stooopid ten/minus-one - AFL game 1 NOT in HD just poultry sub-SD

Started by chopper, March 23, 2009, 11:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopper

Oh, glorious AFL in HD is nearly upon us in lowly Adelaide... yes yes ... well, NO actually.  Ten's website guide says "no data available" when you click on "HD".

According to ice and ebroadcast and yourtv.com.au and news.com.au STOOOPID channel Ten/Minus-One are NOT broadcasting our first round of AFL - the Adelaide-Collingwood game - in HD...  >:( >:( >:(   

NO, they in their ARROGANCE will torture us with sub-SD (ie their bitrate-constrained channel they choose to call SD).  What's competing on HD you ask... why, grand prix. yey, great.

The edit smart people definitely think they can't treat those adelaidians too badly, there's no lows they wouldn't stoop to, to p*th them off.

So much for freeview.  More like p*th-them-off view.  What interstate edit programming donkey lawyers persons thought that programming gem up ?  edit Dopies,  most of the adelaide population might say. 

(Yahoo TV says it's not on at all, just motor racing, so much for edit them)

ddre78

Ide rather have F1 in HD, the most watched sport in the world (outside of events that are on every 4 years), than some sport 2/3s of flip all people watch. In the grand scheme of world sport AFL doesnt rate.

However I do agree with you that even before it starts, Freeview is a disaster, along with Chan 10s interpretation of how to deliver it to us. The fact that Chan 10 now have NO non sport HD content is a disgrace. And yes, dont get me started on the quality that the SD/HD is being pumped out at. Im tempted to go back to my 32" LCD because TV at the mo looks bloody terrible on a big screen.

prl

Quote from: ddre78 on March 24, 2009, 03:10:27 PM
...  And yes, dont get me started on the quality that the SD/HD is being pumped out at. Im tempted to go back to my 32" LCD because TV at the mo looks bloody terrible on a big screen.
It won't be just Ten/One HD that'll be like that. The current modulation parameters (QAM 64; code rate 3/4; guard interval 1/16) that the commercial channels use give them 23 MB/s. They used to have their SD service at about 6Mb/s and their HD service at about 15MB/s.

Simple arithmetic says that if they squeeze in another SD service into the channel, they must cut the bitrates (and hence quality) of the other services.

By tweaking the modulation parameters (increasing code rate, decreasing guard interval) they can squeeze more bitrate out of the channel, but the cost is the channel gets more errors.

Claude Shannon Rules!
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

bruiser333

Quote from: ddre78 on March 24, 2009, 03:10:27 PM
Ide rather have F1 in HD, the most watched sport in the world (outside of events that are on every 4 years), than some sport 2/3s of flip all people watch. In the grand scheme of world sport AFL doesnt rate.

I didn't realise Australian FTA TV was transmitted worldwide?