Custom padding for different programs?

Started by nigel984, April 23, 2007, 09:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nigel984

Hello,

I have a few questions about how PIMP works.

I noticed that the event log shows a long list of "padding updates":

Starting padding updates...
Checking Home And Away
Checking Family Guy
Done updating the paddings.

Are there custom on-the-fly padding's per show ala TiVo? Even if they were half accurate, it would save my wife so many headaches :)

Second question:
Could the PIMP client be optimised? It is a bit of a memory hog for what it does and also when updating the program seems to freeze the application GUI a bit.

I really like the two way series syncronisation. It is not practical to add series to the IceTV website but it is definitely fine to add it to VMC and let it sync back to IceTV. Hopefully IceTV series recording could catch onto this too!

I look forward to hearing about what the padding's are for!

nigel984

Usually IceTV takes up about 20MB (which is still enough to be bloated). But its currently taking an insane amount of RAM (see attachment).

I assume restarting will fix it but to think it leaks like this explains a lot of my HD swapping issues.

- Update:

It even went upto 300MB after restarting the application and opening the event log.

Clearing event log fixed the memory problem and it is back down to 10MB and seems like it is running much better now.

Maybe an auto prune on the event log would be handy - sorry if i sound like i am telling anyone what to do! :)

nigel984

No comments from developers?

I might write a script to delete the C:\Users\mediacenter\AppData\Roaming\IceTV\PIMP my MCE\history.log file every 24 hours until there is a fix.

thanks anyway.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Nigel,

I have been in contact with the developers, and the log file should only be keeping 3 days worth of logs.

When the log file was big how old was the oldest entry in there?

We have a system setup in here but its only been two days since the last rebuild and we are waiting to check whether the log file gets pruned, so we should have some more information shortly.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

nigel984

Hi Daniel,

I dont believe it was a case of X number of days, rather a lot of debug messages being spewed into the event log.

At once stage it even was upto 480MB (!).

The problem has been OK for now and I suspect when I format and reinstall windows it will probably not have the same errors like it did.

Anyway, thanks for the update!