Icebox Buzzing Noise

Started by letherm, January 13, 2024, 11:05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

letherm

I have had my Icebox since early December 2023.

It has started making a buzzing noise.  It, and the tuners always seem to be quite warm so I'm thinking it's maybe a fan noise assuming there is a fan inside.  I'm not used to this device but build my own computers so this is an educated guess.

Anyone have an idea what this is?

Martin

IanL-S

One possibility is a temperature warning which often involves a buzzing. Do not know if the IceBox has an internal fan.

Go to System Information then select hardware which will give the current temperature. On my BYOB it is currently 45 C and on my (beta) IceTV IceBox 52 C.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

The IceBox does have a fan.  It is easily accessed by removing the four screws on the base and opening it up.  Maybe it's picked up a piece of dust?

letherm

Thanks for all the advice.

I took the bottom off the Icebox and can see know dust problems.  I've been looking at the temperature and it get above 70 degrees sometimes. Is that OK?

The buzzing noise has become less noticeable (I could originally hear it from my chair) but with the bottom off and the fan, which I believe is a cpu fan, stationary there is still a faint buzz regardless. Normal?

Regards,
Martin

MD

Hi Martin,

The IceBox electronics should be silent, and the built-in fan should be virtually imperceptible too unless the shelf/cupboard it is sitting on is working like some sort of sound box. I can't hear either of mine unless the room is silent and I lean over them.

Is the buzzing 50Hz as I suspect which could be a power supply issue but try plugging it in elsewhere to check any earthing loops etc.

Monitoring the CPU temperature via "Systems Information" > "Hardware" - Both my CPUs are 51 degC right now with no recordings or replay.  It increases to approx 61 degC when running a replay and 69 degC when initially running a recording and reply simultaneously but that dropped back to 61 degC. Running a replay and four recordings I got mine to 70 degC too.  So I'd suggest your is quite normal - we've all had hot knees when using our laptops!!

letherm

The low buzz was with the back off as I was looking to see if fan movement was causing the sound.  It was quite low.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.

Thanks,
Martin