Main Menu

EPG Issue in BYO?

Started by raymondjpg, December 26, 2023, 02:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raymondjpg

I have an ongoing issue with gaps in the epg with my BYOB installation. Currently with ABC and SBS, with the guide fully populating from 1.00 am Wednesday 27 December. This has been the situation for the past two days or so. No amount of clearing guide data in settings, forcing full guide update, or rebooting the box resolves the issue. I tried resetting the guide location from Canberra to Sydney, with the same result.

The gaps are not evident in an IceTV enabled BW T2 or the IceTV XMLTV feed.

The issue is not confined to ABC and SBS, but also observed quite recently with Channel 7.

My question is does this occur with IceBox, or is it an issue with BYO installations?
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

I had a similar problem late last week. I had to resort to a soft reset to get a full EPG.

It is my understanding this is problem with TVHeadend and that IceTV technical group is working on a solution.

Dud you get any emails about "airing not found" for any of the missing timers, and I assume an error appeared against them in the My Week listing.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

raymondjpg

Quote from: IanL-S on December 26, 2023, 04:19:19 PMI had a similar problem late last week. I had to resort to a soft reset to get a full EPG.

It is my understanding this is problem with TVHeadend and that IceTV technical group is working on a solution.

Dud you get any emails about "airing not found" for any of the missing timers, and I assume an error appeared against them in the My Week listing.
Thanks fpr the response. I have to wonder if you and I are in a very small minority running a BYOB IceBox. This is the first thread in the BYO section for three months.

If the epg gaps are a problem with IceBox as well as BYO I have greater confidence that the issue will be addressed.

I haven't seen any "airing not found" emails because I haven't any timers set before Wednesday evening when the epg is once again fully populated.

I guess if you've already resolved your epg issue with a soft reset, then you may not be seeing the same epg gaps that I'm seeing. If you haven't reset both of your installations, are you seeing any difference between IceBox and BYO?
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

IanL-S

The BYOB did not have gaps in EPG - In my case the there was no data at all rather than just gaps in the EPG, so it may be a slightly different issue. However I have experience gaps in EPG when doing beta testing, but that was some time back.

Hopefully a solution to this issue will be found - apparently there are a few thing in TVHeadend that need attention.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

robertdowdell

I noticed similar issues on my IceBox (not a BYOB) on Christmas Day. Forced a full download, restarted a couple of times. Currently ABC and SBS are missing data for today (Boxing Day) but everything seems OK for tomorrow (Wednesday). My Beyonwiz was also missing data but MD suggested a reboot to another user and when I did the same the EPG seemed to refresh.

raymondjpg

Quote from: robertdowdell on December 26, 2023, 07:01:29 PMI noticed similar issues on my IceBox (not a BYOB) on Christmas Day. Forced a full download, restarted a couple of times. Currently ABC and SBS are missing data for today (Boxing Day) but everything seems OK for tomorrow (Wednesday). My Beyonwiz was also missing data but MD suggested a reboot to another user and when I did the same the EPG seemed to refresh.
Thanks for that advice. It is pretty much what I am seeing, so I am somewhat reassured that the issue is more general with IceBox, and not just confined to BYO installations.

raymondjpg

The ongoing issue with gaps in the EPG persists, particularly noticeable in my case with the Prime network, is probably being addressed, but doesn't appear to be fully fixed yet.

Today, with EPG unpopulated for many channels for Tuesday 9 April from midnight Monday 8 April was fixed by a reboot, but the EPG, at least on one channel, is one hour out.

I saw this as well on a Beyonwiz T2, but the issue was resolved by tuning to one of the affected channels, forcing an EPG update that fixed the time discrepancy.

Encouraged by this I went back to the IceBox, tuned to one of the affected channels, waited 5 minutes, then re-checked the EPG. It was still one hour out.

A repeated reboot of IceBox did not resolve the issue.

So with IceBox, a timer set for a program on one of the affected channels has not set, because the timer shown on the IceBox web TV Guide page is one hour earlier than the time slot for the program registered in the IceBox EPG.

IanL-S

I am not noticing gaps in EPG data, not that I have been looking for them. Not getting any timer error messages due to absent EPG data. Similarly I have not noticed the one hour error in EPG.

The problems may be location specific, I am in Melbourne and we do not have Prime.

The problem is definitely unrelated to having BYOB - there is no difference beweep the behavior of my IceTV IceBox and my two BYOB IceBox.

It may be time to contact IceTV support ....
The absence of support for BYOB hardware issues does not apply to what is clearly an OS or server problem.
Synology NAS

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: raymondjpg on April 04, 2024, 01:24:29 PMThe ongoing issue with gaps in the EPG persists, particularly noticeable in my case with the Prime network, is probably being addressed, but doesn't appear to be fully fixed yet.

Today, with EPG unpopulated for many channels for Tuesday 9 April from midnight Monday 8 April was fixed by a reboot, but the EPG, at least on one channel, is one hour out.

I saw this as well on a Beyonwiz T2, but the issue was resolved by tuning to one of the affected channels, forcing an EPG update that fixed the time discrepancy.

Encouraged by this I went back to the IceBox, tuned to one of the affected channels, waited 5 minutes, then re-checked the EPG. It was still one hour out.

A repeated reboot of IceBox did not resolve the issue.

So with IceBox, a timer set for a program on one of the affected channels has not fired, because the timer shown on the IceBox web TV Guide page is one hour earlier than the time slot for the program registered in the IceBox EPG.

The one hour out could also be a symptom of daylight savings, there could be some weirdness until Sunday for the days after Sunday, but scheduled recordings will happen correctly as the guide data is updated.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 04, 2024, 01:52:40 PMThe one hour out could also be a symptom of daylight savings, there could be some weirdness until Sunday for the days after Sunday, but scheduled recordings will happen correctly as the guide data is updated.
That could account for it, although the T2 was able to self-correct. I'll just wait until after the weekend to see if everything lines up again on Icebox.

TimC

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 04, 2024, 01:52:40 PMThe one hour out could also be a symptom of daylight savings, there could be some weirdness until Sunday for the days after Sunday, but scheduled recordings will happen correctly as the guide data is updated.

I assume you have checked the regional settings?
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

raymondjpg

Interestingly something changed overnight. Timers have now been created in IceBox according to what is displayed on the My Week web page, but the IceBox EPG still shows those programs one hour later.

Looks like a daylight saving thing.

raymondjpg

It looks like my IceBox EPG is still showing program times one hour later than they should be. It's possible that a timer rule issue posted at https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=7932.0 is related.

There may be some clues as to what's happening in what is posted at https://tvheadend.org/d/5914-wrong-time-in-epg/3. Playing around with the EIT offset setting in Network config in the Web UI doesn't have any effect that I can see, as reported in this post, which also suggested no change in behaviour when running new network scan.

TimC

Thats the trouble with all this daylight saving nonsense. 
  • The cows don't turn up at the right time,
  • the curtains fade
  • PVR timing gets all stuffed up.

Maybe if we pray hard enough, we can get Joh Bjelki to rise up and fix all this stuff up.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Quote from: raymondjpg on April 09, 2024, 01:14:21 PMIt looks like my IceBox EPG is still showing program times one hour later than they should be. It's possible that a timer rule issue posted at https://forum.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=7932.0 is related.

There may be some clues as to what's happening in what is posted at https://tvheadend.org/d/5914-wrong-time-in-epg/3. Playing around with the EIT offset setting in Network config in the Web UI doesn't have any effect that I can see, as reported in this post, which also suggested no change in behaviour when running new network scan.

Is it all channels? or just some channels?

Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.