If SD & HD shows are the same, they are redundant

Started by mattrobs, February 04, 2009, 02:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattrobs

It's redundant, right? (Apologies if I've missed it), but it would be better when favouriting shows, IceTV would recognise identicals and list it as one item (ala Keyword Favorites' Prefer HD).

Marc

They are two separate broadcasts of the same show though, so they both deserve to exist and be flagged as part of a favourite series (how else would you know the show is playing on both channels?). Some regions might have even more duplicates, due to metropolitan and regional stations overlapping.

If you'd prefer to not see the HD channels (or any specific channels), you can turn them off from the back of the widget.

You can also do the same thing from My Account to control what's shown on the IceTV Interactive website and iPhone app:
http://www.icetv.com.au/cgi-bin/webmembers.cgi?op=showIceguide

mattrobs

Can't we have something like Keyword Favouriting where you can "prefer HD", hence it chooses and displays the HD one only (when it's available)?

tonymy01

But favourites don't mean much do they?  You can do keyword recordings for sending recordings obviously, but the little yellow blob that indicates a fave show of mine means little apart from "why the heck doesn't it have a red blob on it yet" LOL.  I would want to know it was on both the SD and HD channels when scanning thru the ICE guide?
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Trial_Master

It would be nice to the have the following added 'Prefer High Definition/Standard Definition' options in Series Recording and the 'First runs only/First runs and repeats' options in Keyword Record/Keyword Favourite. The first option really needs to be fast tracked i see it was discussed by ICE back in Oct 08, it can't be too far away surely?

j s

Quote from: Trial_Master on February 06, 2009, 09:50:47 AM
it was discussed by ICE back in Oct 08, it can't be too far away surely?
IceTV is very aptly named - their development moves with glacial speed.

Neither of these requests should take long as both already exist in the other search type.

Trial_Master

Quote from: j s on February 11, 2009, 01:31:01 PM
it was discussed by ICE back in Oct 08, it can't be too far away surely?
IceTV is very aptly named - their development moves with glacial speed.

Neither of these requests should take long as both already exist in the other search type.

You would certainly think that is the case. Is anyone from Ice able to update us on the rollout schedule?

bruiser333

This feature would be especially handy now as the broadcasters are rejigging their broadcast patterns, presumably because of the Freeview changes. For example Lost no longer appears to be broadcast on 7HD.

Neon Kitten

It would be nice to the have the following added 'Prefer High Definition/Standard Definition' options in Series Recording and the 'First runs only/First runs and repeats' options in Keyword Record/Keyword Favourite. The first option really needs to be fast tracked i see it was discussed by ICE back in Oct 08, it can't be too far away surely?

I hope not. As it stands now, I get THREE timers set for "Medium" because I've had to leave it as "any channel" in case Ten decides to pre-empt it on OneHD with sport on any given week, as they are fond of doing.

We *need* a "prefer HD" option in series record, and we need it yesterday.

tonymy01

Quote from: Neon Kitten on February 14, 2009, 04:40:34 PM
We *need* a "prefer HD" option in series record, and we need it yesterday.
Yep, definitely.  You probably read my other woes about keywords.   I don't need to do keyword recording as I know the show name to record, but keywords is the only way to get a show to be preference to HD rather than SD.   But keywords for "medium, 24, lost, house" all appear in countless other program descriptions over a week, and often repeat shows too (can't select first runs or not with keywords).   We need an Interactive revamp, and in a hurry!
Regards
Regards
Tony

Beyonwiz DP-S1 & Topfield 5K (using PerlTGD to upload ICE EPG/timers for the 5K, normal ICE interactive for the Wiz).

Marc

Quote from: Trial_Master on February 11, 2009, 01:39:49 PMYou would certainly think that is the case. Is anyone from Ice able to update us on the rollout schedule?
To roll out new features reliably can be a big task.

Neon Kitten

Quote from: Marc-IceTV on February 15, 2009, 06:22:51 PM
Quote from: Trial_Master on February 11, 2009, 01:39:49 PMYou would certainly think that is the case. Is anyone from Ice able to update us on the rollout schedule?
To roll out new features reliably can be a big task.

Yes, it can, or it can be a simple modification.

Which is it? Who knows, since the question wasn't answered...

RogerTF1

We really do need a "Prefer HD" option now - not "at some point in the future".

I used to be able to set and forget - now with 7 and 10 killing their prime time simulcasts I have to set to "any channel" which means its either "set and get 2 copies" or "set and miss" because the Wiz was already recording 2 copies of another show.

I know that this has been mentioned many many many times but enough is enough - isn't this a core function?

tonymy01

This is why my keywords list is quite large now, essentially all 7HD and 10HD shows that juggle around between SD and HD, and/or shows coming up which are bound to do this.   I can't use the standard click and setup a series record any more on these channels unless I only want the show in SD (yuk, I use my Topfield 5K for that with the much more reliable and configurable PerlTGD... which includes preferences/priorities, regexp searching etc).
Regards
Tony

Neon Kitten

However last night's multi-listing of Medium on Ten (all three channels again) proved that sometimes, finding the Beyonwiz has recorded the show twice is a blessing.

Ten, as it turned out, didn't air Medium on OneHD at all, because whatever third-rate golf tournament it was they were screening went into "extra holes". Fortunately the SD recording of Medium was there as a backup.

I feel sorry for those who went out last night and set Medium to record from OneHD based on Ten's own EPG...