Using secondary internal SSD for recordings - not mounting in IceBox / LE / Kodi

Started by bpchia, July 27, 2023, 06:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bpchia

Hi all,

I purchased the tuner and remote from IceTV and repurposed an Intel NUC i5 seventh generation for the BYOB IceBox. Specs of my NUC are here: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95067/intel-nuc-kit-nuc7i5bnh.html

I have installed in the NUC:
  • 8GB RAM
  • Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 NVMe SSD MZ-V6E250BW which is where I installed IceBox
  • brand new Samsung 870 EVO 2TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E2T0B/AM) straight from the box (it had never been mounted or formatted before)

The 2TB Samsung SATA SSD I wanted to use for recordings. It was listed as an option to install IceBox to during the install, but now in Kodi I can't find it mounted anywhere, or how to format and/or mount it. I understand that ext4 formatting may be required but before I look into doing that via maybe the Libreelec forums, I thought I would ask if firstly it's possible to have a secondary drive for recordings, and if anyone would have time to give me a quick guide?

I would say I am intermediate in terms of computer literacy, but I don't have good command line skills like for SSH, but can follow directions for SSH or command line stuff.

Thank you for any help!

I haven't tested out recordings yet, but I'm really excited about the future of IceBox!

DeltaMikeCharlie

You can try going into the Kodi Configuration menu => System Information => Storage.

You should see some /dev/sdaX devices.  Do you see any /dev/sdbX devices?

The IceBox is based on LibreELEC.  You could try your search engine of choice and search for how to add a second internal drive.  In most cases, you will probably need to use the command line.

IanL-S

The /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 are for the the drive on which IceBox was installed.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: bpchia on July 27, 2023, 06:27:34 PMThe 2TB Samsung SATA SSD I wanted to use for recordings. It was listed as an option to install IceBox to during the install, but now in Kodi I can't find it mounted anywhere, or how to format and/or mount it. I understand that ext4 formatting may be required but before I look into doing that via maybe the Libreelec forums, I thought I would ask if firstly it's possible to have a secondary drive for recordings, and if anyone would have time to give me a quick guide?
Does this help https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/6720-formatting-and-mounting-2-hard-drive/?

Looks straightforward enough with "...Commands assume /dev/sda is the boot SSD and /dev/sdb is the secondary HDD. You need to check/validate /dev/sdb by checking dmesg output as the commands are destructive...."

I haven't done this myself, and further Googling found "..The dmesg command shows the log file contents. If you have issues using the dmesg command, open the log file in a text editor to view the contents..."

Worth a try I'd say.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

bpchia

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll just get a larger SSD for the moment until the IceBox software is more stable at least...so that it's easy to re-flash without worrying about setting it back up again...