Windows 7 EPG support?

Started by Hellman109, December 29, 2008, 10:03:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hellman109

Hi,

Windows 7 Beta 1 has leaked, and will officially be out to Beta testers in about a week.  Does anyone know IceTV's plans in regards to EPG Support? I presume that support will happen, its just a matter of when.  Im pretty sure the data format structure needed for WIndows 7 hasnt been released yet, so I presume it will be then plus X time for development, but it may just need the XML feed plugged into it, or some changes to the XML feed that currently exists.

PS:
Ive run up the beta and media centre is FAR better on Windows 7.  The new (well re-designed DVD library) Movie library kicks ass, DVD cover views, you can import data, some how, to give it synopsis, etc. too.

The guide itself is apparently going to be colour coded for sport, new shows, etc. Which is a step up from all blue with some red dots.

The whole interface is much snappier, less delays, less lag, etc.

Its also GOOD at pulling data over the network now, before it was ultra laggy and annoying, but now media starts quickly, adding it is quick, browsing is quick, etc.

Apart from the movie library and apparent colour coding (I havent seen it yet, only run it up on my main PC, not my HTPC) they have just done minor improvements and bug fixes.

Oh, installing the Vista Leadtek 2000h tuner drivers bluescreened 7, havent tried other tuners but its one to watch for.

adriaanbw

Hi all,

I am currently running the Windows 7 Build 7000 32-bit on my HTPC and I can add a few comments here.

Firstly I agree with the OP that Media Center in Windows 7 is MUCH MUCH better than Vista. The interface has received some great, but minor tweaks that make it run much better. Channel changing appears to be quicker and more smooth. Play controls have received a tidy makeover, with the progress slider now being interactive allowing the user to navigate through a show just as if they were using any other media player (rather than cueing through using the button controls). The guide is also accessible via a button near the play controls meaning no more going back or going through the green button.

Mouse control is much better as well, as they have removed some of the annoying auto scrolling when you moused-over the arrows either side of menus and guides.

ICETV EPG is also working just fine following the same steps used to setup under Windows Vista (as you would expect given that Windows 7 has built upon Vista). Everything worked first time without any issues.

For reference, I am running:
Windows 7 Build 7000 32bit
AMD Athlon X2 2.4Ghz
2Gb RAM
WinFast DVT1000T tuner card - Windows Vista drivers from winfast site installed and worked first time!!!!
Logitech AirMX mouse
Logitech DiNovo Mini

NO hardware issues AT ALL - out of the box installation. I am not using any Logitech software though. Cannot verify that that works, but I don't need or use it. Cannot verify if the same issue with Vista+AirMX exists within Media Center as I believe this was caused by the Logitech software.

Hellman109

Are you sure its the Ice guide and not over the air guide?

The guide format is different to Vista, it changed in the TV Pack (final release had a DLL bug that wouldnt import the guide) and that different, however unbugged, guide is in Windows 7.

Nigel Roden

Hey guys,
I have been patiently waiting for icetv support for windows 7 as discussed in thel ater stages of this thread:
http://www.icetv.com.au/iceforum/index.php?topic=1206.0
Also the green button forum has this thread http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/2/293888/ShowThread.aspx
which discusses the various differences of the guide setup.
If you have succesfully loaded the ice tv guide data into windows 7 could you give a step by step guide and also some screen shots?
I hope there will some ice tv beta for windows 7 soon. I think the guys from ice tv are waiting for more info on the guide process though.
I hope they will give an update soon of were they are at.
cheers,

vfast

As hellman said - IceTV interactive as it stands does NOT work with Windows 7. I think people are confusing FTA guide info that Windows 7 can show with a working Ice guide.

Keen to help you guys beta test if you need someone :-)

dgaust

IceTV does not work in Win7 due to structural changes to the guide in Win 7 (and TV Pack). However, thanks to Niall over at xpmediacentre.com.au a solution may be very close.

He's been able to get xmltv data imported into the Win7 guide! So we know it can be done... hopefully it won't be too much longer, cause the EIT data is rubbish in content and on occasion they even get the show wrong.

IceTV's data is infinitely better.

Nigel Roden

Hi all,
It seems the information required with getting the data into win 7 is getting closer. See the following link:
http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/windows-7-epg-support/34626-windows-7-3rd-party-epg-via-loadmxf-4.html#post237570
I hope this means ice tv may have a beta up for running in Win 7 in the pipeline a little while after the info is released? An update would be great!
Cheers,
Nigel

Daniel Hall at IceTV

We definitely saw the post from Mike today...

Obviously we don't have a time frame for when a beta will be available but I'm sure something will be available soon after the info is released.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Nigel Roden

Thanks Daniel for the update. Looking forward to something when you release it. Now if legal at microsoft could release the document sooner...there would be many more testers happy!
Cheers,
Nigel

shawnf

Quote from: dgaust on January 16, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
IceTV does not work in Win7 due to structural changes to the guide in Win 7 (and TV Pack).

Well my IceTV guide is certainly working with windows 7 I have a guide out to a week in the system. I also had no issues with IceTV working with the TV Pack as soon as it came out it worked. I had to revert back since I could not get the 4 tuners to work with home premium but the guide seems to work fine for me.

adsjc

Quote from: shawnf on February 01, 2009, 12:25:23 PM
Well my IceTV guide is certainly working with windows 7 I have a guide out to a week in the system. I also had no issues with IceTV working with the TV Pack as soon as it came out it worked. I had to revert back since I could not get the 4 tuners to work with home premium but the guide seems to work fine for me.
Quote from: vfast on January 12, 2009, 07:30:20 PM
As hellman said - IceTV interactive as it stands does NOT work with Windows 7. I think people are confusing FTA guide info that Windows 7 can show with a working Ice guide.

Keen to help you guys beta test if you need someone :-)
Man I think we are going to get a lot of this... It DOESN'T work, its just NOT possible.  :D

dgaust

Quote from: shawnf on February 01, 2009, 12:25:23 PM
Quote from: dgaust on January 16, 2009, 09:31:21 AM
IceTV does not work in Win7 due to structural changes to the guide in Win 7 (and TV Pack).

You're kidding yourself if you think it works. You're using EIT data (the 7 day guide broadcast over the air) and it's absolutely rubbish.....

shawnf

You're kidding yourself if you think it works. You're using EIT data (the 7 day guide broadcast over the air) and it's absolutely rubbish.....
[/quote]

Thank you for pointing out my error. I was not aware there was another EPG that my machine was picking up, which is why I got ICETV in the first place. I shell keep an eye on it.

chiefhershy

Working great for me. Thanks for the quick turnaround. Will keep you updated if anything goes pear shaped.