Firmware 1.1.10579: SKIPPA stops contacting IceTV Servers

Started by IanL-S, September 29, 2015, 12:12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IanL-S

I have had this happen twice with this firmware. The solution is to reboot the SKIPPA (Menu; Settings; General; Restart). Alternatively remove the power plug from the back. You can check when the SKIPPA last checked in with ICE TV Servers logging into My Account, and selecting the Guide Settings TAB.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
No IceTV: a few Toppys and T2
Synology NAS
Check out the oztoppy wiki and oztoppy Forum for Toppy help

drjacka

I've been having this issue since first boot yesterday. Unplug and plug it in but then sometimes when I set a series recording it gets stuck on the contacting servers screen and I have to do it all over again. Very frustrating.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Guys,

We have added this to the known issues list and are working on a fix.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Gary Makin

How often should it be contacting the servers? What are the implications for it not doing so?

IanL-S

Quote from: Gary Makin on September 30, 2015, 10:13:51 PM
How often should it be contacting the servers? What are the implications for it not doing so?

The contacting the server seems to be at least as frequent as Toppys (every 15 minutes); it may well be more frequent than that.

Ian
IceTV: IceBox + BYOB IceBox + 2xTRF-2400 + 2xTF7100HDPVRtPlus + SKIPPA [RIP] + T2 + U4 + V2
Synology NAS

Daniel Hall at IceTV

The SKIPPA currently updates every 10 minutes.

If the updates do stop then new timers and EPG information will not be downloaded from the IceTV website.

We believe we have found the issue and once fixed testing will begin very shortly.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

IanL-S

Daniel, it occurs to me that there must be an easier way users to work out when the SKIPPA has stopped talking to IceTV servers. Could there be a way of finding out from the SKIPPA itself? I was thinking of email notification of failure of the SKIPPA to contact IceTV servers, but there is the issues of unwanted emails when the SKIPPA is completely powered off (and that is done deliberately).

Ian

PS This would not work for other PVRs such as Topfield as they do not interact with the IceTV servers when in standby mode.
Synology NAS

warkus

Hi Ian,

That feature is already in your IceTV account, albeit not exactly, ie it needs refinement from IceTV to make it work for this particular scenario...

At the moment you can tick the box for "Notify me if my recorders don't download EPG for a week".

So with that in place, all they have to do is change it so that it's a selectable time period, an hour, a day, a week, a month... Etc...

Then it can work for this scenario much better. With that ticked it would work now but a week is obviously way too long of a time period.

Mark

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Hi Guys,

The reminder is currently set to 5 days of no activity, we are looking at getting in a quick override just for SKIPPA users (along with an updated email with more info) to mitigate the issue until a fixed firmware is released, we would probably look at setting the threshold for SKIPPA to 12 hours of no activity to try and catch these issues early.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

Daniel Hall at IceTV

Just as an update this has now been implemented, if your SKIPPA does not download an EPG update from the IceTV server for more than 12 hours we will send you an email to let you know along with the steps on how to restart the SKIPPA to get it back up and running again.

This should hopefully give people a heads up until this issue can be fixed.
Regards,

Daniel.
CTO.

hoadie

Daniel, this doesn't seem to be working. I didn't have any EPG updates from the 30th Sept until the 3rd Oct when I saw a recording was missed... Which happened to be the AFL grand final.

jas55

warkus

Stop duplicate posting in multiple threads, once is enough, not 3 times in 3 different places, give us a break, call them if you need to know before it is responded to, far out...

And use some manners for goodness sake.

IanL-S

Yes, multiple posts is over doing it.

From long experience with PVR firmware I can say without fear of contradiction that frequently things pop up that mean that it is best to delay the release. I am sure we all are agreed that a buggy update would not be well received.

Ian
Synology NAS

jas55

Quote from: warkus on October 06, 2015, 08:00:00 PM
Stop duplicate posting in multiple threads, once is enough, not 3 times in 3 different places, give us a break

And use some manners for goodness sake.

the reason i post in multiple threads is because i didn't know where to post my question so i picked the 3 best threads regarding my question. i wasn't trying to be rude i was just asking a question.