Main Menu

Recent posts

Getting Help / Re: IceBox failure after a sof...
Last post by raymondjpg - May 02, 2024, 03:50:23 PM
Quote from: TimC on May 02, 2024, 03:20:16 PMHowever, I am now wondering if the latest update is having an impact on the Startup routines.

My whole problem started when I tried the Soft Reset.  The Reboot stalled mid-reset and then nothing worked. I suspect that the soft reset is dependent on a reboot being successful, i.e. Interrupting the reboot stuffs up the reset process.

Rebooting is not something I do very often, but I never had any issues rebooting before the latest update.
It almost sounds like the issue IceBox users were having with the SSD. If it were me I would try a completely new install, following the procedures as suggested for a BYO setup, and see if that stabilises things.
Last post by TimC - May 02, 2024, 03:20:16 PM
Now that I have used it a bit, I do notice a few strange things.

Immediately after the Soft Reset, it was working fine.  Actually better than it had previously.
This was because I swapped the HDMI port I was using from the one nearest the power to the one furthest from the power and only had one device connected.
The flashing to a black screen whenever I went from a menu to a program had disappeared.
It Looks like the port furthest from the power is the best one to use.
I then reconnected the rest of the HDMI stuff and everything was working well.

Then I got the bright idea to make sure it would continue to work following a reboot.
The result was curious. 
First it wouldn't reboot.  It would shut down and then bring up the small IceTV logo and stay on it. Ten minutes later, I pulled the power and plugged it back in. It restarted OK.
So I repeated the restart and the same thing happened.
Next I tried a full power off. After that I tried to restart, and nothing happened. 
I pulled the power and plugged it back in and it started up normally.
However the IceBox was really sluggish.  There was a constant notification saying "TVHeadEnd Failed" and "TVHeadEnd Reconnected" constantly recycling. 
If I tried to play a recording or watch a live TV channel it stalled and eventually produced a popup saying something like "Playback Failed, check the Log for more information". After about twenty minutes the "TVHeadEnd" notifications stopped, however I still couldn't watch TV or play a recording.

Finally I tried a reboot, expecting it to stall, but it actually worked OK.
When I tried watching a Live TV channel and playing a recording and it all behaved correctly. Even better the Black screen/flashing issue was gone.

I have seen that others have had the TVHeadEnd Failed/Connected notification issue before and I think their solution was to Reboot. In my case I suspect the interrupted reboot meant that whatever was causing the issue didn't get cleared.  When I finally managed a clean reboot, all the issues were sorted.

However, I am now wondering if the latest update is having an impact on the Startup routines.

My whole problem started when I tried the Soft Reset.  The Reboot stalled mid-reset and then nothing worked. I suspect that the soft reset is dependent on a reboot being successful, i.e. Interrupting the reboot stuffs up the reset process.

Rebooting is not something I do very often, but I never had any issues rebooting before the latest update.

Last post by IanL-S - May 02, 2024, 09:04:34 AM
Great news that you managed to solve the problem, even if you are not sure how you managed to do so!
IceTV EPG Content / Re: New shows
Last post by BazzaG - May 02, 2024, 08:29:37 AM
Getting back on-topic....

Taskmaster Australia is returning to 10 later this month.

Thursday, 23rd May at 7.30pm on 10.
Last post by TimC - May 01, 2024, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: MD on May 01, 2024, 06:52:50 PMYou need a keyboard and power up the IceBox into the BIOS. Then in Save and Exit you can scroll down to choose the USB to reboot then go step by step

Ahh, I was selecting the USB in the Boot tab. In any case I ended up doing a Soft Reset in the strange version of the IceBox software that came up and it ended up working.

To be honest I am not sure I could repeat the steps I did to get it working in the end, but it is working now, thanks.
IceTV EPG Content / Re: Kindig Customs
Last post by aeb001 - May 01, 2024, 11:26:18 PM
'Rumble in the Rockies' - S09E13 < S09E11
Last post by MD - May 01, 2024, 06:52:50 PM
You need a keyboard and power up the IceBox into the BIOS. Then in Save and Exit you can scroll down to choose the USB to reboot then go step by step
Last post by TimC - May 01, 2024, 06:46:38 PM
I'm not sure what SSH is
As for doing a USB install I'm a bit stumped. 
I used the USB I set up for cloning the SSDs, but when I attempt to boot from it, I get an IceBox menu rather than Ubuntu.
From what I can tell, the IceBox software seems to be running on the USB.

I can see the Ubuntu USB from my network as a folder in ICEBOX network location.
I thought that maybe there was a copy of the update on the USB, but I can't see it anywhere.

I assume that if I attempt a Reset (hard or Soft) it would just reset the version on the USB.

I'm confused.

IceTV EPG Content / Re: Pawn Stars
Last post by aeb001 - May 01, 2024, 03:59:14 PM
'Pawnfellas' - S22E07 < S2020E18
IceTV EPG Content / Re: New shows
Last post by BazzaG - May 01, 2024, 01:13:36 PM
Quote from: BazzaG on April 24, 2024, 05:12:30 PMThe "1st" episode is currently listed at 60 mins, minus 20mins for ads & promos. I guess we'll see next Tuesday night.

Well, Seven has added 4 episodes to 7Plus:
https://7plus.com.au/the-marlow-murder-club
45', 44', 44' & 45', so it appears that each of the 2 UKTV episodes have been split into 2.