Internative search for genre

Started by peterh45, March 02, 2009, 10:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterh45

Apologies if this has been asked before, but do interactive searches include the ability to search for genre?  I can't seem to get it to find "documentary" for example.  It doesn't make any difference whether I select titles, description or both.  I'd find this a very useful addition if it's not able to did it at the moment.

And whilst I'm on a roll, those of us that used TEDS before no doubt miss some of the power of regex searches .... I don't expect we'll ever have something like that with interactive, but can we at least have an OR function and brackets to assist with more complex searches?

Tks

Peter

Marc

We don't have the ability on the Interactive site to search by genre (yet ;) ). The only exception is for movies. All movies have "MOVIE:" at the start of the program name, so searching for "movie" will work.

We do have genre data in our EPG though, so genre searching could come at some point in the future.

QuoteMore advanced users may wish to take advantage of quotes and minus symbols, allowing for powerful search terms. A search for Ricky Gervais will actually search for a match of Ricky AND Gervais. Quotes can be used for exact phrase matching. Searching for “Ricky Gervais” (with quotes in the actual search field) will search for the phrase Ricky Gervais. Minus (“-”) can be used to exclude words or phrases. Ricky Gervais -Office would search for all instances of Ricky AND Gervais that don't also contain Office.
Quote taken from here: http://www.icetv.com.au/interactive/about

So we have AND searching and exclusion, but no OR searching. You can use multiple keyword recording/keyword favourites for OR.

peterh45

Quote from: Marc at IceTV on March 03, 2009, 12:02:37 AM
We don't have the ability on the Interactive site to search by genre (yet ;)

I'd find this really useful. After all, that's the whole point of genre isn't it? Gives you a bit of a clue about the type of program.  When do you reckon we might be able to do this?