Channel Nine restrictions over?

Started by Kirben, April 22, 2009, 01:16:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crippstor

+1 to the comment by djos, let's hope logic prevails on the 18th

Madeleine IceGuide

Hi

Just to keep everyone in the loop... the court date has been moved to Friday May 22nd. This was beyond our control and had to do with legal paperwork from the High Court.

Thanks 

dJOS

Arrgh, Justice eh!

Thanks for the update Madeleine
My Home Theatre Project

Quad Tuner 7MC box now replaced by 2x TiVo's HD's by order of the Wife!

machunter46

dJOS

I can still see "N/A Channel Nine". :(
My Home Theatre Project

Mitch IceGuide

There are still restrictions and IceTV do not have any rights or intention of 'copying' any other guide. We still utilise out predictive process, as we did before the court case. However, it is true, the Channel Nine Guide will improve. Over the next week you will notice the N/A's disappear as we re-employ our original methods. Thanks for your patience on this.

dJOS

I Thought "time & title" where deemed by the high court* to be not copyrightable as they weren't considered "original literary works" as apposed to the show descriptions which are considered literary works?

*I'm not a lawyer but I read the all transcripts in their entirety.
My Home Theatre Project

Vortical

Quote from: Mitch IceGuide on May 23, 2009, 12:27:21 PM
There are still restrictions and IceTV do not have any rights or intention of 'copying' any other guide. We still utilise out predictive process, as we did before the court case. However, it is true, the Channel Nine Guide will improve. Over the next week you will notice the N/A's disappear as we re-employ our original methods. Thanks for your patience on this.

That's great news Mitch
Thanks for the update.

It might be worth putting some info in a news article and email update  :)

prl

Quote from: djos on May 23, 2009, 12:32:22 PM
I Thought "time & title" where deemed by the high court* to be not copyrightable as they weren't considered "original literary works" as apposed to the show descriptions which are considered literary works?

*I'm not a lawyer but I read the all transcripts in their entirety.

What you say is, as far as I know, correct, but the orders issued in the first appeal by Nine are still in place. IceTV is bound by them until the orders are lifted by the court that imposed them (which wasn't the High Court). That is expected to happen at the hearing due on Monday 24 May. "The Wheels Of Justice grind slow, but they grind exceeding fine ..."

Also very much not a lawyer, but Madeleine at IceTV has said much the same.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use
Beyonwiz T2, T3, T4, U4 & V2 for testing

machunter46

1.  There is no Monday the 24th of May this year.
2.   Per Madeline post above hearing had been postponed and rescheduled for Fri the 22
May.
3.   Hopefully details of the result will be posted eventually  but they havebeen alluded to in a post above by Mitch.

machunter46

It is currently 9:52 AM in Sydney and a complete 7 days worth of Ch 9 seems to be available! 

dJOS

Adelaide data is up to scratch now too! :)
My Home Theatre Project

prl

Win HD in the ACT is almost all "N/A Channel Nine". For example, on Sat 30th, there's a single block of "N/A Channel Nine" on ACT WIN HD starting at 00:00 and running 1440 minutes - that's 24 hours, folks! Other days have more blocks but it's mostly N/A.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use

machunter46

I wasn't actually using the 9HD data in Sydney but have just turned it on.  4hrs N/A Sun am in Sydney otherwise fine.  ( HD seperate programming is very new.

prl

This is what I'm currently seeing as "N/A Channel Nine" in the WIN NSW HD IceTV guide for the ACT:

Date
    Time    Duration

Wed 27 May
    0900    2h
    1630    3h
    2130    1h

Thu 28 May
    0300    2h
    0500      30m
    0900    2h
    1630    5h

Fri 29 May
    0215    3h15m
    0900    2h
    1630    1h30
    1800    6h

Sat 30 May
    0000   24h

Sun 31 May
    0000    3h
    0300    2h
    0500    2h
    0700    4h
    1800    2h30m

Mon 1 Jul
    0200    3h30m
    0900    2h
    1630    4h
    2130    1h

Tues 2 Jun
    Only ABC and SBS data available

The prime time shows that actually do show up in the prime time/Evening (6pm-12am) ACT IceGuide for WIN NSW HD are:

Wed 27 May
    2030    The Mentalist
    2230    Young Lions
    2330    Stingers

Thu 28 May
    2130    The Footy Show (AFL)
    2330    Rugby League: Super League (UK)

Fri 29 May
    No WIN NSW HD programming in the IceTV guide

Sat 30 May
    No WIN NSW HD programming in the IceTV guide

Sun 31 May
    2030    CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
    2130    CSI: NY
    2230    Days that Shook the World
    2330    MOVIE: Tigerland

Mon 1 Jun
    2030    Sea Patrol
    2230    AFL: Footy Classified
    2330    Comedy, Inc.

Tues 2 Jun
    Only ABC and SBS data available

All the shows I've listed except The Mentalist, CSI, CSI: NY and Sea Patrol, are in slots where the programming in WIN NSW HD is different content from WIN NSW. For what's in the guide, when WIN NSW HD is showing different content from WIN NSW, the WIN NSW HD content isn't HD (this last point should be taken as a criticism of WIN, not of IceTV).

Complete? I don't really think so.
Peter
Beyonwiz T4 in-use