Does "Copy SD shows to HD channels" actually do anything any more?

Started by prl, December 16, 2009, 06:15:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

I don't have it ticked, but as far as I can tell (ACT IceGuide) the Guides for the SD and HD services on SBS, ABC, WIN and Prime seem to be identical. The commercial networks report showing between about 2400 and 2900 hours of native HD/year. That means about 6 1/2 - 8 hours of native HD per day. I'd really like some way of having that recognised in my IceGuide.

I know that there have been grumbles about the "empty ABC guide" on the forum, but surely the fix for that is to just have "Copy SD shows to HD channels" ticked by default, not to remove all information about what shows are actually native HD from the guide?
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

JPP

Quote from: prl on December 16, 2009, 06:15:56 PM
I don't have it ticked, but as far as I can tell (ACT IceGuide) the Guides for the SD and HD services on SBS, ABC, WIN and Prime seem to be identical. The commercial networks report showing between about 2400 and 2900 hours of native HD/year. That means about 6 1/2 - 8 hours of native HD per day. I'd really like some way of having that recognised in my IceGuide.

I know that there have been grumbles about the "empty ABC guide" on the forum, but surely the fix for that is to just have "Copy SD shows to HD channels" ticked by default, not to remove all information about what shows are actually native HD from the guide?
Peter, where did you get this info from? I would surely like to see some of this HD material - stuff that is genuine 1080i materila and not upscaled SD or even 720p upscaled. Apart from One HD, which only shows true HD some of the time, where (channel/services) is the rest being shown on?
Phil.
Beyonwiz T2, DVDO Duo Video Processor

prl

Quote from: JPP on December 29, 2009, 10:30:16 PM
Quote from: prl on December 16, 2009, 06:15:56 PM
Peter, where did you get this info from? I would surely like to see some of this HD material - stuff that is genuine 1080i materila and not upscaled SD or even 720p upscaled. Apart from One HD, which only shows true HD some of the time, where (channel/services) is the rest being shown on?

HDTV quota compliance reports on the ACMA Web Site. Unfortunately it only reports number of hours by network & region. When all this good stuff is broadcast is not reported.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

The cricket is HD, whoopdy doo.  Actually, Nein has quite a bit of HD on 9HD, like many (all?) of the CSI franchises, the Aussie drama etc.  Seven has a reasonable amount of HD, Ten none (sniff), OneHD.. well, who gives a rats 90% of the time, SBSHD none, ABCHD... drop in the ocean of HD only.
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

prl

Quote from: tonymy01 on December 29, 2009, 11:30:48 PM
... SBSHD none, ABCHD... drop in the ocean of HD only.

SBS HD is now not entirely HD-free. They broadcast the last Ashes tour of England & Wales in HD. :)

I think the only current native HD on the ABC is a re-run of Bed of Roses.

There's little pressure on either to broadcast native HD, because the regulations let them report the total number of hours of program material the HD service as HD, whether it's native HD or not. SBS reports 7887 hours/year, the ABC reports 8325 hours/year to ACMA.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

tonymy01

Quote from: prl on December 30, 2009, 08:39:40 AM
SBS HD is now not entirely HD-free. They broadcast the last Ashes tour of England & Wales in HD. :)
Ahh yes, thanks for that.  You have a much better memory than I!
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).