Grimm - Wesen are monsters, Wesen is not a character

Started by prl, January 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prl

The summary for Grimm - Island of Dreams says "When Wesen's spice shop is burgled". In Grimm, Wesen is not an individual's name as suggested in the summary, Wesen are the monsters in general. The German Wesen = being/beings (the plural and singular have the same form). Should be "When a Wesen's shop is burgled".

Not that that's anything compared to the mess Grimm makes of German pronunciation, especially of Wesen (which they pronounce as wessen, a perfectly good German word that means "whose" ;)
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

prl

Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

futzle

Quote from: prl on January 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
Not that that's anything compared to the mess Grimm makes of German pronunciation

I winced at "Jaegerbär".  No one told them it's actually the same vowel twice...

(Edit: spelling.  Oh, the irony.)

prl

Quote from: futzle on January 16, 2013, 08:09:06 PM
Quote from: prl on January 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM
Not that that's anything compared to the mess Grimm makes of German pronunciation

I winced at "Jaegerbär".  No one told them its' actually the same vowel twice...
I winced more when Monroe "corrected" Nick and told him that the plural of Blutbad was Blutbaden, not Blutbads.

Blutbad = bloodbath (in the same sense as in English). The plural of "Bad" (bath) in German is Bäder; "baden" is the verb "to bathe". If you must insist on using the German plural form in English, then it should be Blutbäder. But then you'd need to know the German plural forms for imported nouns, and German plurals are very irregular. Plural of Volkswagen, anyone? :)

The funny thing was that when Monroe was required to actually read some German in a recent episode, he did a passable job of it.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use