDD and waking up to ABC's "rage" at 4am when my view timer kicks in) that it also stops file playback and goes to live TV also.   I have my Wiz setup play files sequentially (oldest to newest) so at first wondered why it wasn't still playing files (hard to kind of think when snoozing for a few hours then suddenly wake up with the TV chugging away still).   I guess this makes sense, as a big part of the view timer's reason for being there is for being able to, say, record the tuner onto a DVD recorder hanging off the unit for example (although being a PVR you wonder why people don't just record it on the PVR and transfer it later...)
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on February 09, 2010, 09:41:20 PM
I have found (thru falling asleep while watching something on the HDD and waking up to ABC's "rage" at 4am when my view timer kicks in) that it also stops file playback and goes to live TV also. ...  I guess this makes sense, as a big part of the view timer's reason for being there is for being able to, say, record the tuner onto a DVD recorder hanging off the unit for example (although being a PVR you wonder why people don't just record it on the PVR and transfer it later...)
Yes. I think the idea is for non-digital recordings. I know it's a bit silly now, but there were probably more VCRs round when the Beyonwiz was first released.

I think there's a good case for there being a "Just Power On" timer, that simply brings the Beyonwiz out of standby like pressing the power button, and does no more except returning the Beyonwiz to standby if it came out of standby and has't been otherwise used (no remote or front panel activity). Padding probably shouldn't apply to this timer.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use