How to control the channel search when doing a soft reset>

Started by Ian_AW, March 30, 2024, 08:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimC

Quote from: DeltaMikeCharlie on April 02, 2024, 02:48:55 PMProposed Solution:  For every mux that has channels without an LCN, tune to a single channel on that mux for a few seconds.

Suddenly it all makes sense.  Well Done DMC.

I recall a similar issue with a TV EPG.  When you turn a TV on and look at the EPG some channels are populated with data and others are not. If you select a channel with missing data it populates. It seems the LCN has a similar issue.
Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

TimC

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 02, 2024, 03:32:40 PMIs it really important to you have "LCN's" available?

The answer there is that it depends on how you control the IceBox.

If you are using the standard IceBox Remote, it doesn't add a lot of value apart from offering a consistent order of channels when using the backend data.

However, if you use a keyboard or some other type of remote control, it can make a big difference, especially when an alternate remote control has number buttons.

For example, if channel nine is missing the LCN you need to enter the related five-digit LCN that is assigned when the LCN is not captured. Whereas if the LCN is captured, you simply press the "9" button.

Icebox, Fetch box (Not IceTV Capable)

IanL-S

I like to have the LCN shown - just a matter of habit.

@Daniel Hall, sorting by channel name assumes all channels of a network start with the same text, so it may not work. This is not the case. Sorting by mux does group by network group, but not sure how this can be done for the EPG.

@Delta Mike Charlie (DMC), you have experimented with using Topfield RCU with LibreELEC, can you change the channel by entering the LCN?

DMC's observation about the populating of LCNs may hint at an easy solution; he may wish to investigate further, and report back.

One could take the view that those who want LCNs can when necessary edit them using the TVHeadend web server.
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

DeltaMikeCharlie

Quote from: IanL-S on April 02, 2024, 04:38:41 PM@Delta Mike Charlie (DMC), you have experimented with using Topfield RCU with LibreELEC, can you change the channel by entering the LCN?
Yes.  I use a different after-market RCU on my IceBox (not the Topfield) and using the number pad whilst watching live TV changes channel to the selected number.

Also, if you want to get LCNs:  After the Ice Wizard runs, just manually change to one channel on each network missing LCNs.  The LCNs should be populated and you can go on with your viewing.

raymondjpg

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 02, 2024, 03:32:40 PMIs it really important to you have "LCN's" available? Especially as they are not used for channel changing or really anything apart from channel ordering (if you go through additional hoops). Channel ordering can also be achieved by simply sorting by name as well.
Are we talking about Channel number as defined in the TVHeadend config as "The position the channel will appear on your EPG"? It looks like channel numbers there approximate to LCNs (in many cases) but many channels I need to see in Kodi are numbered 0. I don't know why that is, or if it's because I've played around renumbering channels in the past.

In any case I value the reconfigurable channel numbers in TVHeadend  because I like to see a particular channel order, not only in the EPG, but in the channel lineup in Kodi, by selecting channel numbers from back end in the Kodi PVR config. I wouldn't be totally dismayed if reconfigurable channel numbers were replaced by LCNs, I still think of TV channels that way, but I rather prefer things the way they are now.
Beyonwiz T2, Beyonwiz U4, IceBox BYO with Hauppauge WinTV-dualHD (x2), Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD

Ian_AW

Quote from: Daniel Hall at IceTV on April 02, 2024, 03:32:40 PMOk, so I have a question for everyone.

Is it really important to you have "LCN's" available? Especially as they are not used for channel changing or really anything apart from channel ordering (if you go through additional hoops). Channel ordering can also be achieved by simply sorting by name as well.

Especially as LCN's are not part of the actual DVB spec and are just added on for Australia and sent as additional data, which is why they are a bit hit or miss as to whether they get found or not.

Multiple transmitters are something we need to address however.

Yes, it is important to have the LCN, because the broadcasters use them. Also, if you drive the IceBox via a keyboard you can quickly enter the LCN to switch to the desired channel. I use a USB mini wireless keyboard and is much easier to move around. It also groups channels from the same broadcaster together and sorted. Also IceTV uses them - no do NOT change that.

I seem to recall talk about a web interface to do this but cannot find anything on what to do.

What I cannot understand is that the LCNs were working but I had to do a soft reset because an entire channel block  was missing.

IanL-S

I have seen instances where all the channels (LCN's) have been found but are not picked up in the matching process. Not sure if it is happening with the current build and quite some time since I first installed it. On all three units the LCNs are reported correctly (not sure if that was initially the case).
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

Ian_AW

Also, this happens after an IceTV account login details have been provided, So, why not just abide by the user's channel preferences set out there? After all, those channel preferences work including the LCNs.

Also, what happens with the channel details that are discarded? Maybe put them in a folder that the user can then decide what to do with them.

Ian_AW

Ok, I do not know what is happening.

I was testing a streaming service for a friend and the stream kept buffering on a 75 Mbps FTTP connection, so I decided to shut down the IceBox completely.

When I finished with the streaming service I restarted the IceBox and when I went to the EPG, all the channels were there showing their LCNs. Actually, just one was incorrect compared to my settings in my IceTV account. I have 9Go from LCN 99, whereas the IceBox used LCN 93.

Now, I do not know if it was the power cycling that corrected it, or if it was an IceTV EPG fetch that corrected it. If it was an EPG fetch that did it, why it did not set 9Go as per my IceTV settings.