Main Menu

Weird Freeze/s

Started by kazz, November 13, 2023, 08:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kazz

Strange occurrence today, came home from work, lounge icebox had frozen screen this morning on Today Extra, had to unplug power and plug back in, to get going again but it had recorded shows through the day. Just turned on the bedroom system and exactly the same scenario. 

IanL-S

I do not recall this happening with my IceTV IceBox since I "upgraded" the SSD. Even then only once or twice.

The good thing is that your recordings are still taking place.

Not sure what the underlying cause could be.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

MD

Did the freeze have any message on the screen such as needing WiFi password?

kazz

Quote from: MD on November 14, 2023, 10:40:44 AMDid the freeze have any message on the screen such as needing WiFi password?

Nope no message just the screen frozen on what was screening at the time.

Came home today and same thing, on the lounge icebox, this time just did a reboot from the power menu, I haven't checked the other box yet.

Edit: the bedroom one had frozen too, but a reboot from the power menu did not do the trick, I needed to pull the plug.

Edit 2: They both contained to record scheduled shows while frozen on both days. 

srto2

For what it's worth, my BYOB (Lenovo i7) has been doing the same,"paused" but unresponsive - presumably sometime overnight, for the last two mornings.  Selecting another channel and then back to the "frozen" channel clears the issue.  A subsequent reboot yesterday did not stop the same effect from occurring this morning.  I haven't looked in depth at logs or for anything software-wise that might have changed.  Yet.

raymondjpg

Quote from: kazz on November 14, 2023, 04:32:35 PMEdit: the bedroom one had frozen too, but a reboot from the power menu did not do the trick, I needed to pull the plug.
If you were able to reboot from the power menu, what exactly had been frozen, or where in the Kodi menus or displays had it been "frozen"?

btw I have not observed any freezing on my BYOB lately, but I only use it as a recorder.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

kazz

Quote from: srto2 on November 15, 2023, 10:22:36 AM"paused" but unresponsive - "frozen" channel

Quote from: raymondjpg on November 15, 2023, 01:22:38 PM
Quote from: kazz on November 14, 2023, 04:32:35 PMEdit: the bedroom one had frozen too, but a reboot from the power menu did not do the trick, I needed to pull the plug.
If you were able to reboot from the power menu, what exactly had been frozen, or where in the Kodi menus or displays had it been "frozen"?

btw I have not observed any freezing on my BYOB lately, but I only use it as a recorder.

What srto2 described is probably a better way of expressing it than what I did.  It's like it's paused a show and just stayed that way.  I pressed the power button on the remote to get to the power menu and reboot.
Both were frozen/paused again today, I rebooted the lounge box before I saw srto2's post but I tried selecting another channel and then back to the "frozen" channel on the bedroom box and that cleared the issue for now but will see what they do tomorrow.

raymondjpg

Quote from: kazz on November 15, 2023, 06:35:41 PMIt's like it's paused a show and just stayed that way.  I pressed the power button on the remote to get to the power menu and reboot.
The only thing I can think of is that the "freezing" you are referring to is live TV while you are away from the PVR/TV for some time. If that is the case then the solution would be to not leave live TV playing when not watching. If freezing occurs while watching then that would probably point to a more serious and immediate problem that would need to be addressed.

fwrw I use the IceBox as a backend for live TV in Windows implementations of Kodi, and have not so far experienced any freezing while watching.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

kazz

Quote from: raymondjpg on November 15, 2023, 11:14:02 PM
Quote from: kazz on November 15, 2023, 06:35:41 PMIt's like it's paused a show and just stayed that way.  I pressed the power button on the remote to get to the power menu and reboot.
The only thing I can think of is that the "freezing" you are referring to is live TV while you are away from the PVR/TV for some time. If that is the case then the solution would be to not leave live TV playing when not watching. If freezing occurs while watching then that would probably point to a more serious and immediate problem that would need to be addressed.

It happens during the day while I'm at work icebox is on as usual but tv is off.

IanL-S

I suspect it is not that the TV itself is on, rather than IceBox is showing live TV rather than the menu. I have had my IceBox freeze in that way, but not for a long time.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on November 16, 2023, 07:41:25 AMI suspect it is not that the TV itself is on, rather than IceBox is showing live TV rather than the menu. I have had my IceBox freeze in that way, but not for a long time.
That's what I thought may be the case. I see no benefit to leaving the IceBox streaming live TV while not watching.

IanL-S

Quote from: raymondjpg on November 16, 2023, 08:50:10 AM...... I see no benefit to leaving the IceBox streaming live TV while not watching.

+1
Synology NAS

MD

kazz

Quote from: raymondjpg on November 16, 2023, 08:50:10 AMThat's what I thought may be the case. I see no benefit to leaving the IceBox streaming live TV while not watching.

What do you all do with your box?  I've always just left it running, do you leave it in the menu screen?

One frozen picture today the other not.

IanL-S

I leave it on the menu. Need to stop live TV first.
Synology NAS